Video Games and Gaming Technology (In A Positive Light)

We will eventually get gta6 and a red dead 3. And there’s tons of games out there that aren’t woke trash from the past 30 years.

I’m gobsmacked that sotn is 30 years old

Found myself getting increasingly interested in the competitive Smash Bros Melee scene.

Just fascinates me how a game designed as a party game inspires such obsession to this day.

A really good doc about it on YouTube called 'The Smash Bros.' Made me want to dig out my Gamecube and play it again.

what console is that supposed to be in the third panel? is that a Nintendo or a final fantasy character?

regardless, I wonder if people still rabbit on about graphics for today's gaming consoles. it used to be a huge discussion topic back in the 90's, and everyone was caught up in it, marvelling at what the future would disclose. then the last 3 best consoles ever came out: the n64, playstation and sega saturn. to me that time was the absolute pinnacle of the ultimate gaming experience. even though I sorely miss those days it still feels like it lasted as long as it should.

what console is that supposed to be in the third panel? is that a Nintendo or a final fantasy character?

regardless, I wonder if people still rabbit on about graphics for today's gaming consoles. it used to be a huge discussion topic back in the 90's, and everyone was caught up in it, marvelling at what the future would disclose. then the last 3 best consoles ever came out: the n64, playstation and sega saturn. to me that time was the absolute pinnacle of the ultimate gaming experience. even though I sorely miss those days it still feels like it lasted as long as it should.

You consider the Saturn superior to the Dreamcast?

I'm not a specs guy. all it takes for a game to be decent to me is for me to find it endearing. if it keeps my interest, has cool characters, a recognisable clever style and everything falls into place overall, that's enough to earn a special place in my preferences. In this regard, the Saturn is indeed superior to its successor.

As for the consoles that would come later, none of them held my interest in any special way. not that there haven't been any good games since then. it's just that the general gaming mood died off and gaming as a niche never regained that spirited expression which we had all taken for granted. at one point, that enthusiastic narrative and whimsical atmosphere typical of the gaming industry were gone. it started to resemble something else. something mass produced and corporate-like, losing its distinctive hint of the unlimited and the wondrous.

I'm not a specs guy. all it takes for a game to be decent to me is for me to find it endearing. if it keeps my interest, has cool characters, a recognisable clever style and everything falls into place overall, that's enough to earn a special place in my preferences. In this regard, the Saturn is indeed superior to its successor.

As for the consoles that would come later, none of them held my interest in any special way. not that there haven't been any good games since then. it's just that the general gaming mood died off and gaming as a niche never regained that spirited expression which we had all taken for granted. at one point, that enthusiastic narrative and whimsical atmosphere typical of the gaming industry were gone. it started to resemble something else. something mass produced and corporate-like, losing its distinctive hint of the unlimited and the wondrous.
I'd say the Gamecube had a lot of what you are talking about. And Dreamcast maybe more than any other system embodied that.

Back