• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

Lifter's Lounge

Does anyone even get 100 g protein a day?
What I've heard lately is you want at least .7g protein per pound (people with a lot of fat need less) to optimize muscle growth, so a 200lb man would need at least 140g of protein. It's a lot. At 190lbs I struggle to get 100g many days. Today I got there with 10 eggs, a beef sub, a scoop of protein powder and 5 good sized meatballs. That probably got me to around 170g which is pretty good, but I don't get anything near that most days, and today I just happened to not eat many carbs which helped.

What I've heard lately is you want at least .7g protein per pound (people with a lot of fat need less) to optimize muscle growth, so a 200lb man would need at least 140g of protein. It's a lot. At 190lbs I struggle to get 100g many days. Today I got there with 10 eggs, a beef sub, a scoop of protein powder and 5 good sized meatballs. That probably got me to around 170g which is pretty good, but I don't get anything near that most days, and today I just happened to not eat many carbs which helped.
It's not that hard if you're making a serious effort.

4x 5 oz chicken is 140g

That's not that hard to do really.

It's not that hard if you're making a serious effort.

4x 5 oz chicken is 140g

That's not that hard to do really.
I can usually get between 90-100% of my weight in protein by lightly monitoring it. Usually a couple of scoops of protein powder help me get there. I normally drink a lot of milk, and that's 25% right there, so throw in some chicken, eggs and beef and it's not hard.

But 20oz of chicken a day?? That's too much bland for me even if you spice it up with mustards, veggies, yogurt and the like.

Starting with the new year I decided to track all of my food intake with an app and it's much easier. It's very addicting. Usually I hate the gamification concept, but it's been working pretty well for me to lose weight and still up my lifts.

Now if only we could stop having family parties, after church breakfasts, date nights, etc... :)

Does anyone even get 100 g protein a day?

Has anyone done a natty or not workout regimen?

I was wondering if his The End, in and out (maximalization) was worth it since he's a no BS person. I sorta didn't want to buy it with a CC though, due to privacy concerns.

Might be considered awful, but I take 2 protein shakes a day with 60 grams of protein each.

I get mine off myprotein.com, the impact whey. Been getting it for years. I usually get 5 to 6 bags at 11 lbs each at a time. Wait for a sale that's at least 40% off and buy big. This lasts me anywhere from 6 months to a year depending on number of daily shakes, what sort of dieting I am attempting, or not attempting.

This ensures that a light lunch and a normal meal for dinner will satisfy my protein needs, after 120g of protein has already been consumed in shake form, it is easy to get another 60 to 80 grams from ordinary foods. I had 3 slices of papa murphys pizza earlier and, allegedly, that was 75 grams of protein. So with what you could consider the worst sort of diet, I have still satisfied the requirement for protein to build and maintain muscle.

A pound of raw chicken breast is nearly 100 grams of protein. So in order to reach the same level I get with two shakes you'd have to cook and consume about 1.25 lbs of raw chicken breast. Where I'm at, that's easily 6 dollars.

I don't know about you, but I am not spending 180 dollars a month to eat lean chicken breast. I'd rather slam a shake than sit down and eat another chicken breast. The protein powder costs me half as much for half the effort and does the exact same thing. Is it bad for you? I don't know. Does it work? Yes.

The natty or not guy, last I checked, was all about doing as little as possible to maintain what he has so he can get on with his life and do other activities. I see no problem with that approach if that is what you are referencing.

Might be considered awful, but I take 2 protein shakes a day with 60 grams of protein each.

I get mine off myprotein.com, the impact whey. Been getting it for years. I usually get 5 to 6 bags at 11 lbs each at a time. Wait for a sale that's at least 40% off and buy big. This lasts me anywhere from 6 months to a year depending on number of daily shakes, what sort of dieting I am attempting, or not attempting.

This ensures that a light lunch and a normal meal for dinner will satisfy my protein needs, after 120g of protein has already been consumed in shake form, it is easy to get another 60 to 80 grams from ordinary foods. I had 3 slices of papa murphys pizza earlier and, allegedly, that was 75 grams of protein. So with what you could consider the worst sort of diet, I have still satisfied the requirement for protein to build and maintain muscle.

A pound of raw chicken breast is nearly 100 grams of protein. So in order to reach the same level I get with two shakes you'd have to cook and consume about 1.25 lbs of raw chicken breast. Where I'm at, that's easily 6 dollars.

I don't know about you, but I am not spending 180 dollars a month to eat lean chicken breast. I'd rather slam a shake than sit down and eat another chicken breast. The protein powder costs me half as much for half the effort and does the exact same thing. Is it bad for you? I don't know. Does it work? Yes.

The natty or not guy, last I checked, was all about doing as little as possible to maintain what he has so he can get on with his life and do other activities. I see no problem with that approach if that is what you are referencing.
Typically the genetic component of muscle gain is appetite.

If you've got a natural tenedncy to be a fat arse like me, its not that hard to gain muscle...and you can just about eat an unlimited amount of protein (with in a macro nutrient reasonable amount) and suffer minimal fat gain.

As I'm writing this, I've had 3 meals, each of about 40 g of protien, am going to work out and consume a 25g protien and 30g carb shake, and will then eat another 40 g protien. So for me, its not that hard.

Total G of protien is important, but if you are eating lots of carbs, you need less protein.

There are 4 ways to increase strength according to the science and principles of strength training by zatsiorsky. That book might be a meme but I read it eight years ago and this always stuck with me.

Max effort - low reps, pretty obvious. Lot of different ways to do this and they all involve some flavor of 10 to 30 reps for singles, doubles, or triples. Powerlifters are 100% the best people to ask about this, as they have gotten the fatigue and nervous system management down to a science. You can't peak your strength forever, of course.

Lifting to failure - classic, also obvious. Bodybuilders do this more or less all the time. My general favorite method of training because I just go til I cant, don't even have to count reps. Anywhere from sets of 6 to as high as 30. Probably the most brainless approach and lends itself well to what I call "lifting for fun".

Lifting a weight with maximum speed - a lot harder to effectively program or do safely so this is out for most people. I suppose hill sprints for the legs might do this. Picking up a moderately heavy sandbag and slinging it over the shoulder as hard as you can also does this. Squat jumps with a barbell, push presses with the barbell, cleans I suppose. Oly lifts aren't recommended without proper coaching, but oly lifts with dumbbells are a lot less technical because you dont have to shimmy your body around a bar at speed. The focus is on maximum speed so when your reps slow down, you stop. Do not grind these.

Submaximal lifting for submaximal amount of reps - so for example 5 sets of 8 reps of a weight that you can comfortably do. Tends toward larger volume, I'd recommend no less than 30 total reps per mpvement if not more. Do that for 6 to 8 weeks then bump the weight up a bit. It is very easy to phone it in with this approach which is probably why I never grew a cape and flew with this method. Gymnasts apparently favor this and they call it "steady state" training.

Pick one method and grind it out til it stops working, then pick a different one.

As far as methods.

The strength training modality with the most carryover to everything else is probably sandbag lifting, since they are so wiley to pick up with the hands. The center of gravity is far away from yours as well. You need strong arms and a strong grip to lift them. As Brian Alsruhe says, if you can lift a 300 lb sandbag, you can lift a 300 lb anything.

So for all the "functional training" guys out there and for whatever reason, that number seems to get larger by the day, if you don't want to pick up heavy iron but still want very useable strength, pick up somewhat less heavy but no less challenging sand.

A good sandbag can be bought or built and the cost of sand is pennies on the dollar compared to iron.

Or you can be terrible like me and buy them off ali express about 80% cheaper than you can buy them from american companies that just stitch their name on the chinese made sandbags.
Very interesting post. My favorite sandbag workout is a sandbag triple extension (or full extension). I do 6 reps for 5 sets and require each set to be done in 60sec. I'll superset that exercise with an ab exercise like a captain's chair. Great full body workout.

Typically the genetic component of muscle gain is appetite.

If you've got a natural tenedncy to be a fat arse like me, its not that hard to gain muscle...and you can just about eat an unlimited amount of protein (with in a macro nutrient reasonable amount) and suffer minimal fat gain.

As I'm writing this, I've had 3 meals, each of about 40 g of protien, am going to work out and consume a 25g protien and 30g carb shake, and will then eat another 40 g protien. So for me, its not that hard.

Total G of protien is important, but if you are eating lots of carbs, you need less protein.

It wasn't until I was 28 that I was able to really gain weight without trying, although at my peak fatness I was at 235 lbs at 6 foot tall. I am trying now in the most lazy way possible to cut weight, which is why the 2 shakes a day routine. I don't have a problem with cooking or eating meals, just that I am basically min maxing my hourly job now by taking shorter breaks and slamming a shake with a light snack in lieu of a meal. I am too busy at work but that is not a bad thing.

I have been able to maintain and even gain strength with this slower cutting process as I am currently at 215 but still fatter than I'd like to be.

It wasn't until I was 28 that I was able to really gain weight without trying, although at my peak fatness I was at 235 lbs at 6 foot tall. I am trying now in the most lazy way possible to cut weight, which is why the 2 shakes a day routine. I don't have a problem with cooking or eating meals, just that I am basically min maxing my hourly job now by taking shorter breaks and slamming a shake with a light snack in lieu of a meal. I am too busy at work but that is not a bad thing.

I have been able to maintain and even gain strength with this slower cutting process as I am currently at 215 but still fatter than I'd like to be.
Just gonna run some quick math...

180 a month for chicken? You can get chicken thighs and whole chicken and ect and you shouldn't be spending that much...

My food budget is so wack with 6 boys + me ECT...

Outside of bulk buying:

15 scoops of protein is about 1lb (you're getting 2 or 3 scoops for 60 grams x 2 so that's 6 scoops) that's about 2.5 lbs of protein powder a week.

Normal prices would be about $15-20 a lb, so $40 a week.

That's your $180 a month on protein powder... Which is not nearly as good as eating chicken or beef for you.

I understand youre buying bulk... But outside of that it's not cheaper.

Now for chicken: 2.5lbs is about $10 ($4/lb). 2.5 lbs is 8 x 5 oz meals (so 2 days worth) so that turns out to be $35 a week.

So for most people not buying bulk... You're not really saving much of any money...in fact that breaks down to about $1.25 per meal (5 oz).

At 60g pro for 2 or 3 scoops your paying $2 to $3 per meal.

Anyone have any general tips for those of us lifting with labrum (SLAP) tears? I just did back today and skipped lat pull downs, opting just for rows, and my shoulder feels better than it normally does after doing lat pull downs. Wondering if I should still do lat pull downs, just at a lower weight for more reps maybe? Or does that increased volume still put a lot of stress on it? Or is there an alternative?

Anyone have any general tips for those of us lifting with labrum (SLAP) tears? I just did back today and skipped lat pull downs, opting just for rows, and my shoulder feels better than it normally does after doing lat pull downs. Wondering if I should still do lat pull downs, just at a lower weight for more reps maybe? Or does that increased volume still put a lot of stress on it? Or is there an alternative?
I believe Mark Rippetoe has some good videos discussing this. I think you can find something from him on the starting strength forum also.

I had some really bad shoulder pain, not sure it was torn Labrum, but for me face pulls helped.

Check out Rippetoes articles or videos and I'd go from there.

Just gonna run some quick math...

180 a month for chicken? You can get chicken thighs and whole chicken and ect and you shouldn't be spending that much...

My food budget is so wack with 6 boys + me ECT...

Outside of bulk buying:

15 scoops of protein is about 1lb (you're getting 2 or 3 scoops for 60 grams x 2 so that's 6 scoops) that's about 2.5 lbs of protein powder a week.

Normal prices would be about $15-20 a lb, so $40 a week.

That's your $180 a month on protein powder... Which is not nearly as good as eating chicken or beef for you.

I understand youre buying bulk... But outside of that it's not cheaper.

Now for chicken: 2.5lbs is about $10 ($4/lb). 2.5 lbs is 8 x 5 oz meals (so 2 days worth) so that turns out to be $35 a week.

So for most people not buying bulk... You're not really saving much of any money...in fact that breaks down to about $1.25 per meal (5 oz).

At 60g pro for 2 or 3 scoops your paying $2 to $3 per meal.
No, you're right. My brain is stuck on calorie cutting and for some reason I went straight to chicken breast. Used to be 2 bucks a pound, it really went up. I quit buying the walmart chicken breast all the time because it gives me gut rot. No idea why.

If I wasn't able to get the protein powder at the cost I get it at, then yeah my next option would be the bulk 10 lb bag of chicken quarters. They are good on the smoker. Pork loin is also cheap. I do that anyways, the protein powder is 100% convenience and I wouldn't do it if it cost me $1 a scoop.

My buddy eats those and then rice as his main sources of calories, he saves a lot of money that way.

I have been buying from myprotein for about 10 years at this point and have been able to consistently get an 11 lb bag for anywhere from 60 to 90 dollars a bag with a coupon code. Last time I bought was a week ago and it was 102 a bag with 46% off. You get 200 scoops at 19g protein per scoop. Approximately 50 cents a scoop.

Everything has gone up, it seems.

I don't know about you, but I am not spending 180 dollars a month to eat lean chicken breast. I'd rather slam a shake than sit down and eat another chicken breast.
I agree. I hate chicken in general, it's so boring and to be honest, I don't even trust its production anymore. Might as well eat the protein powder, perhaps I should start doing that because I often fast due to most food being overpriced and garbage anyway.
This is how I've been, especially after age 39 or so. I did 5-3-1 and was great into my mid 30s, but I'm also lean and fairly tall. Not a big guy though, so I couldn't eat enough to get to be "big" and honestly I don't want to. But that means I don't look like someone who lifts and you'd have to get clothes off to be impressed, which means most don't know and I've figured most women don't care; some just like big guys in general since they don't look at men like men look at women. That's why when friends talk about having abs and all this I'm like, listen dude, you're a big guy you aren't going to get them, trust me. Just take your bigger body genetics and be OK with it.
If you've got a natural tenedncy to be a fat arse like me, its not that hard to gain muscle
You have the genes to be big, and that means big all around. That's fine. As above, my feeling is that only in the age where I could do some dating app nonsense and show pictures of abs does being lean matter, anyway. And most of this stuff is gay anyway, btw

I agree. I hate chicken in general, it's so boring and to be honest, I don't even trust its production anymore. Might as well eat the protein powder, perhaps I should start doing that because I often fast due to most food being overpriced and garbage anyway.
I like a lot of eggs which you can still get cheaply for the protein content.

4 boiled eggs is a out 30g protein and an easy breakfast. If you're like me and have chickens with eggs coming out of your ears...

This is how I've been, especially after age 39 or so. I did 5-3-1 and was great into my mid 30s, but I'm also lean and fairly tall. Not a big guy though, so I couldn't eat enough to get to be "big" and honestly I don't want to. But that means I don't look like someone who lifts and you'd have to get clothes off to be impressed, which means most don't know and I've figured most women don't care; some just like big guys in general since they don't look at men like men look at women. That's why when friends talk about having abs and all this I'm like, listen dude, you're a big guy you aren't going to get them, trust me. Just take your bigger body genetics and be OK with it.
Ha yes. Vast majority Women do not care at all. Many actually see dudes with abs and think they're probably very narcissistic.

If you're more pretty than they are, they tend to act insecure or squirly.

You have the genes to be big, and that means big all around. That's fine. As above, my feeling is that only in the age where I could do some dating app nonsense and show pictures of abs does being lean matter, anyway. And most of this stuff is gay anyway, btw
Yeah, this is my point... There's a genetic appetite component + joint size and angles that have a lot to do with your ability to gain weight and how you look when you have gained weight.

For instance, small joints and long/low insertion points give muscle bellies the perception of size. A dude who's 5 ft 7 with 18 inch arms looks a lot different than a guy whose 6ft 3 with 18 inch arms. Especially if the shorter guy has low insertion points of the biceps.

I believe Mark Rippetoe has some good videos discussing this. I think you can find something from him on the starting strength forum also.

I had some really bad shoulder pain, not sure it was torn Labrum, but for me face pulls helped.

Check out Rippetoes articles or videos and I'd go from there.
Listened to several of his videos. I like his attitude and his suggestions, thanks for the recommendation. I've seen him clipped elsewhere but I didn't know who he was.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of chicken, or pork for that matter. Red meat is so much better, but unfortunately all animal protein sources have gotten so much more expensive. I really like dairy, so I'll eat cottage cheese, which is pretty affordable, just wish Costco sold it. Drinking milk is a great way to get some more protein and get those calories for those of us who really don't like eating that much.

On non-fasting days I'll drink 5 or 6 raw eggs in the morning before the gym. I mix them up, add some salt, nutmeg, ginger, and maple syrup. It actually tastes good. Add some milk and cinnamon and it's basically just eggnog. But your body is only half as efficient at digesting the protein in raw egg white compared to cooked, so that's not a great source. I think of it as a supplement and easy meal. I do value convenience a lot more now than I used to, so I'm not opposed to protein powder. Sometimes Costco has it on sale - just picked up some Orgain non-soy vegan protein powder on sale in preparation for Lent, turned out to be ~4.5 cents per gram of protein, which is a decent deal, even if it's plant protein. Cheap whey isolate on Amazon can be found for 2.6 cents per gram of protein when purchased in a 10lb size (definitely not the best for you), and the 9.5 pound pack of chicken tenderloins my wife bought at Costco the other day comes out to 3.6 cents per gram of protein. Whole milk is 3.5 cents per gram at a cost of $4.33 per gallon, but with that you get a lot of healthy fats as well. Cooked eggs are 2.7 cents per gram of protein, again with healthy fat and cholesterol, easily the best deal when you factor in nutrition.

COST PER GRAM OF PROTEIN, JAN 2024, SOURCE: ME
Egg, cooked (at $2 a dozen)2.7 cents/g
Cheap whey isolate2.6 cents/g
Costco chicken tenderloin3.6 cents/g
Whole milk3.5 cents

So even the most expensive protein source on that short list comes out to just over $5 a day if that was your sole source, assuming you're a 200lb man trying to eat at least .7g per pound of bodyweight, which is the minimum suggested for building muscle.

Last edited:
Vast majority Women do not care at all. Many actually see dudes with abs and think they're probably very narcissistic.
Yes, they say they do because everyone else has moved on to "Men, now jump through hoop #17" and notice that the app and hookup culture is also gay, so it will be physically focused as opposed to traditionally focused. So it'll be the promiscuous ones or the younger girls taking cues trying to get guys 2+ points higher than they are, through apps because women are unchaperoned, attention seeking, and lazy.

As for protein, it seems eggs and chicken, yes.

Back