Situation in the Red Sea (Houthi Thread)

The ship was identified as CMA CGM Tage.

The White House, together with Australia, Bahrain, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Singapore, and the UK, issued a statement calling the Houthis to cease and desist.

If I'm the Houthis... Id say nut up or shut up!

To which I don't expect much from this weak coalition.... Though I very very very much wish they would act forcefully enough to end the Houthi issue regarding shipping.

The assets are there... But the willpower seems not to be.

To which I don't expect much from this weak coalition.... Though I very very very much wish they would act forcefully enough to end the Houthi issue regarding shipping.
Who knows, maybe after a few more attacks we'll send them an angry letter.

I hope it was at least a strongly worded statement expressing concern!
"Ongoing Houthi attacks in the Red Sea are illegal, unacceptable, and profoundly destabilizing." honk honk 96x96.gif

Couple of news from the area.

1. French shipping company CMA CGM continues to push ships through the Bab-el-Mandeb strait, hoping that the FS Languedoc frigate will protect them.

2. Some ships began to display: "no contact Israel" on their AIS.

3. Warships operating in the area.

Take it from someone who knows multiple business owners and owns businesses himself that saw an absolute boom because of manufactured tragedy.

This is the covid script

Exploit a "crisis" to jack up prices and nobody will complain they will just eat it, prices will never come back down either and nobody can argue because of the "crisis".

If I'm the Houthis... Id say nut up or shut up!

The assets are there... But the willpower seems not to be.
Or just stop letting Israel massacre children and let aid into Palestine, to which the Houthi's said they would end the blockade. That would be a lot easier than getting our men killed and maimed.

Two incidents in the area.

1. A bulk carrier was hijacked in the Indian Ocean, off the coast of Somalia, the crew sheltered in the citadel and was rescued by the Indian Navy.

2. A naval kamikaze drone, launched from Yemen, exploded in the Red Sea.
Vice Admiral Brad Cooper, who leads U.S. Naval forces in the Middle East, told reporters on Thursday that the Houthi exploding boat drove out about 50 miles into the Red Sea and then detonated in dense shipping lanes.
“It came within a couple of miles of ships operating in the area — merchant ships and U.S.Navy ships — and we all watched as it exploded,” Cooper told reporters, adding the target of the attack was not clear.

^This business of announcing "no Israel Contact" and being allowed free passage could be big. If the Houthis can verify and track that certain companies really do honor their word to avoid Israel, it would theoretically open trade along the route for the vast majority of shipping. The isolation on Israel would intensify, and rest of world would realize that life goes on without our masters. Israel-bound ships would have to route around Africa, increasing costs for Israeli citizens, many of which (honorably) already dislike the Gaza blockade.

This all supposes some level of honor amongst admittedly nefarious people (Houthis gonna Houthi), but clearly big freight haulers are starting to run the risk - and they are the ones at greatest risk of loss.

^This business of announcing "no Israel Contact" and being allowed free passage could be big.
Personally I'm more suspicious of those companies - they're minor players more likely to engage in some shady business dealings.
If the Houthis can verify and track that certain companies really do honor their word to avoid Israel, it would theoretically open trade along the route for the vast majority of shipping.
Whenever an incident occurs, industry portals, like gCaptain or Tradewinds, look into those specific ships and they don't shy away from naming the jew when a connection is found. Roughly half of the attacked ships had some connection with Israel: either through shareholders/ownership or business history, some of those connections were rather marginal - the ship that was targeted was in Israel months ago, or the wife of the company's owner has a dual citizenship. But the other half of the ships/companies had no affiliation with Israel, but even those attacks weren't random: by disrupting global trade Houthis are forcing the west to pay the price for the support of Israel, and repeated attacks on the Maersk ships disrupted US sealift capabilities (US flagged Mearsk ships are on DoD retainer and regularly carry military supplies).

The isolation on Israel would intensify, and rest of world would realize that life goes on without our masters. Israel-bound ships would have to route around Africa, increasing costs for Israeli citizens, many of which (honorably) already dislike the Gaza blockade.
If I remember correctly, the port of Eilat lost 80% of traffic and runs idle, and Israel as a whole lost around 16% of incoming containers in December.

This all supposes some level of honor amongst admittedly nefarious people (Houthis gonna Houthi), but clearly big freight haulers are starting to run the risk - and they are the ones at greatest risk of loss.
There's more to it than just Houthis doing Houthi stuff. I think it's part of a larger Iran-designed strategy, just look what they were able to achieve in a month: up to 20% of US Navy is tied down in the region, we are forced to spend millions of dollars of munitions, our military logistics in the region were compromised, our leadership and diplomacy were shown as impotent for the whole world to see, and that's without even counting economic costs that all of us will have to bear. And those were just the Houthis with rather limited military capabilities.

Last edited:
Two incidents in the area.

1. A bulk carrier was hijacked in the Indian Ocean, off the coast of Somalia, the crew sheltered in the citadel and was rescued by the Indian Navy.

2. A naval kamikaze drone, launched from Yemen, exploded in the Red Sea.

As an aside...reading some of this about the anti piracy ops makes me want to get back in touch with some of the maritime security firms and see if they are needing new applicants... Before I landed where I am now the money they were dangling for some of these roles was pretty good. I'm sure it's a field day now.

Then I remember how much I hated being on a boat..
Personally I'm more suspicious of those companies - they're minor players more likely to engage in some shady business dealings.

Whenever an incident occurs, industry portals, like gCaptain or Tradewinds, look into those specific ships and they don't shy away from naming the jew when a connection is found. Roughly half of the attacked ships had some connection with Israel: either through shareholders/ownership or business history, some of those connections were rather marginal - the ship that was targeted was in Israel months ago, or the wife of the company's owner has a dual citizenship. But the other half of the ships/companies had no affiliation with Israel, but even those attacks weren't random: by disrupting global trade Houthis are forcing the west to pay the price for the support of Israel, and repeated attacks on the Maersk ships disrupted US sealift capabilities (US flagged Mearsk ships are on DoD retainer and regularly carry military supplies).
All this is correct. Gcaptian, FreightWaves, Tradewinds all the resources I review daily in my role.

Maersk is basically giving the finger to the DoD on their contracted services.
If I remember correctly, the port of Eilat lost 80% of traffic and runs idle, and Israel as a whole lost around 16% of incoming containers in December.

There's more to it than just Houthis doing Houthi stuff. I think it's part of a larger Iran-designed strategy, just look what they were able to achieve in a month: up to 20% of US Navy is tied down in the region, we are forced to spend millions of dollars of munitions, our military logistics in the region were compromised, our leadership and diplomacy were shown as impotent for the whole world to see, and that's without even counting economic costs that all of us will have to bear. And those were just the Houthis with rather limited military capabilities.
True. However... Iran doesn't seem to have much in the way of deterring strikes in their own country as we saw this week. Unrelated to the trade route issues, but applicable to the overall conversation regarding their power projection.

Force build-up continues.

UK will deploy another warship.
Royal Navy is deploying a third ship, the HMS Richmond, to join ongoing efforts in the Red Sea. This decision showcases the UK’s commitment to the American coalition. Departing from Plymouth, the HMS Richmond will rendezvous with the HMS Diamond, a destroyer, and the HMS Lancaster, a frigate, both already stationed in the region.

Greece deploys a frigate.
Greek Navy has decided to contribute a Hydra-class frigate equipped with 32 Vertical Launch System (VLS) missile cells to OPG. Greece says this strategic decision aims to strengthen the protection of merchant vessels sailing in the turbulent waters of the Red Sea.

Sri Lanka is considering joining the OPG.
President Ranil Wickremesinghe of Sri Lanka has expressed concerns about the rising freight costs and the negative impact on the country’s major exports, such as garments and tea, due to Houthi attacks on shipping. To address these challenges, Sri Lanka plans to deploy a 100-man warship, potentially an offshore patrol ship like the SLNS Sindurala, equipped with anti-air guns but lacking VLS cells. Wickramasuriya emphasized that a crew of over 100 personnel will be deployed.

Pakistan will send its warships, but, just like India and Indonesia before, under national command not as part of the OPG.
Pakistan Navy declared via a YouTube video their intention to send 2-3 ships to the Red Sea, signifying a notable increase in naval presence in these strategic waters.
“The purpose is to protect Pakistan-bound and international shipping traversing through our area. In this regard, 2-3 ships are always patrolling the areas on which Pakistan-bound and international merchant ships are plying,” a spokesman said. “In addition, extensive air surveillance is also being undertaken to ensure the safety of international sea lines of communications passing through our maritime area.”

^
Singapore joins the OPG, but in a limited capacity: no warships just personnel.

Members of the Singapore Armed Forces will largely be used in support roles at Combined Maritime Forces (CMF) in Bahrain, which has been tasked with running Operation Prosperity Guardian, said Singapore’s minister for defence Dr Ng Eng Hen.
In addition, a team from the Republic of Singapore Navy’s Information Fusion Centre (IFC), normally tasked with combatting piracy in the Singapore Strait, will be deployed to support information-sharing and engagement outreach with the commercial shipping community.
Further to this effort, the French Armed Forces have invited the SAF to provide two medical personnel to serve on the FS Dixmude, now docked at the El Arish Port in Egypt. This is a reconfigured hospital ship and has been treating casualties from Gaza.
“The SAF has accepted the offer and plans are underway to deploy this medical team to aid civilian casualties there,” Dr Ng said.

It's reported that Houthis launched a "complex" missile and drone attack in the Red Sea.

Full text:
Houthi Attack on International Shipping.
On Jan. 9, at approximately 9:15 p.m. (Sanaa time), Iranian-backed Houthis launched a complex attack of Iranian designed one-way attack UAVs (OWA UAVs), anti-ship cruise missiles, and an anti-ship ballistic missile from Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen into the Southern Red Sea, towards international shipping lanes where dozens of merchant vessels were transiting.
Eighteen OWA UAVs, two anti-ship cruise missiles, and one anti-ship ballistic missile were shot down by a combined effort of F/A-18s from USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69), USS Gravely (DDG 107), USS Laboon (DDG 58), USS Mason (DDG 87), and the United Kingdom’s HMS Diamond (D34). This is the 26th Houthi attack on commercial shipping lanes in the Red Sea since Nov. 19. There were no injuries or damage reported.
On Jan. 3, 14 countries, including the U.S, issued a joint statement stating, "The Houthis will bear the responsibility for the consequences should they continue to threaten lives, the global economy, or the free flow of commerce in the region's critical waterways."

The alert came as maritime security firm Ambrey Analytics also reported that “aerial projectiles” were seen at the same location on Tuesday, which is within territory controlled by the Houthi movement that has been targetting vessels in the region.
Ambrey said nine merchant ships adjusted course around the time of the incident. Crew members on one ship saw rockets fired in the vicinity, with a second vessel reporting that several missiles were fired and warships were “engaged” in the incident.
A third vessel overheard a VHF report of a nearby crew witnessing an unmanned aerial vehicle, or drone, in the region, the firm said.
The target of the attacks is not known.

At the same time informations appeared about Israeli tankers getting hit with missiles in the Indian Ocean. However, according to "TradeWinds", the attack wasn't that serious.
Reports are emerging in the Middle East of drone attacks targeting two Israeli-affiliated product tankers in the Indian Ocean off the Maldives.
Iranian media has reported an “informed official” as saying two vessels suffered significant damage north and west of the islands, way outside the usual risk zone for Houthi or Iranian attacks on shipping. The official said the ships “belonging to Israel were targeted by unidentified drones in the west and north-west of Maldives”.
But maritime security sources believe the incidents are not as severe as suggested.
TradeWinds is not naming the vessels, due to lack of corroboration, but the owner of one said the reports were fake news, while the other has not responded to a request for comment.
The supposed attacks took place on the afternoon of 4 January, within about an hour of each other. Iran has not claimed responsibility.
Other sources said shrapnel had been found on the deck of the two tankers.
Security advisory company Ambrey Analytics said one ship’s AIS transmissions stopped about 208 nautical miles west of the Maldives capital Male. The second vessel’s AIS transmissions stopped 326 miles west of the Indian port of Kochi.

Last edited:
62292MEM080124.jpg.jpg

Back