2024 Election Lounge

Totally disagree.

Low interest rates means lower cost of capital and deals are easier to do because you can have more flexibility in your IRR.

Inflation actually erodes buying power of those with savings.

So In this case if you have a nest egg of 5 million, but your purchasing power is reduced by 20 percent due to inflation, your 10 percent rate of return on investments in high yield savings accounts or your 401k is still insufficient to keep up.

Inflation is a wealth and savings destroyer.
The interest rate chat is important with the Fed cutting interest rates this week, and your post actually highlights the fact that the economy basically is in a no win situation.The economy as currently constructed, relying on debt-based consumption, requires constant increases in debt and money supply. That landscape benefits those who own assets as well as those who are heavily indebted and kills anyone who relies on savings. Those who earn a normal salary die a death by a thousand paper cuts as their earnings always lag behind inflation, even "benign" inflation like 2% or less. It is ultimately unsustainable because there is a limit to the amount of debt that can be taken on at any given time and at that point higher prices can not be supported.

For the last 50 years debt has gone up basically exponentially across households, the government and corporate sectors, facilitated by a secular decline of interest rates beginning in 1982 and culminating with 15 years of 0% interest rates by the Fed following 2008. The Fed/Government then injected another $5 trillion in stimulus following Covid and this has led to high, persistent inflation, whereas before Covid we had been seeing low, persistent inflation. This is why inflation is such a big political issue now, as the proverbial boiling frog is starting to feel the heat. The Fed raised rates to deal with this problem on the inflation side, but in doing so created a longer term problem on the debt servicing side. An economy that has a 0% rate environment at its foundation is going to struggle in a world of rates north of 5%. For example the US government just saw the interest payment on it debt pass $1 trillion, which is the largest single budget item.

On top of this we are starting to see some weakness in employment data. There is a trend of businesses reporting reduced revenues, which means there will be pressure to cut expenses. So they will spend less, which means less revenue for other businesses, and/or they will reduce labor expenditures by laying people off. These problems are not necessarily acute, but in cutting rates this week the Fed is seemingly trying to be proactive, while pretending the economy is fine.

But going back to a lower rate environment is going to mean more debt, more money creation and accelerating inflation that will ultimately require an even higher rate hike to quell, which in turn will threaten the economy even more, which in turn will require greater monetary stimulus, which in turn will create more inflation....and that cycle continues until there is a breaking point.

Even if the Fed manages to paper over the cracks for a while, it is almost a 100% certainty that we are going to have a recession that hits at some point during the next four years. The existing debt problem means we only have two real options:
1. Allow recession to destroy debt and asset prices, or
2. Prevent the destruction of asset prices by destroying the value of the dollar, creating persistently high inflation

Politicians will always choose the second option, because the prospect of home values and 401Ks declining by 50% or more means automatic defeat in elections, even if that economic carnage in the short run paves the way for long term stability and legitimate economic growth. I think that whoever wins this election will face a situation in which they will have to choose between doing the biggest economic stimulus of all time or presiding over one of the biggest crashes of all time. That is just the hand the next president is going to be dealt.

Vance actually spoke to this in his interview with Tucker a few days ago. The relevant part start about 7 minutes in. He suggested that the powers that be, having tried everything else, could use the bond market as a lever to destroy a Trump presidency through the economy. Instead of a naturally occurring recession crashing the economy, an engineered spike in interest rates would do it. The ensuing severe recession would theoretically tarnish Trump/MAGA's legacy forever in the same way Hoover's legacy was destroyed forever owing to the Great Depression starting on his watch. Vance talked about making sure that the Treasury Secretary was a person who was capable of leading the nation through crisis, despite the howling that would come from the press.

The irony is that a deep, sharp recession that cleared a lot of bad debt out of the system would go a long way to actually restoring the economy. As I mentioned before the economic carnage would be extremely painful in the short run, but there is a limit to any downturn because we all still have to feed, clothe, shelter and entertain ourselves. And all of the real world commodities, food, materials and infrastructure that goes into those things doesn't literally disappear just because the numbers on the spreadsheet don't line up right now. Ultimately prices adjust until they do line up, and the economy rearranges itself along a more sustainable plane. The faster this is done, the better it is.

RFK Jr: Trump’s team has been “aggressively approaching us” for names of people to appoint“

President Trump told me that the last time around, when he got into office, he was not prepared to govern.

He was immediately surrounded by business, corporations, corporate lobbyists.

This time, he went to private donors and he said, ‘We’re gonna start the transition team three months earlier.

’He didn’t just say that. They were aggressively approaching us and saying, ‘We’re gonna have this meeting, we need names for this department, we want your names, we’re going to appoint your people.’”

I'm not a loser big dog. I'm a winner in every sense of the word.

Does your arrogant 5’6 balding fat ass ever shut the fuck up?

You brandish yourself as some type of Superman. Everything from career to wealth to having a bunch of kids to being in the Marines. Nobody gives a fuck and if people knew you they’d know you’re just a super insecure control freak. So stop pretending jack ass.

I have a question are all of your kids yours or did you rescue a single mom? Serious question. Answer it for the forum.

Also shut the fuck about your MBA because everyone and their mother has one. Unless it was from an Ivy (which yours isn’t) it doesn’t mean jack.

You will be humbled and it’s just a matter of time, but keep on running your mouth and watch that time shorten.

Have a nice fucking day.

Again, you're not offering a substantive comment...only a personal attack about me being a contrarian.... Say whatever you want about me here on the forum, but you not getting my Dave Ramsey comment further emphasizes the point I'm making about commentary with out context.

Tons of people own boats and arent wealthy. Tons of people own cars and aren't wealthy. Many middle class people own them. Many people own RVs who aren't wealthy. Many people own 4 wheelers who aren't wealthy.

You're out of touch. Again, either you're thinking of a yacht or you don't know what you're talking about or are incredibly poor yourself and are speaking out of envy.

Of course anyone can speak about wealth, but if you don't think middle class people don't own boats I legitimately question what frame of reference you're working under.

Without any context of your point of view there's tons of prognostication and zero relatability.

You brandish yourself as some type of Superman. Everything from career to wealth to having a bunch of kids to being in the Marines. Nobody gives a fuck and if people knew you they’d know you’re just a super insecure control freak. So stop pretending jack ass.

I have a question are all of your kids yours or did you rescue a single mom? Serious question. Answer it for the forum.

Also shut the fuck about your MBA because everyone and their mother has one. Unless it was from an Ivy (which yours isn’t) it doesn’t mean jack.

You will be humbled and it’s just a matter of time, but keep on running your mouth and watch that time shorten.

Have a nice fucking day.

Got a live one here.

Big Man Epw GIF by Explosive Professional Wrestling

Have a nice fucking day.

This is your very first post on a religious forum ?!

giphy.webp

Have a nice fucking day.
Who are you boy? Dust in the wind by seeing this post here.

Have a nice fucking day.

Have a nice fucking day.
IMG_4425.jpeg

Have a nice fucking day.

<INSERT AI IMAGE OF JASON ALEXANDER WEARING USMC DRESS BLUES>

Also, this thread is not going in the direction he was hoping for...

Having a boat is only upper middle class. It's an income of $300K/year before taxes, and substantial equity due to owning your house for 30 years plus building a good investment portfolio.

This is not rich. It's pretty nice, but still only middle class life on steroids. Rich starts with all those numbers 5-10 times higher, and even that is only moderately rich.

I can easily see a person like this still being sensitive to interest rates and inflation. I've known people who were in this category in late middle age, and found themselves only just getting by in their 80's.
I own a boat and don't make anywhere near $300k and am definitely not rich.

I feel the sting of inflation in food and energy prices like everyone else.

People are digging into Kamala Harris' past as a lawyer to look up any court cases she prosecuted in front of any judge. Apparently, nobody can't seem to find a real case she prosecuted. One thing is confirmed: Kamala Harris got into University of California Hastings Law School through an Affirmative Action Program called LEOP (Legal Education Opportunity Program).

It’s been several weeks and still no Democrat or member of the press has taken up my challenge of posting a transcript of a case that Kamala Harris has prosecuted.

I actually asked for the most complex prosecution she’s ever done but at this point, I’ll settle for a transcript of ANY case she’s ever prosecuted.

I’m starting to get doubtful that she EVER prosecuted a case through to trial.

In any event, calling her a prosecutor as opposed to a paper pusher is starting to look like a huge exaggeration.
+1 If Kamala Harris were a J6 defendant, Scott MacFarlane of CBS would have spent days in state courthouses rifling through records to try to find anything incriminating. Or really, to find anything.

But the Democrat presidential candidate that’s been anointed by super delegates, not elected, gets zero real vetting.

She gets to skate by, no big deal.

Jeff if you review my feed you will see I’ve been pushing the same thing. There are a few newspaper snippets that mention trials she was involved with but her role is unclear. First chair? Etc. Her DA opponent Bill Fazio in their 2003 debate claimed that while her campaign info said she had “prosecuted HUNDREDS of serious felonies”, he demanded she show an example of ONE. She could not, and claimed she has tried 50 cases and then refused to go into detail and pivoted.

I have looked at the websites of the Alameda Court, SF Court, California State Courts and Newspaper archives and have been unable to find a RECORD of a single case she prosecuted. A reference here or there to cases but NO transcripts, no cases with her name attached in government websites, NOTHING.

Edit.

GYKYgFnXsAAhOsf

Back