The DEI Thread

I'm a contractor to the federal gov't. The federal team we're working with is nearly all women, about half is minority.

They were responsible for answering a document of questions 5 days ago and didn't do it. They had forgotten completely about it, so we went through it on a call. At the end, one of the womyn asked if we had any ideas on how to keep track of tasks and projects for her and her team.

I masterfully made sure my camera was covered and was on mute and cracked up.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

She's a project manager and can't keep track of tasks. A middle aged woman who doesn't know how to adult. How does one get a white collar job in an organization if you don't have an idea on how to keep track of tasks with a computer?

Bernie Sanders Diversity GIF by Democratic National Convention

Oh my belly hurts.

Major League Soccer Laughing GIF by Chicago Fire Football Club

She's a project manager and can't keep track of tasks. A middle aged woman who doesn't know how to adult. How does one get a white collar job in an organization if you don't have an idea on how to keep track of tasks with a computer?
This almost described my brother's experience as well. He told me that his CEO's daughter - fresh out of college - was a project manager with no experience to lead my brother's team of highly qualified engineers (software, electrical, system, etc.). She didn't know what the heck she was doing; she left the company after only a few years. My brother was p*ssed and complained to his manager -- demanded to know how she was given a job that she wasn't qualified for.

He mentioned she got married and became a mother after she quit. Here is the shocker: the "strong empowered girl" and her husband live four houses down from my mother's house. 🏡 Me: "No kidding!" 👀 I told him that would explain why they are so dang lazy - which he confirmed - due to their messy yard and driveway -- i.e., uncut grass, grown weeds, empty garbage cans that would sit by the road for days, etc. In the winter time, they don't bother shoveling the snow out of their driveway. Their house is an eyesore.🤦‍♂️

See the below astute comment from 4chan in February 2023.

Now apply that filter in the context of the New York Times backtracking today on DEI (which they helped to initiate and push!) in this globohomo-slop word-salad article: archive.ph/i6Gv9

Don’t fall for it. They want you trusting the system and to die for globohomo in one of their pathetic wars.

1729137876959.png

fresh out of college - was a project manager with no experience to lead my brother's team of highly qualified engineers (software, electrical, system, etc.).
Good thing for the most part project manager is actually a fairly useless job if you have competent people who know what they are doing. Generally engineers are pretty smart and can manage themselves with minimal supervision and generally don't actually need a project manager. Project manager is generally one of those useless paper pushing jobs.

See the below astute comment from 4chan in February 2023.

Now apply that filter in the context of the New York Times backtracking today on DEI (which they helped to initiate and push!) in this globohomo-slop word-salad article: archive.ph/i6Gv9

Don’t fall for it. They want you trusting the system and to die for globohomo in one of their pathetic wars.

View attachment 13230
War will serve as a vector for the intended genocide.

Stay armed in any case.

Good thing for the most part project manager is actually a fairly useless job if you have competent people who know what they are doing. Generally engineers are pretty smart and can manage themselves with minimal supervision and generally don't actually need a project manager. Project manager is generally one of those useless paper pushing jobs.
I don't know. When I have a really good project manager, who understands software development, the project just sings. I don't want to do that menial crap, I want to focus on building cool stuff. A good PM will support you and back you up to the C Levels and the client.

The problem is there aren't very many of them and DEI only exasperates the situation.

I don't know. When I have a really good project manager, who understands software development, the project just sings. I don't want to do that menial crap, I want to focus on building cool stuff. A good PM will support you and back you up to the C Levels and the client.

The problem is there aren't very many of them and DEI only exasperates the situation.
I think a good project manager is critical. Running a project successfully is like creating a successful business, or winning a war. Everything in the world is conspiring to undo and ruin the project. Even if the engineers are talented, they will go in circles and get little done without effective direction. Leadership is essential.

I imagine there are some organizations whose structure is well established, so engineers follow the established procedures, and the Program Manager is just checking off boxes on their paperwork. However, in a lot of cases the Program Manager is the coach and the quarterback in one, driving the team forward to victory.

Elon Musk is an example of that with the Starship. He made that work in a short time, with a remarkably small amount of money, and a remarkably small team. As it said in a Tweet I recently posted, NASA couldn't build the Starship and make it work, even if they were given all the plans, software, specs, and everything, and they had all the money and time they wanted. This is true because NASA lacks the program managers who could make it happen.

Back