The Iran and Wider Middle East Thread

One thing is clear: the Iron Dome has largely failed to stop most of these missiles. Or perhaps Netanyahu is letting them hit, so he has an excuse to retaliate harder or escalate his war.

Yeah looks like the Iron Dome missiles are an order of magnitude slower and unable to defend against this battery.

It's not the Iron Dome's failure per se - it's a short range, point defense system, not really designed to intercept ballistics. It's a failure of the whole Israeli air defense network: Patriot, Arrow, air to air interceptors.

Anything is possible at this point. If Iran did use hypersonic missiles, then I am not sure if any air defense system would be of much use.

It's something of a gray area - hypersonic speed is Mach 5 and above, and almost every ballistic missile can cross this threshold, once it reaches high altitudes. But to classify as a "true" hypersonic weapon, the missile should be able to (among other things like maneuverability) maintain its speed, including the terminal phase.
Now in this particular case, the Fattah missiles (at least in theory) can reach the speeds of Mach 13 mid flight and Mach 5 in the terminal phase, so they meet the hypersonic standard.
Fattah-missile-EN.jpg

It's something of a gray area - hypersonic speed is Mach 5 and above, and almost every ballistic missile can cross this threshold, once it reaches high altitudes. But to classify as a "true" hypersonic weapon, the missile should be able to (among other things like maneuverability) maintain its speed, including the terminal phase.
Now in this particular case, the Fattah missiles (at least in theory) can reach the speeds of Mach 13 mid flight and Mach 5 in the terminal phase, so they meet the hypersonic standard.
View attachment 12809
As I understand it, a key feature of these missiles is not just the speed, but the ability to vary their flights to avoid missile defenses, and yet still have high accuracy in hitting their targets.

I'm surprised the US is so far behind, with seemingly every US adversary having more advanced hypersonic missile capabilities.

As I understand it, a key feature of these missiles is not just the speed, but the ability to vary its flight to avoid missile defenses, and yet still have high accuracy in hitting their targets.

I'm surprised the US is so far behind, with seemingly every US adversary having more advanced hypersonic missile capabilities.
Well, we all know Diversity is our greatest strength. Who needs 140 IQ White men developing new technology, we have new and diverse engineers.

As I understand it, a key feature of these missiles is not just the speed, but the ability to vary its flight to avoid missile defenses, and yet still have high accuracy in hitting their targets.

Speed above Mach 5 including the terminal phase, maneuverability at these speeds, and precision are key requirements to meet the hypersonic standard.

Well, we all know Diversity is our greatest strength. Who needs 140 IQ White men developing new technology, we have new and diverse engineers.

The US military has more rigorous standards: "it has to have a scramjet engine or it's not a real hypersonic". And it's the obsession to meet the most demanding standards is what keeps us lagging behind the competition. We could easily build missiles like the Fattah - in fact we had similar missiles in the past: the cold war era Pershing 2, but we axed them and froze our theatre ballistic programs after the INF treaty.

Last edited:
Looks like another measured response, they knew it was coming - but still couldn't stop it, and that was the point Iran is making here, we can hit you wherever, and in 400 seconds, so pipe it down.

Not a single Jew was harmed apparently. Strange. Anyway. Soon a little debate is going to be settled.

@Cooper Do you want an apology once the s-400/s-500 starts defending Iranian air space?
The S-400 would be effective against air bombing runs, but much like the Iranian showed, it could be defeated by throwing a lot of cheap targets at it to sponge up the relatively smaller inventory of expensive interceptors.

The Russians have quality AA batteries, and the quantities as well.

Back