Motorcycles

So motorcycling is in my blood too. My grandad was busy chasing Rommel around the desert in ww2 and I have a photo of him somewhere on a bike in Egypt.

Loads of photos of me growing up around bikes, never got to own one until I moved out here. Since then Ive had:

1992 africa twin (should never had sold that)
2001 ktm 950 adventure S (should never have sold that)
2003 Ducati monster s4r (should never have sold that)
2014 bmw r9t
2014 Honda grom 125
2001 gas gas txt280 trials bike
1993 yamaha super tenere.

Was out on the 9 today. Hooligan bike.

So motorcycling is in my blood too. My grandad was busy chasing Rommel around the desert in ww2 and I have a photo of him somewhere on a bike in Egypt.

Loads of photos of me growing up around bikes, never got to own one until I moved out here. Since then Ive had:

1992 africa twin (should never had sold that)
2001 ktm 950 adventure S (should never have sold that)
2003 Ducati monster s4r (should never have sold that)
2014 bmw r9t
2014 Honda grom 125
2001 gas gas txt280 trials bike
1993 yamaha super tenere.

Was out on the 9 today. Hooligan bike.
I'm pretty sure I've been to that spot, it's on Lake Geneva near Montreux, right? Brings back a lot of good memories.

You guys make me want to go out and buy a motorcycle today. But knowing the death rate, I just can't do it in good conscience.

I'm pretty sure I've been to that spot, it's on Lake Geneva near Montreux, right? Brings back a lot of good memories.

You guys make me want to go out and buy a motorcycle today. But knowing the death rate, I just can't do it in good conscience.
Yes, up on the ridge. You can see it from Montreux, it's a eyesore.

I think biking is as safe as you want it to be. I feel safer on a bike, you can accelerate your way away from trouble.

I think biking is as safe as you want it to be. I feel safer on a bike, you can accelerate your way away from trouble.

I feel less safe in a car for that exact reason.

I'd feel a lot safer around Swiss drivers than Americans. Here I can go a whole day without seeing a single motorcycle, people aren't used to them and don't know how to drive around them.

My friend and I need to settle an argument.

He works at Yamaha, and his employee discount on motorcycles is 32%. His two options are: 2024 R1 and 2024 R7. He has M1 license and his experience is NOT suited for R1. Nevertheless, he’s considering buying the R1 with intention of rarely riding it. He believes since this year will be the last for R1 production, it’ll make a great investment.

I, on the other hand, try to remind him of his past stupid crashes on much lighter bikes. He’s been a great friend for a long time, so I want to to make sure he’s not digging his own grave.

Any thoughts?

If someone had multiple stupid crashes on motorcycles in the past (ie their fault & poor judgment involved) then I would personally reckon they should give up riding altogether, much less buy a 1000cc crotch rocket. Unless they have done some seriously self-reflection on those incidents, matured and spend time doing dedicated practice to iron out recklessness and bad decision-making.

If someone had multiple stupid crashes on motorcycles in the past (ie their fault & poor judgment involved) then I would personally reckon they should give up riding altogether, much less buy a 1000cc crotch rocket. Unless they have done some seriously self-reflection on those incidents, matured and spend time doing dedicated practice to iron out recklessness and bad decision-making.
Good point.

He’s planned to take safety courses before buying the bike, a signs of maturity I guess.

He works at Yamaha, and his employee discount on motorcycles is 32%. His two options are: 2024 R1 and 2024 R7. He has M1 license and his experience is NOT suited for R1.
Any thoughts?
1st, that is a massive employee discount. Interesting.

2nd, both those bikes will kill you basically the same, so I don't think it really matters.

I learned to ride at 17 on an fzr600, and had a 929rr a year later. I used to buy and sell while in college to pay the bills. I commuted home on them every weekend, on busy SF Bay Area freeways. If your mindset is not to crash, you won't crash for the most part. I've done atleast 100k miles on streets and highways, and I swear I've had only TWO close calls, one of which was my fault for sure.

Statistically 100k miles on a bike is like doing 6 million miles in a car. Two close calls, zero crashes.

Then a decade later I went to Thailand and rented a 125 dual sport for a month. I realized I wasn't a good rider. I was barely riding those sport bikes at home. I was the equivalent of a super cautious old Asian lady in a Toyota Camry. I survived riding, because I was super cautious everywhere. But I had zero bike control skills, just like most cautious Asian ladies have zero car control skills.

By the end of my month in Thailand, I could lockup the brakes and come to a skidding stop diagonally at a red light for fun.

I came back home and bought a wr250r with supermoto tires and rode that around for 2 years, neglecting my 06 R1. It improved my riding 10x.

Now I'm much better at riding my R1 on the street.

Long story short, anyone that's cautious can control a liter bike. Just be sane and realize skin grafts suck, broken bones suck, and damaging your bike sucks. So don't charge corners and don't go much faster than cars near you.

But your friend will never get good at riding if he steps up to a sports bike too soon. It would be like trying to learn car control in a Ferrari. You just can't. Better to get a Miata first.

2nd, both those bikes will kill you basically the same, so I don't think it really matters.

I learned to ride at 17 on an fzr600, and had a 929rr a year later. I used to buy and sell while in college to pay the bills. I commuted home on them every weekend, on busy SF Bay Area freeways. If your mindset is not to crash, you won't crash for the most part. I've done atleast 100k miles on streets and highways, and I swear I've had only TWO close calls, one of which was my fault for sure.

Statistically 100k miles on a bike is like doing 6 million miles in a car. Two close calls, zero crashes.

Then a decade later I went to Thailand and rented a 125 dual sport for a month. I realized I wasn't a good rider. I was barely riding those sport bikes at home. I was the equivalent of a super cautious old Asian lady in a Toyota Camry. I survived riding, because I was super cautious everywhere. But I had zero bike control skills, just like most cautious Asian ladies have zero car control skills.

By the end of my month in Thailand, I could lockup the brakes and come to a skidding stop diagonally at a red light for fun.

I came back home and bought a wr250r with supermoto tires and rode that around for 2 years, neglecting my 06 R1. It improved my riding 10x.

Long story short, anyone that's cautious can control a liter bike. Just be sane and realize skin grafts suck, broken bones suck, and damaging your bike sucks. So don't charge corners and don't go much faster than cars near you.

But your friend will never get good at riding if he steps up to a sports bike too soon. It would be like trying to learn car control in a Ferrari. You just can't. Better to get a Miata first.
It seems you have incredible years of experience, and I wish you many more!

Appreciate the insightful input, I’ll use it as a counterpoint.

The 32% is nicely surprising and it’s off of MSRP and then the usual fees on top.

Starting on a big bike makes you a bad rider period. Start on a 250, preferably one you can take off road and take classes. Riding smaller bikes fast is also much more fun than riding big bikes slow that's why I love 400s so much, the perfect compromise. (Cb400 super fours are so much fun)

He works at Yamaha, and his employee discount on motorcycles is 32%. His two options are: 2024 R1 and 2024 R7. He has M1 license and his experience is NOT suited for R1. Nevertheless, he’s considering buying the R1 with intention of rarely riding it. He believes since this year will be the last for R1 production, it’ll make a great investment.

I, on the other hand, try to remind him of his past stupid crashes on much lighter bikes. He’s been a great friend for a long time, so I want to to make sure he’s not digging his own grave.

Any thoughts?
Mainly that he has his own free will and can buy whatever he wants.

Mainly that he has his own free will and can buy whatever he wants.
Sorry @AEON , I didn't mean to sound like a dick, I phrased it wrong.

What I meant was that just let him buy what he wants. I always wanted two specific bikes, the Aprilla RSV Mille and the Honda VTR SP2. I bought neither and now I'm too old for sports bikes and I'm always gutted when I see them. I wish I had just gone and done what I wanted, but I was too busy considering other people's opinions/feelings.

If your mate wants an R1 he should go get it. It makes an incredible sound and he will probably scare himself silly and sell it shortly thereafter.

Sorry @AEON , I didn't mean to sound like a dick, I phrased it wrong.

What I meant was that just let him buy what he wants. I always wanted two specific bikes, the Aprilla RSV Mille and the Honda VTR SP2. I bought neither and now I'm too old for sports bikes and I'm always gutted when I see them. I wish I had just gone and done what I wanted, but I was too busy considering other people's opinions/feelings.

If your mate wants an R1 he should go get it. It makes an incredible sound and he will probably scare himself silly and sell it shortly thereafter.
Not a problem at all brother.

I definitely see your point. We need to squeeze as much as we can from this thing called life. I appreciate both the insight and the follow-up!

This about the most honest and true advice you can get.

I taught some motorcycle lessons in college and one of the fundamentals of our instructor training was the use of enduro bikes. Dirt riders are the best riders, hands down. They have been bagging and crashing bikes since they were kids and know the limits - how to stay in them but also push them. I remember my own youth and outgrowing my CR80. How did my dad know I was outgrowing it? By me pushing that thing beyond the limits of what it is capable.

Funny you mention Thailand. I also rented an enduro for a month when I was there. Having been a dirt rider since I was 5 I thought it would be cakewalk hitting back roads in the jungle. Turns out Canadian dirt is nothing like jungle dirt (slimy mud). I had to adapt quickly after a few crashes.

Sport bikes are great, but be mindful of what they are for. They are built for speed - and stopping/cornering and getting back up to speed as fast as possible - and that is all. If you understand this, then have at it. Nothing like linking a a few tight turns that open up into a loooong straight section with perfect visibility and rolling back the throttle to hear the litre engine howl through the gears.

But for me and Yamaha, I would take one of the Tenere bikes in a second. No hesitation. One of the best bikes I have ever ridden (my brother has one).

I taught some motorcycle lessons in college and one of the fundamentals of our instructor training was the use of enduro bikes. Dirt riders are the best riders, hands down. They have been bagging and crashing bikes since they were kids and know the limits - how to stay in them but also push them. I remember my own youth and outgrowing my CR80. How did my dad know I was outgrowing it? By me pushing that thing beyond the limits of what it is capable.

Funny you mention Thailand. I also rented an enduro for a month when I was there. Having been a dirt rider since I was 5 I thought it would be cakewalk hitting back roads in the jungle. Turns out Canadian dirt is nothing like jungle dirt (slimy mud). I had to adapt quickly after a few crashes.

Sport bikes are great, but be mindful of what they are for. They are built for speed - and stopping/cornering and getting back up to speed as fast as possible - and that is all. If you understand this, then have at it. Nothing like linking a a few tight turns that open up into a loooong straight section with perfect visibility and rolling back the throttle to hear the litre engine howl through the gears.

But for me and Yamaha, I would take one of the Tenere bikes in a second. No hesitation. One of the best bikes I have ever ridden (my brother has one).
I feel like I need to get an enduro for myself now - that and similar bikes sound like the perfect point to start riding and experimenting. Thank you, @Laner!

My best mate out here has a tenere. It's ugly as sin and I can't bear to look at it but it's an amazing machine and capable of so much. I went out recently and bought a 1993 super tenere. Whilst not as modern, it keeps up nicely with the new tenere and looks way cooler.

Completely agree with you about riding off road. Once you know that even if the front wheel is locked and sliding that you can still stay up, the road doesn't phase you at all. My favourite bike for off road is a gas gas 280 2 stoke trials bike. That thing goes anywhere.

Back