• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

Video Games and Gaming Technology (In A Positive Light)

I'm partial to the old sidescrollers myself. Two hidden gems that I enjoyed as a lad were Felix The Cat and Tiny Toon Adventures for the NES. I still remember how happy I was when I got the last Tiny Toon cartridge available at the store.
Felix:
felix.jpg

Tiny Toon Adventures
s-l1600.jpg

Which Baldur's Gate 2 girl was your favorite and why?
bg2.jpg

I liked Arie, she had the sweetest personality.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if anyone knows how to get Age of Empires 2 to work on computers running the latest version of Windows.
Inb4 "buy the new release." I'd rather not, I still have the old cd-roms and don't want to spend more shekels. Can it be done?
jhxs4a221.jpg

Huge sale on Steam now. Bunch of games ranging from 50-95% off. I bought The Orange Box, Myst 3 and 4, American Truck Simulator, Fallout 4, ESO, Hogwarts Legacy, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Sea of Thieves and Subnautica, for a total under $100.

I may still get a few more. I'm switching from console to PC so I really don't have and games currently except Age of Empires and Heroes of Might and Magic so would rather stock up while they're cheap.

I'm thinking of running New Vegas with mods. Are they worth it? Mostly looking for quality of life and more Legion content (that doesn't suck).

I've been a big fan of the Assassin's Creed series. I've learned a bit about architecture and history, particularly the "Ezio" / Florence, Italy one which was probably the best. Also the assassins vs templars was a really engaging idea, parallel to the Dan Brown secret society stuff.

Also if you stay behind the current release, you can often pick up the titles for around $15. Of course, like everything else they have been going downhill. The assassins / templars stuff plays less of a role as they go on.

I was warned here that the latest ones suck. I've played a few hours of Valhalla, and I just don't care about the characters or the plot at all. It's kind of pretty, taking place in Norway and England. But I'm also sort of over the "explore this beautiful world" thing because I've already spent hours doing it on the last couple of games. I don't even really understand what I'm doing, it's something to do with avenging my father? I don't really care.

There was a scene in Valhalla where this obnoxious wife is openly complaining to me (a STRANGER, no less) that her husband no longer fornicates with her on the battlefield. There's a tiny side quest where you can "help" them by smashing some things in their house, to remind him of the excitement of warfare, and that doesn't work, so this trollop asks you to set their house on fire. Then the husband gets excited and gets it on and you have "succeeded." What total garbage!

I'm also playing as a Big Bad Brave Female character. I'm going to hold on a bit more until it switches later to playing as her brother, but so far this thing is total garbage, slightly better than Red Dead Redemption 2 but not much. I already know there is some gayness in Valhalla, so I am prepared for that, but honestly just the lack of engaging storyline and interest in the characters is far more offensive to me. Gayness is in everything these days, so whatever. (It's obviously out of place 2,000 years ago)

As I recall a lot of these Ubisoft games are programmed by Ukrainians and the degeneracy is really showing.
I believe the next one in the series is Japan, and I may still buy that as I'm enthralled with Japanese culture and society but maybe this one will offend me enough to quit completely.

On a positive note, Nintendo produces mostly quality, non-pozzed stuff, and I am looking forward to the Switch 2 console they will be releasing next year. I haven't had a Nintendo in well over a decade and dislike consoles but I like the idea of good family friendly Japanese content, and I think the Zelda games are probably fun for adults.

Started up Subnautica today to get a feel for it. Ended up playing for ten hours straight. I can't wait to start building a base, though I'm pretty sure that is gonna take some serious time. It's such a beautiful game. Not nearly as scary as I've heard it claimed (I did encounter my first Leviathan that gave me a slight spook, and there's definitely a general uneasiness exploring the deep).

I'm not sure yet what makes it so compelling and hard to put down. I haven't played anything quite like it, and it was clearly made with love. One of my favorite features is auto-swim. You just press a button and all you have to do is "steer" your character. This takes away from a lot of the potential grind of a game that demands huge amounts of exploration. I will have no issue sinking several hundred hours into the game.

Started up Subnautica today to get a feel for it. Ended up playing for ten hours straight. I can't wait to start building a base, though I'm pretty sure that is gonna take some serious time. It's such a beautiful game. Not nearly as scary as I've heard it claimed (I did encounter my first Leviathan that gave me a slight spook, and there's definitely a general uneasiness exploring the deep).

I'm not sure yet what makes it so compelling and hard to put down. I haven't played anything quite like it, and it was clearly made with love. One of my favorite features is auto-swim. You just press a button and all you have to do is "steer" your character. This takes away from a lot of the potential grind of a game that demands huge amounts of exploration. I will have no issue sinking several hundred hours into the game.
I would recommend looking into bugfix/optimization mods, because after a certain point you start seeing a lot of very serious game-breaking glitches, like expensive vehicles glitching through the terrain and being lost forever, along with whatever items you had stored in them. The game is great but it's laughable that they claim it's a complete product. It should frankly still be in early access.

Additionally, the game is quite old at this point so if you have a decent mid-range gaming PC, the game doesn't really look anywhere near as good as it could if it took advantage of your hardware. The biggest problems are that there is a lot of really unseemly pop-in, as the game has quite a low render distance by default and it cannot be changed in vanilla (it's only really a problem in certain biomes, but it's still a big deal imo), and that certain textures are extremely low quality. Both of these problems can be fixed with mods.

Last edited:
I would recommend looking into bugfix/optimization mods, because after a certain point you start seeing a lot of very serious game-breaking glitches, like expensive vehicles glitching through the terrain and being lost forever, along with whatever items you had stored in them. The game is great but it's laughable that they claim it's a complete product. It should frankly still be in early access.

Additionally, the game is quite old at this point so if you have a decent mid-range gaming PC, the game doesn't really look anywhere near as good as it could if it took advantage of your hardware. The biggest problems are that there is a lot of really unseemly pop-in, as the game has quite a low render distance by default and it cannot be changed in vanilla (it's only really a problem in certain biomes, but it's still a big deal imo), and that certain textures are extremely low quality. Both of these problems can be fixed with mods.

A midrange gaming PC is exactly what I'm playing on lol. And I've also never really used mods but definitely felt if there ever was a time to start, a game like this would be it. Appreciate you letting me know what to look out for.

Out of curiosity, have you looked into the sequel yet, which I guess is planned for next year? And if so, what are your thoughts on it?

A midrange gaming PC is exactly what I'm playing on lol. And I've also never really used mods but definitely felt if there ever was a time to start, a game like this would be it. Appreciate you letting me know what to look out for.

Out of curiosity, have you looked into the sequel yet, which I guess is planned for next year? And if so, what are your thoughts on it?
Wait, they announced Subnautica 3? Wow. I've played the first game a lot but never bothered to check out Below Zero and I'm not the type to be tuned in to videogame news. I thought we were talking about the first game.

Is Below Zero even finished, though? Feels like it was announced yesterday. Apparently it's been years.

A friend recently got me Crusader Kings 3 and we played for much of the day. Wow, I should tried Grand Strategy games earlier. It's a mix of RPG (lots of decisions to be made which affects your route, sandbox storytelling etc) and strategy (many many different systems can be intertwined to achieve various goals, very replayable etc) that is better at both elements than most games. Would highly recommend it both solo or co-op, and I can see why people get hundreds of hours of playtime out of it. And planning to try Stellaris too when I want to switch it up.

Also have been enjoying Wuthering Waves lately. It's a gacha open-world RPG like Genshin Impact, but with much higher skill ceiling combat. Story is meh so far but it's been both relaxing gathering the many resources in the world and engaging fighting all the different sorts of monsters. Not gotten interested in a gacha game before so I can expect at some point the MTX system is going to limit my fun, but for now it's quite entertaining.

Wait, they announced Subnautica 3? Wow. I've played the first game a lot but never bothered to check out Below Zero and I'm not the type to be tuned in to videogame news. I thought we were talking about the first game.

Is Below Zero even finished, though? Feels like it was announced yesterday. Apparently it's been years.

Yes, I'm playing 1. I believe there are 2 that are out including Below Zero with a full sequel coming out next year. I dunno. Loving 1 tho.

Back