Motorcycles

After many bikes, I bought cheaply one DRZ400 as a Sunday motorcycle to have at least something to sit on in the garage, because travel was not an option anymore due to family life.

I expected a boring, dull bike that I would sell after one season.

Well, she ended up as my favorite bike ever. I had it for seven years, put on her expensive Japanese raised handlebars and other accessories, and had plans to never sell it. Only then was I forced with great sorrow to let it go to another happy guy because we were moving, and I couldn't keep her anymore. It was a lovely bike, and I still miss her.
I've regretted every bike I ever sold.

Just got back from a 4 day tour of South Eastern France and over the border into Italy.
There's been quite a lot of late season snow so not all of the big mountain passes are open yet but we managed to bag a few. About 1200kms over 4 days and some epic riding.

Those are beautiful pictures. It's great to tour the back roads and rural areas of Europe.

I'm amazed to see a pickup truck. I've spent a fair amount of time in the northwest of Europe, and I didn't even see one pickup truck a day. At least 90% of passenger vehicles are some sort of cross-over, hatchback, or station wagon. Some of the larger ones were as big as the smallest vehicles on the road in the US, but most were smaller.

Those are beautiful pictures. It's great to tour the back roads and rural areas of Europe.

I'm amazed to see a pickup truck. I've spent a fair amount of time in the northwest of Europe, and I didn't even see one pickup truck a day. At least 90% of passenger vehicles are some sort of cross-over, hatchback, or station wagon. Some of the larger ones were as big as the smallest vehicles on the road in the US, but most were smaller.
The mid sized pick up truck is starting to be a thing here in the mountains.

Back home again. Time to blow out the cobwebs on the 2 stroke trials bike. It's been sitting doing nothing throughout ski season. Was running a bit boggy, probably because I left old fuel in it all winter. The carb doesn't like that. It's a seriously capable machine though, you can literally ride it anywhere you like.

I was close to getting a Yamaha VMAX but they discontinued it because it no longer met (((emission standards))). I'm hoping they'll resurrect it or make something that continues the legacy.
Yeah I've seen some youtubes of that, that thing was nuts!
The newer Euro emission standards are so bad...bikes weigh more and more, with bigger engines and less power.

View attachment 9063I was close to getting a Yamaha VMAX but they discontinued it because it no longer met (((emission standards))). I'm hoping they'll resurrect it or make something that continues the legacy.

Old friend of mine owned one, nuts. My GSX1400 (unleashed, as in power commander Yoshi etc) felt a little slow next to it.

Btw @chance vought that Guzzi is pron on wheels, congrats!

Yeah I've seen some youtubes of that, that thing was nuts!
The newer Euro emission standards are so bad...bikes weigh more and more, with bigger engines and less power.
The emissions standards aren't helping to make interesting bikes. That's why I like my 9T from 2014. Euro 3, loud, rowdy and limited electronics.

That said, I recently tested the new Ducati super mono supermoto thing. That thing was a riot. Proper hooligan bike.

Just got back last last night from a 2 day Honda Grom tour to Italy.

The Honda Grom MSX 125 is a sister of the Honda Monkey bike. It's basically a mini supermoto and it's huge fun. You don't have to watch the speedo all the time like you do with the big bikes and then fun is in riding it at full gas EVERYWHERE.

My mate has an identical bike so you can imagine the fun you have with two decent riders on tight twisty roads on little bikes that turn like flies.

This time we decided to camp overnight so loading up the little bikes with full camping gear was an adventure in itself.

1000058203.webp
1000058121.webp

Last edited:

The Honda Grom MSX 125 is a sister of the Honda Monkey bike. It's basically a mini supermoto and it's huge fun. You don't have to watch the speedo all the time like you do with the big bikes and then fun is in riding it at full gas EVERYWHERE.

My mate has an identical bike so you can imagine the fun you have with two decent riders on tight twisty roads on little bikes that turn like flies.

This time we decided to camp overnight so loading up the little bikes with full camping gear was an adventure in itself.

View attachment 10381
View attachment 10382

Such beauty, thank you for sharing.

My bike just crapped the bed again, and I'm through trailering it home. Haven't even tried troubleshooting it, already shopping for the next one.

I have an idea to move away from a UJM litre bike (which has been my type of ride for 20+ years) and try an early 2000s BMW 1150. A GS, R1150R or R1150RT. Reasons; break from my usual type, and I can find some quite cheaply round here. I just want to get something asap that I can finish the season with, and put time into a longer term bike next year.

My bike just crapped the bed again, and I'm through trailering it home. Haven't even tried troubleshooting it, already shopping for the next one.

I have an idea to move away from a UJM litre bike (which has been my type of ride for 20+ years) and try an early 2000s BMW 1150. A GS, R1150R or R1150RT. Reasons; break from my usual type, and I can find some quite cheaply round here. I just want to get something asap that I can finish the season with, and put time into a longer term bike next year.
Love the boxers.

The Honda Grom MSX 125 is a sister of the Honda Monkey bike.
I had one soon after they were introduced in England. What a lot of fun it was. It's one of those bikes that creates interest whenever you stop. I would've kept it, but I was strapped for cash back then.

Back