Situation in the Red Sea (Houthi Thread)

Yemeni authorities claiming they have sunken an unnamed US ship, with crew. No confirmation, but Yemenis and their crew are amping up the verbiage...

Everything I can gather...

USA and UK carried out the mission, but they are trying to claim it was 10 countries involved. Don't be surprised if one of these countries feels the heat and says "we had nothing to do with it".

The spots the USA and UK hit were not overly important to the Houthi's, because they moved their main operations underground and these were mostly fake targets that were previously used.

Houthi's are saying this will not deter them at all, if this is true, then it was all for nothing other than to destroy Israel's support even further in the west.

Ansarallah claims it has downed a US F22

Doubt it. It's not even about whether Houthis have the capabilities to shoot it down or not, but about the presence of F-22 over Yemen in the first place - after all cruise missiles are launched from a standoff distances. So maybe they shot down a drone, maybe a missile, but I can not imagine why would there be a F-22 in Yemeni air space.

Last edited:
Everything I can gather...

USA and UK carried out the mission, but they are trying to claim it was 10 countries involved. Don't be surprised if one of these countries feels the heat and says "we had nothing to do with it".
Not even that. We (and the Brits) had moral support from 4 countries: Australia, Bahrain, Canada, and the Netherlands.

From the official White House statement:
Today, at my direction, U.S. military forces—together with the United Kingdom and with support from Australia, Bahrain, Canada, and the Netherlands—successfully conducted strikes against a number of targets in Yemen used by Houthi rebels to endanger freedom of navigation in one of the world’s most vital waterways.

I just looked up Yemen's population, and it is actually the highest in the region. It is 34 million, slightly higher than Saudi Arabia at 32 million, and much higher than Oman, Somalia, or Eritrea.

Of course they are very poor compared to Saudi Arabia, or really compared to anyone. Their per capita income is only $617 nominal, or $2000 PPP. However, if Iran supplies them with weapons, they have a lot of people that seem willing to fight.

39 navies?!

And they still can't control it, telling ships to change course?
Most of those navies are not directly involved in anti-Houthi operations, they're just part of the Combined Maritime Forces organization - a multinational partnership which is tasked with combating piracy, smuggling, etc.

When it comes to anti-Houthi operations it's basically just the US and UK. Well, there's also also France and other members of the OPG but they've commited very little resources and they prefer to play defense.

Houthis launched another missile attack - this time in the Gulf of Aden.
The UK Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) office reported that it received a report of a missile being fired towards a vessel approximately 90 nautical miles southeast of Aden, Yemen.
“The Master reported a missile landing in the water 400-500 metres away and being followed by 3 small craft,” the report said.
No injuries or damages have been reported and the ship is proceeding with its voyage.
According to British maritime security firm Ambrey, Houthi militants may have mistakenly targeted a tanker carrying Russian oil, Reuters reports. “This was the second tanker mistakenly targeted by the Houthis whilst carrying Russian oil,” Ambrey said.
The location of the latest attack is curious as it took place in the Gulf of Aden much further to the east compared to previous attacks.

It looks like Yesterday's attack wasn't much of a success. They aren't even trying to pump up the damage report:

From Will Schryver's feed.

Problem is that it is now a more "game on" environment. US Navy has no expectation of safe passage now, under any circumstance. I'm sure this has been a high-risk passage since at least the USS Cole attack, but now there is an absolute expectation of hostility. Can't hide behind "we're just here to protect a few ships." Better stay locked and loaded.

Back