carnivore diet discussion thread

Antioxidant status and odour profile in fresh beef from pasture or grain-fed cattle

“Recent research has shown that study participants on a ketogenic diet had higher vitamin C levels than participants on a moderate-carb diet, even when getting only 4% of calories from carbohydrates, making it difficult to get substantial amounts of vitamin C from nonanimal sources”

Antioxidant status and odour profile in fresh beef from pasture or grain-fed cattle

“Recent research has shown that study participants on a ketogenic diet had higher vitamin C levels than participants on a moderate-carb diet, even when getting only 4% of calories from carbohydrates, making it difficult to get substantial amounts of vitamin C from nonanimal sources”

Cooking significantly degrades Vitamin C so you would need to measure vitamin C in cooked meat (especially if its cooked medium or well done).

The second link is interesting however. I would like to see more research on it but its a good start to validate what you are saying. Intuitively you would think people on a carnivore diet would have low vitamin C but it appears it may not be the case (although probably more evidence is needed at this point).

Cooking significantly degrades Vitamin C so you would need to measure vitamin C in cooked meat (especially if its cooked medium or well done).

The second link is interesting however. I would like to see more research on it but its a good start to validate what you are saying. Intuitively you would think people on a carnivore diet would have low vitamin C but it appears it may not be the case (although probably more evidence is needed at this point).
Keep in mind plants have anti-nutrients that chelate and prevent absorption of vitamins and minerals. The supposed nutrient content of plants does not account for bioavailability.

Keep in mind plants have anti-nutrients that chelate and prevent absorption of vitamins and minerals. The supposed nutrient content of plants does not account for bioavailability.
That is true.

But the biggest gripes I have with the carnivore diet is that firstly the human body from a physiology and biology standpoint is designed to be omnivorous so that doesn't line up neatly with carnivore diet being optimal.

Secondly there is clear evidence that people with various autoimmune diseases and other specific health issues benefit from carnivore diet but beyond that there is little solid evidence that people who are generally healthy and eat an otherwise healthy diet (minimal processed foods, etc) get any additional benefit from being carnivore.

For example is there any solid evidence to suggest that the average Japanese person would live longer or be healthier on a carnivore diet? Sure if you have epilepsy or severe leaky gut syndrome carnivore may be a great idea. But to say its a great idea for everyone is getting into the realm of something speculative for which there is insufficient evidence.

Sauerkraut is loaded with vitamin C, and has few calories. Kiwi and Lemon are fruits with super low calories as well and have vitamin C. So if someone evades grains and sticks to those foods it’s possible to get vitamin C in high amounts while being low carb/keto.

The thing I like the most about eating a lot of meat and eggs is how easy it makes cooking. And because of that, I look forward to making meals and have the energy for it every day. It also makes grocery shopping quick and easy.

Pretty simple and fast to make steak and eggs, bacon and eggs, ground beef, etc. I used to get lazy sometimes when I was cooking other types of food.

The thing I like the most about eating a lot of meat and eggs is how easy it makes cooking. And because of that, I look forward to making meals and have the energy for it every day. It also makes grocery shopping quick and easy.

Pretty simple and fast to make steak and eggs, bacon and eggs, ground beef, etc. I used to get lazy sometimes when I was cooking other types of food.
My cooking went from total 1-2 hrs a day to 20 minutes or less
And shopping is about 5 minutes, with very little waste/spoilage since I know exactly how much I need ready to cook vs frozen.

I'm considering going mostly carnivore to see how it affects my gut health. One recurring problem in my life has been digestive issues and I've been compelled to give carnivore a try in lieu of the following video:

I had a close friend fall ill to diverticulitis, and recently a neighbor…will probably have a colostomy bag for a year, assuming what’s left of their intestines survive…

This doesn’t happen to carnivores

Back