Lifter's Lounge

4 cups of rice and 20 oz of chicken (split up at 4 meals) is 800 + 1000 kcal total.

Add some fats here and there like olive oil, but you're still barely getting 2000kcal with a high volume of food. (Vegetables and fruit are so low caloric density I really don't count them unless I'm eating like 2 avocadoes)

So for me if really active and not trying to lose weight, it's 5 oz beef/chicken and rice/potato x 4 a day + a 500 kcal shake and I'm hitting 2500 kcal... And I may add another meal of meat/eggs on top of that to get it up to 3000kcal on leg day.

If I'm trying to lose weight, it's the above, but one of those is a salad with no carbs.

That's a lot of volume of food. Most people are not actually logging their macros and haven't been doing it long enough to know what's in a meal.
Yeah I started being more observant of this stuff recently. The only way to gain weight really is by consuming lots of fats, refined carbohydrates, or by drinking your calories. Ultimately it's still calories in minus calories out, but those things are where the calories are.

If anyone is struggling to gain weight and you're drinking water for every meal, just try replacing that water with whole milk. I put on 30 lbs in about 3 months once largely through drinking lots of milk. Of course most of that was fat because I bulked too quickly, but the point stands.

Yeah I started being more observant of this stuff recently. The only way to gain weight really is by consuming lots of fats, refined carbohydrates, or by drinking your calories. Ultimately it's still calories in minus calories out, but those things are where the calories are.

If anyone is struggling to gain weight and you're drinking water for every meal, just try replacing that water with whole milk. I put on 30 lbs in about 3 months once largely through drinking lots of milk. Of course most of that was fat because I bulked too quickly, but the point stands.
Of course you mean good weight, but like I said above I was amazed at how hard it is to get in 4k calories a day when you eat clean. Especially when you compare it to how easy it would be with pizza, ice cream, and potato chips.

If wanting more protein/fat I’ve always loved the Greek yogurt and protein powder mix. Comes to 70-80 grams of protein to cap off the day and tastes like a bowl of chocolate pudding. Throw some berries on top.

I use it whether cutting or clean bulking.

If wanting more protein/fat I’ve always loved the Greek yogurt and protein powder mix. Comes to 70-80 grams of protein to cap off the day and tastes like a bowl of chocolate pudding. Throw some berries on top.

I use it whether cutting or clean bulking.
Yes. My reccomendation is the fage brand.

You didn't realize this is the " Lifting weights and gaining muscles Sux thread?"

The summations bout strenght bring correlated to absolute athleticism and not being required is very dumb. In fact it is one of the dumbest tropes that Meatheads aren't athletic.

Repetition strength is down stream from absolute strength. Tendons and ligaments are strengthened through heavy repeated bouts.

Why nearly all the most gifted athletes do weight lifting?

Why does Joe Rogan interview Louie Simmons about his Powerlifting gym and how he also trains Track and field, and MMA fighters AND Bodybuilders and Olympians accross multiple sports.

Why do they go to Charles Poliquin or Christian Thibadeaux?

It's not saying to not lift weights, There's many videos floating around of Ben Patrick lifting weights ((who was mentored by Charles Poliquin (Whom @It_Is_My_Time promotes AFAIK in an unclear manner))

Ben's Articles

TL : DR God didn't make a mistake when he designed the human body, and we should work with that design. Address imbalances and inflexibility first then, strengthen everything through a full range of motion. Keep your eyes on your own progress, control your mind, then your body.

I recently injured myself, my wrist was sprained from something at work, and as I couldn't hold the barbell for anything other than a squat, I had to switch to dumbells, on my 3rd workout with dumbbells, I pulled something in my shoulder (and it's not the first time I've done it). And through this I realized I'm grossly imbalanced in terms of flexibility and strength, and this no doubt is what caused my injury. I was able to re-hab my shoulder in 4 days to the point where there's no pain using Ben's material, and I've made significant improvement with my wrist. Since I've had success in this, I'll be trying out his material for a month or so until I get all my imbalances addressed.

But if something is working for you, stick with it.

It's not saying to not lift weights, There's many videos floating around of Ben Patrick lifting weights ((who was mentored by Charles Poliquin (Whom @It_Is_My_Time promotes AFAIK in an unclear manner))

Ben's Articles

TL : DR God didn't make a mistake when he designed the human body, and we should work with that design. Address imbalances and inflexibility first then, strengthen everything through a full range of motion. Keep your eyes on your own progress, control your mind, then your body.

I recently injured myself, my wrist was sprained from something at work, and as I couldn't hold the barbell for anything other than a squat, I had to switch to dumbells, on my 3rd workout with dumbbells, I pulled something in my shoulder (and it's not the first time I've done it). And through this I realized I'm grossly imbalanced in terms of flexibility and strength, and this no doubt is what caused my injury. I was able to re-hab my shoulder in 4 days to the point where there's no pain using Ben's material, and I've made significant improvement with my wrist. Since I've had success in this, I'll be trying out his material for a month or so until I get all my imbalances addressed.

But if something is working for you, stick with it.

Knees Over Toes Guy really changed athletic performance training.

Another guy I highly recommend is PJFPerformance. Here is a great video of how he trains to improve his vertical leap and make his tendons stronger. It is interesting, especially where he says to not do a full rep range and that is only needed some of the time but when really ramping up to only do joint angles.

Here is a good one. A lot of guys who only lift weights and then go try to play sports above 35 end up shredding their knee or achillies. Here is a good exercise to strengthen your achillies tendon.

Here is a good one for knees. Working the tendons is different than working the muscles and probably much more important in the real world and when it comes to longevity.

Last edited:
Here is another good video on tendon strengthening and the importance of plyometric exercises/real world movements. In my mid 40's, my biggest concern is not tearing a tendon in my leg, so I work on this stuff a lot and have had great results.

Funny enough

Justin Harris, a legit bodybuilders/ Powerlifter/atomic physicist and coach (he popularized carb cycling diets here) mentions that most people naturally eat with in 50 kcal of their basal metabolic rate naturally.

His diets are pretty straight forward... But you'll have a high carb day where you'll eat like 10 cups of rice or a box of fruity pebbles.

I didn't want to spend a grand on a reverse hyper table so I'm making one out of some 2x6 pine studs and some OSB I had laying around. It's not done yet, but I hopped up on there to try it out with just bodyweight and on the first "swing" of my legs I felt and heard a loud CRRRACK in my lower back, and felt instant relief from my lower back pain. I when I hopped back down it felt like I'd just visited a good chiropractor. It was like magic.

PXL_20240106_044017835 (1).jpg

I didn't want to spend a grand on a reverse hyper table so I'm making one out of some 2x6 pine studs and some OSB I had laying around. It's not done yet, but I hopped up on there to try it out with just bodyweight and on the first "swing" of my legs I felt and heard a loud CRRRACK in my lower back, and felt instant relief from my lower back pain. I when I hopped back down it felt like I'd just visited a good chiropractor. It was like magic.

View attachment 3574
Very good work, get some couch cushion foam and have it cover all the hard surfaces.

I'm not sure about the bearings and pendulum aspect. The unique thing about Louie's hyper and why it has a patent is the angles of the pendulum. This should absolutely give you some relief. Keep us informed of how it works out.

Very good work, get some couch cushion foam and have it cover all the hard surfaces.

I'm not sure about the bearings and pendulum aspect. The unique thing about Louie's hyper and why it has a patent is the angles of the pendulum. This should absolutely give you some relief. Keep us informed of how it works out.
Was originally going to go with steel tubing for the pendulum, but that would require some type of bushing/bearing to do properly, and I don't have plates, but I have some big boi rogue fitness kettlebells so my plan is to mount a TRX anchor down below and hang KBs with straps.

Was originally going to go with steel tubing for the pendulum, but that would require some type of bushing/bearing to do properly, and I don't have plates, but I have some big boi rogue fitness kettlebells so my plan is to mount a TRX anchor down below and hang KBs with straps.
You might be able to use bands across the handles and loop around the pendulum.

Does anyone stretch before lifting? Do you feel there is a benefit to it or is it just something that can be skipped entirely? Does it depend on what kind of lifts you'll be doing?

Does anyone stretch before lifting? Do you feel there is a benefit to it or is it just something that can be skipped entirely? Does it depend on what kind of lifts you'll be doing?
I foam roll sometimes. Warm up sets to get the blood flowing.

I stretch either after cardio or late evenings when watching something on tv.

Yeah don't need to stretch before lifting. Do warmup sets before your first set per muscle group though. Generally you want to do 10 reps at 1/2 your target working weight, then 3 or 4 at 75% or 80% of your target weight, then one rep at your target weight as a warmup. Make sure you're doing full ROM and perfect form for these. This will make sure you know what you're doing and prevents dangerous loads and ego lifting.

The following goes over what @Get2choppaaa said:

Folks, asking for advice here.

I haven't trained for many years, but still have lots of equipment in my garage - bench, free weights, pull up station.

I'm one year sober today and have lost two stone (28 lbs) in the last year. I'm now looking to put on muscle and really get into shape. The problem is I'm 45 years old. I'm looking to get strong and lose the flab that I have.

I'm only looking to do 3 x 30 mins per week, as I'm busy and that's all I feel I can commit to. What would you do if you were me?

My favourite style of training is something similar, but a top set, then take 10% of the weight off and do a second set with at least one more rep. On accessory exercises I sometimes would do more traditional volume.

I found my strength progressed way faster training like this and I didn’t have to go to the gym an hour plus every day. I probably trained a total of 2.5 hours a week, a lot of people are wasting their time in the gym imo. For a long time I trained full body, twice a week like this and my progress was excellent. I doubt I could go back

That is very interesting and something I'm looking to emulate.

Back