Lifter's Lounge

This is 100 percent wrong to say that heavy lifting is not healthy or having real world impact on health.

Bone density, grip strength, and lean muscle mass are all the leading predictors of longevity.

If it suits your particular style to do calisthenics then that's great.

But saying it doesn't have real world transference and isn't important is not true.

Make Rippetoe has gotten a career out of teaching grandma's how to squat bench and deadlift.

The weights are just a functional display of strength.

Again this is the lifters lounge...not the faggy pants stretch and yoga lounge.

Why do I lift? Because it's fun, there are some moderate to awesome health benefits, and again, because I find it fun. It's a good hobby. Sprints and calisthenics are great. I have massive respect for calisthenics. There's also this assumption that people who lift weights don't do other things. I do several rounds of HIIT on the treadmill or bike a week. I'm there to be healthy, but also to look good and feel good too. I personally think all men should try to look strong in addition to being strong as an intimidation factor so that you are less likely to be randomly victimized by all the diversity out there.

If you're doing all cardio and jump work, you're A) going to end up looking like a string bean, B) you're not going to hold up well in a physical altercation (unless your goal is to run away), and C) you're at least as prone to quality of life reducing joint issues as any bodybuilder down the line, and I can say all of this with confidence as someone with many years of grappling experience, plus this is the lifter's lounge.

Regarding the "bench press is overrated" thing. Maybe, but not really. Generally weightlifters are going to be dedicating time to every muscle or muscle group every week. If you're going to do chest at all, bench press is about the best thing you can do. I wish it wasn't, as due to sports injuries it's a bit risky for me, but that's how it is. So I'm not sure what the suggestion is, not do chest at all, or just do pushups, which, after a certain point you're just wasting your time from a hypertrophic point of view unless you add weight.

Regarding the "bench press is overrated" thing. Maybe, but not really. Generally weightlifters are going to be dedicating time to every muscle or muscle group every week. If you're going to do chest at all, bench press is about the best thing you can do. I wish it wasn't, as due to sports injuries it's a bit risky for me, but that's how it is.
One point on this I'd add if I may....

Most people don't know how to bench property. They put too much emphasis on flaring the elbows and get their shoulder in a compromised position. Also the pad at the local gym is thin crap.

The key to the bench is actually not chest, (which is of course important) but actually triceps.

I've got a Donnie Thompson fat pad (elite fits makes a similar one) on my westside 2.0 bench at the house. It's 4 inches thick of foam and about 4 inches wider also....so it actually supports the upper back and lats in the bench.

If you bench more in a straight line with a medium width grip with emphasis on triceps... Over time you'll get stronger AND build a bigger bench.

Pec development will come either way.

Also if you want strong bench. Do 1/3 incline and overhead, 1/3 flat, and 1/3 decline.

Plus tons of heavy dumbbells and flys. (Check out chain flys also)

Every dude wants a bigger chest and traps. We are biologically programmed that way.

You need to lift weights for a multitude of reasons especially core strength, I'm not saying destroy your body like some crossfit cult idiot but you do need resistance training and it needs to be something where you are pushing yourself not just going through the motions. Nothing wrong with being active, stretching and calisthenics....you should do those too just to be agile, avoid injury and be able to move well but that doesn't mean you ignore resistance training.

As choppa said barbell bench has been proven to cause more injuries than it's worth, dumbbells, incline and decline have shown to have much more benefit and much less risk of injury. Ironically though my current annoying umbilical hernia which I'm having surgery for in a couple weeks came from lifting 120lb dumbbells one at a time up to my knees to dumbbell slight incline bench.......oof.

It's my first injury ever from lifting, I don't think I'm going to go heavy like i used to anymore, I'm 39 I'm not a bodybuilder or any kind of strength athlete I'm just going to calm it down on the weight and do more reps, sucks but it is what it is that's just life. I figure I'm in this for the long haul, don't want to deal with constant injuries pretending to be a teenager again. I have a friend built like a Greek god lifts ungodly amount of weights but the guy can barely lift his kids up his joints are so bad.

@DanielH Danny boy nice to see you brother hope you got over the busy season and you and yours are well!!

Last edited:
I got a SLAP tear in my shoulder last year. Definitely from over training as I aged so you're spot on. Had to go to PT but things will never be the same without surgery. I'm not convinced it's necessary to stay healthy so I've resorted to decreasing weight by about 50% on overhead lifts which stinks. But I've found a way to still fatigue on heavy lifts for most things below the shoulders. It's all about maintenance, movement and mind from here on out.
Know what happened to me, and I don't stretch, too lazy - weighted pulls. That eventually rendered, and what a great exercise though, tendonitis at the elbow one side, and I think it was brachioradialis at the distal humerus, which I think is pretty rare (biceps insertion is common, as a weekend warrior injury too). I could easily do 45 lb weights well into my 30s. I should have just done chin-ups.

I basically just pyramid up with bench press, deads, squats, chins or pulls, now I'll do some dips, then do some maintenance. But when I get enough intensity, with heavier weights (no more than 225 ever, maybe 250 deadlifts), I just do one or two more higher rep lower weight sets, then go for a 30 min walk. In better weather, I might get back to doing some sprints.

Know what happened to me, and I don't stretch, too lazy - weighted pulls. That eventually rendered, and what a great exercise though, tendonitis at the elbow one side, and I think it was brachioradialis at the distal humerus, which I think is pretty rare (biceps insertion is common, as a weekend warrior injury too). I could easily do 45 lb weights well into my 30s. I should have just done chin-ups.

I basically just pyramid up with bench press, deads, squats, chins or pulls, now I'll do some dips, then do some maintenance. But when I get enough intensity, with heavier weights (no more than 225 ever, maybe 250 deadlifts), I just do one or two more higher rep lower weight sets, then go for a 30 min walk. In better weather, I might get back to doing some sprints.
I've had golfers elbow and tennis elbow.

Ive tried every remedy in the book. What worked well for me eventually was to do a bunch of supinated chins 3 x a week for a couple of weeks and then rest. It hurt like hell but... After a couple of weeks the inflammation went away and it was gone.

Mark rippetoe has a video about this on the youtubes somewhere

Bench press is the most overrated lift. How often are you on your back pushing something off of you in nature and not using your hips/legs? Almost never. Bench press is largely an ego lift. How many guys can bench like you claim but when shtf can't run and jump into a fox hole to dodge incoming? How many have achillies that would rip in two the first time they really have to use them?

Bench matters not at all, most lifting matters not at all, if you are not doing plyometrics, jump training, sprinting, ect. If you only lift and don't do these functional exercises, it is a waste of time and you are training your body to be fragile.

Do you enjoy anything?

Why do I lift? Because it's fun, there are some moderate to awesome health benefits, and again, because I find it fun. It's a good hobby. Sprints and calisthenics are great. I have massive respect for calisthenics. There's also this assumption that people who lift weights don't do other things. I do several rounds of HIIT on the treadmill or bike a week. I'm there to be healthy, but also to look good and feel good too. I personally think all men should try to look strong in addition to being strong as an intimidation factor so that you are less likely to be randomly victimized by all the diversity out there.
100% agree.

Every man should lift, period. And every man should physically feel he can defend himself and family. While being strong enough to not be a target.

The rules of the jungle apply the more unstable a society gets.

100% agree.

Every man should lift, period. And every man should physically feel he can defend himself and family. While being strong enough to not be a target.

The rules of the jungle apply the more unstable a society gets.
I'd go even further and say every person should lift. It's great for women too. It's a shame more of them don't do it.

@Get2choppaaa Have you ever used a reverse hyper machine?

hyper-roller-attachment-10_1_2.webp

Been thinking about getting one, since no gyms seem to have them. I've heard great things about them, that they can help with lower back issues. I was on a roll with lifting last year but had to stop due to my lower back. Need to get back in it.

Do you enjoy anything?
How vituperative of you! ;)

Also clearly he's never seen the scene in Lord of The Rings where Gimli bench pressed a warg.

You're gonna tell me Gimli didn't have a 405 bench?
@Get2choppaaa Have you ever used a reverse hyper machine?

View attachment 3494

Been thinking about getting one, since no gyms seem to have them. I've heard great things about them, that they can help with lower back issues. I was on a roll with lifting last year but had to stop due to my lower back. Need to get back in it.
I bought one when I got out of the Marines.

It's a life saver. Louie Simmons from Westside Barbell invented it.

I use it 2x a week and have zero pain now. Spend the $1000 on it. You won't regret it.

Apples to oranges.
Yes, weight training should be used to supplement your athletic training, not the end all/be all of it. How many guys make millions, even some making 10's of millions a year, as athletes, who can't bench press 225? These are not only guys who have been lifting for a long time, they are top level athletes. So, when the guy asks if benching 225 for 5 is good or bad, the real answer is "it doesn't really matter, as long as you are getting stronger or at least maintaining your strength".

I have been watching videos on workouts to improve tendon strength. This is a whole different way of training v. traditional lifting. Isometrics, plyometrics, joint angle lifts, etc. There are many ways to train, more is being learned every day, but at the end of the day if you can't run/jump/bend/move side to side, your training is lacking. And eventually you will get hurt or you will burn out and quit.

Yes, weight training should be used to supplement your athletic training, not the end all/be all of it. How many guys make millions, even some making 10's of millions a year, as athletes, who can't bench press 225? These are not only guys who have been lifting for a long time, they are top level athletes. So, when the guy asks if benching 225 for 5 is good or bad, the real answer is "it doesn't really matter, as long as you are getting stronger or at least maintaining your strength".

I have been watching videos on workouts to improve tendon strength. This is a whole different way of training v. traditional lifting. Isometrics, plyometrics, joint angle lifts, etc. There are many ways to train, more is being learned every day, but at the end of the day if you can't run/jump/bend/move side to side, your training is lacking. And eventually you will get hurt or you will burn out and quit.
That's great, you should start a thread about that and you can complain about normal weightlifting there

That's great, you should start a thread about that and you can complain about normal weightlifting there
I'm not complaining, I am just pointing out how weight lifting can't be the end all/be all, and the guy asking if benching 225 for 5 is good or bad, the answer is "very good" you are working and that is all that matters. Don't compare yourself to others.

You didn't realize this is the " Lifting weights and gaining muscles Sux thread?"

The summations bout strenght bring correlated to absolute athleticism and not being required is very dumb. In fact it is one of the dumbest tropes that Meatheads aren't athletic.

Repetition strength is down stream from absolute strength. Tendons and ligaments are strengthened through heavy repeated bouts.

Why nearly all the most gifted athletes do weight lifting?

Why does Joe Rogan interview Louie Simmons about his Powerlifting gym and how he also trains Track and field, and MMA fighters AND Bodybuilders and Olympians accross multiple sports.

Why do they go to Charles Poliquin or Christian Thibadeaux?

Also

Here's your shoulder rehab video..he's using a bamboo bar, but a regular one will work also.

Back