Lifter's Lounge

For me it's not even about trying to be some kind of athlete, but just maintaining my health and mobility as I age (I'm not that old but we're getting older every day, or at least that's what they tell me). I think unless you're pitching bales of hay (even farmers use machinery for this now) or swinging a framing hammer all day modern lifestyles don't provide the needed level of physical exertion to prevent atrophy.

You didn't realize this is the " Lifting weights and gaining muscles Sux thread?"

The summations bout strenght and athleticism not being required is very dumb. In fact it is one of the dumbest tropes that Meatheads aren't athletic.

Repetition strength is down stream from absolute strength. Tendons and ligaments are strengthened through heavy repeated bouts.

Why nearly all the most gifted athletes do weight lifting?

Why does Joe Rogan interview Louie Simmons about his Powerlifting gym and how he also trains Track and field, and MMA fighters AND Bodybuilders and Olympians accross multiple sports.

Why do they go to Charles Poliquin or Christian Thibadeaux?

Also

Here's your shoulder rehab video..he's using a bamboo bar, but a regular one will work also.

Good post. It's all about how/what you train for. Many examples of incredibly agile, fast guys who are lifting massive amounts of weight.

Take the subject of this video, while he is an anomaly in terms of body size and has publicly stated he is doing gear, you don't get this strong or fast without putting the work in.

His coach is Josh Bryant, a very well respected strength coach. @Get2choppaaa has shared some of his vids before if I'm not mistaken, so this is not some Instagram influencer thing. Josh has a whole program on Tactical Hypertrophy which is basically being as strong as someone 50lbs heavier than you but also being as fast and agile as someone 50lbs lighter than you. Maybe @It_Is_My_Time would be interested in that.

How vituperative of you! ;)

Also clearly he's never seen the scene in Lord of The Rings where Gimli bench pressed a warg.

You're gonna tell me Gimli didn't have a 405 bench?

I bought one when I got out of the Marines.

It's a life saver. Louie Simmons from Westside Barbell invented it.

I use it 2x a week and have zero pain now. Spend the $1000 on it. You won't regret it.

Oh wow that thing actually works? I watched west side barbell and wanted to get one for my dad who has back issues, what did it help with??

Look up adrenal fatigue!!
I get:

"Adrenal fatigue is a term used by alternative health practitioners to explain tiredness and other symptoms which are thought to be due to chronic (long-term) exposure to stressful situations. However, it currently is not a recognised medical diagnosis. Many studies have failed to prove that adrenal fatigue is a medical condition."

So, please elaborate.

Oh wow that thing actually works? I watched west side barbell and wanted to get one for my dad who has back issues, what did it help with??
After spending about 1k on chiropractor work that didn't fix it I bought one.

It builds the spinal erectors, glutes and hamstrings.

It is also an open chain exercise...meaning it does not put direct loading on the spine. So it tractions the spine.

I started with just the machine and a 25lb on each side... Now I can load 6x 45s each side and do it for sets of 15.

It will blow up your back and soft tissue.

You can also use for leg curls and other pendulum exercises.

It's a game changer.

I'm not complaining, I am just pointing out how weight lifting can't be the end all/be all, and the guy asking if benching 225 for 5 is good or bad, the answer is "very good" you are working and that is all that matters. Don't compare yourself to others.
Would you say there's no point in weight lifting and that you warn the people who are blue pilled about lifting that they aren't going to lift your way out of our current problems and that you used to lift 7 days a week (which you love to do now though you hated it back then) and because you spent so much time in the gym that it destroyed your chances to have a wife and kids?

Would you say there's no point in weight lifting and that you aren't going to lift your way out of our current problems and that you used to lift 7 days a week and because you spent so much time in the gym that it destroyed your chances to have a wife and kids?
No no no.... got to keep going because there's more gains to be had when the gain train no longer comes to the station.

Then we will build a parallel gainiverse where all gains can be shared outside of the gym.

But only after there is no more gym equipment to be had and the evil globo gyms are all burning.

After spending about 1k on chiropractor work that didn't fix it I bought one.

It builds the spinal erectors, glutes and hamstrings.

It is also an open chain exercise...meaning it does not put direct loading on the spine. So it tractions the spine.

I started with just the machine and a 25lb on each side... Now I can load 6x 45s each side and do it for sets of 15.

It will blow up your back and soft tissue.

You can also use for leg curls and other pendulum exercises.

It's a game changer.

Haha no wonder the chiropractor chick I'm dating told me it's harmful!

Haha no wonder the chiropractor chick I'm dating told me it's harmful!
Ha well I can't speak about her motivations... But I'm not surprised she said that. Some people say they are going to make it worse... But I certainly didn't find that to be the case.

My back only hurts when I'm not doing it 2x a week.

Before I bought it, about 6 months into being a civilian I couldn't squat or deadlift over 315... Even though I was still running and lean. I tried every exercise/stretch and then I saw this and said ...might as well give it a try.

Yeah if your back is like super inflamed it's not going to feel good. But as the acute pain goes away you use it to build up over time.

So you just slowly do it for tons of reps, the add weight over time. Heck my wife and I worked out today, and she even did sets of 10 with a pair of 45s on there... She's just getting back into it after the baby last may.... But that was the first thing we went too to build back up her glutes/hips/hamstrings after a year of now working out.

Eta... I also do sled drags at least 1x a week for my cardio. It also tractions the spine.... So between those two things I'm pretty much pain free unless I'm just being really really sloppy or sleeping poorly in a weird position.

For me it's not even about trying to be some kind of athlete, but just maintaining my health and mobility as I age (I'm not that old but we're getting older every day, or at least that's what they tell me). I think unless you're pitching bales of hay (even farmers use machinery for this now) or swinging a framing hammer all day modern lifestyles don't provide the needed level of physical exertion to prevent atrophy.
Yes. I sit on my easy chair at home and write code all day for work. Lifting weights along with a few other things like isometrics workouts and yoga (yeah, I'm that guy) keep me from going into complete physical atrophy and decline like most other people around me my age (over 50 now). I'm no bodybuilder or power lifter but the hard 20 to 30 minute workouts I do most mornings plus a pretty good diet seem to be all I need to stay healthy and feel great.

Starting strength guys would say you didn't eat enough.... ;) and you need a Gallon of milk a day.

I'm sorry but I bet you're diet and routine wasnt actually optimized for strength. It's probably a a combination of strength, cardio, and all that. My point was that just about anyone, with the proper protocol can bench 225, they just don't prioritize it.

In the Marines... I wasn't optimized for strength. I was lean and could run for days...but I couldn't deadlift 405 and I weighted 175 lbs. Now I'm 50lbs+ heavier and don't run 20 miles a week ... So I'm not using competing energy systems.
When you say didn't eat/drink enough, what would you recommend?

I'm 5'10" (170-5lbs, late 40s). I've always been fast and wiry but would like to bulk up some.

I've had some shoulder issues and have patella tendinitis, so my squats are poor along with OH press.

I'm 5'10" (170-5lbs, late 40s). I've always been fast and wiry but would like to bulk up some.

I've had some shoulder issues and have patella tendinitis, so my squats are poor along with OH press.
I'm similar to you but just a bit taller and a little younger. Because I have the thin body type that is ideal, and have some definition, I have a pyschology of maintenance but also an ego. That doesn't help when so few women are thin and most of us have put in the work for 20 years, in all aspects of life.

But back to eating, what do you do mostly, homer, for protein? I'm seeing more and more that beef and other good meats are better by far for digestion than random salads and carbs even, to be honest. I think those mostly just contribute to greater hunger and worse digestion, or inflammation. I have noticed that fish and greens are the best, but they don't satisfy you very much throughout the day.

I like the vertical diet by Stan Efferding.

Figure out your basal metabolic rate, get 1.5 of protein per lb of lean body mass, make sure you're getting some healthy omega 3s, and then add carbs from rice and potato up to a 200 to 500 kcal surplus on every day you train. After 4 to 6 weeks, if that isn't working, add another cup of rice to a meal so on so on.

2500 kcal of clean foods is actually a lot of volume
1 cup rice is only 200 kcal
5 oz chicken is only 250 kcal

So you eat 4x w day the a above and you're still not getting beyond 2000 kcal

I'm similar to you but just a bit taller and a little younger. Because I have the thin body type that is ideal, and have some definition, I have a pyschology of maintenance but also an ego. That doesn't help when so few women are thin and most of us have put in the work for 20 years, in all aspects of life.

But back to eating, what do you do mostly, homer, for protein? I'm seeing more and more that beef and other good meats are better by far for digestion than random salads and carbs even, to be honest. I think those mostly just contribute to greater hunger and worse digestion, or inflammation. I have noticed that fish and greens are the best, but they don't satisfy you very much throughout the day.

Mostly chicken, milk (48g protein/day), powder and then some beef on other days.

@Get2choppaaa Not sure what this is saying "So you eat 4x w day the a above and you're still not getting beyond 2000 kcal"

I like the vertical diet by Stan Efferding.

Figure out your basal metabolic rate, get 1.5 of protein per lb of lean body mass, make sure you're getting some healthy omega 3s, and then add carbs from rice and potato up to a 200 to 500 kcal surplus on every day you train. After 4 to 6 weeks, if that isn't working, add another cup of rice to a meal so on so on.

2500 kcal of clean foods is actually a lot of volume
1 cup rice is only 200 kcal
5 oz chicken is only 250 kcal

So you eat 4x w day the a above and you're still not getting beyond 2000 kcal
Once in my life I got really serious about my training diet and had 4k to 5k calories a day while tracking my macros, all of it healthy types of food, no junk food at all. It took a lot of discipline because I like junk food, but what was even harder than that was actually getting to 4k calories while eating only real, natural food. I often had to do things like adding coconut oil to my protein shakes to get there. Writing down everything I ate and doing the math several times a day got pretty old too. I did get great results though.

Mostly chicken, milk (48g protein/day), powder and then some beef on other days.

@Get2choppaaa Not sure what this is saying "So you eat 4x w day the a above and you're still not getting beyond 2000 kcal"
4 cups of rice and 20 oz of chicken (split up at 4 meals) is 800 + 1000 kcal total.

Add some fats here and there like olive oil, but you're still barely getting 2000kcal with a high volume of food. (Vegetables and fruit are so low caloric density I really don't count them unless I'm eating like 2 avocadoes)

So for me if really active and not trying to lose weight, it's 5 oz beef/chicken and rice/potato x 4 a day + a 500 kcal shake and I'm hitting 2500 kcal... And I may add another meal of meat/eggs on top of that to get it up to 3000kcal on leg day.

If I'm trying to lose weight, it's the above, but one of those is a salad with no carbs.

That's a lot of volume of food. Most people are not actually logging their macros and haven't been doing it long enough to know what's in a meal.

Back