Jay Dyer Thread

Interesting conversation the last few pages - kudos to WoodArch4033 for giving some great responses. I’ll add a couple points of commentary I feel got overlooked along the way.

The types of animal sacrifice are one of the biggest reasons I am convinced of PSA

For those interested in this topic, Fr. Steven de Young’s “The Religion Of The Apostles” goes in-depth into the subject of the OT sacrificial system.

To sum it up, most of the types of sacrifice outlined in the OT are a bringing forth of one’s produce/livelihood, or of one’s riches/resources, out of love and self-denial. This is a sacrifice in the same sense that, say, a father sacrifices his resources for the sake of his family, *not* in the sense of something else being punished instead of the person offering it. The notion that the OT system involves giving God alternative targets upon which to take out his anger is rather obviously refuted when you spend some time reading Leviticus, especially chapter 2, where various types of sacrifice are not even animals and are instead things like offerings of wheat, first fruits of crops, and other food offerings.

There’s no notion at all that sheep, rams, and pigeons are punished or receive angry destruction from God instead of the person offering it. This is also illustrated by the fact that the *way* the animal is killed is not very important, but rather that this is a precedent to its blood being sprinkled for the offering.

That [the scapegoat] is penal substitution in the Old Testament, which points to the only truly effective penal substitution in the New Testament, as defined in Hebrews.

But the problem here is twofold. One, the scapegoat isn’t killed, merely let loose into the wilderness, so the analogy with Christ already breaks down at that level; and two, the image surrounding Christ’s sacrifice throughout Scripture is that of the lamb, not the goat. John the Baptist doesn’t proclaim “Behold, the Scapegoat of God, whom God will beat up instead of you!”

Saying both/and is saying that Christ dying for you alone is insufficient to save you, and His atoning work must be added to or actuated in some other way. Which is contradictory to Hebrews: by one offering He has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified.

The problem is that humans aren’t static entities, like properties in computer code set to true or false, but dynamic beings, which unfortunately means that we rather easily choose to return to wallowing in the mud of sin rather than abiding in Christ. The reason why the sacraments of Confession and Holy Communion exist is to account for this fact and to rehabilitate us and re-unite us to Christ when we stumble. These aren’t “things” we “add to,” or “works” we can “boast about”, but gifts God gives us to help us in our weakness.

How in the world is partaking of Holy Communion a “work” on my part? All I “do” is open my mouth. God, through His Church, does the rest. The real question is the means by which God imparts salvation: through an abstract rational assent (which Scripture itself calls the “faith of demons”) , or by tangible means that condescend to our nature as dynamic, corporeal beings?

So He hasn't perfected forever by His one offering?

The issue isn’t Christ’s offering bringing salvation, but our stubborn refusal to abide in it. Empirical observation of how actual Christians act is enough to illustrate this, since - at least in my experience, and that of every Christian I’ve ever known - we obviously continue to sin to varying degrees and must struggle toward holiness.

If one prayed a prayer professing faith in Christ and was immediately perfected by God’s grace then I’d be much more willing to grant the presuppositions of the Calvinist system, but it doesn’t line up with how Christians actually behave; it instead posits a sort of theoretical anthropology (not unlike “systems” in other domains, such as Capitalism or Marxism, which posit how people should/will act in theory, but which break down in practice as human behavior and motivations are more complex than these system posit or are even capable of accounting.)

One reason why I found Orthodoxy convincing is because its anthropology and perspective on these matters line up with how people actually behave “on the ground.” We obviously keep sinning and separate ourselves from God’s grace, so God provides means for us to be reconciled and healed. It’s an eminently practical approach to the spiritual life.

And then it depends on us doing our part, with the empowerment and help and mercy of God.

This is really the essential part of synergism, we are empowered by God’s grace to choose to follow Him or reject Him. Our ability to choose is a gift given by God, not some intrinsic property of our own will, which is indeed damaged by sin; but the entire point is that in Christ God heals our nature, thus granting the capacity to choose to abide in Him.

The empowerment, help and mercy of God is why we will not fail in doing our part. Because He never fails.

But this is obviously wrong because well-intentioned Christians fail all the time. These kinds of statements sound nice on paper but don’t line up with how people actually behave. It seems far more plausible to me that this is just rhetorical maneuvering and the notion that God either provides no grace, or grace that essentially forces you to do this or that, is a completely arbitrary distinction.

The sacraments/ordinances are good works.

Well, sort of, if you understand “good works” to mean works God does for us to help us rather than “things we do to impress God.” To assume that Orthodox are saying the latter is to anachronistically press into service St. Paul’s rhetoric challenging Jewish self-satisfaction based on pride in their identity (eg., “We have Abraham as our father!”) against Orthodox sacraments. It’s an apples to oranges comparison. The apple can shout all day that the orange is an apple, but if you’re an orange, you find the argument less than convincing.

Ultimately my concern for those who see something in themselves that deserves salvation is this, if you want to be judged according to your personal works, merits, and righteousness, then you will be. And that judgement will not turn out in your favor.

When I see these sorts of accusations it really betrays that you just don’t have any familiarity with how Orthodox people actually perceive their salvation and relation of “good works” to it. I realize that reading the prayers of the Church and service texts and lives of the Saints is less exciting than theological writings, but if one really wants to understand how we think about all this in practice, going to church services, listening to the prayers, reading the lives of Saints will give a much clearer idea. Our theology is not reflected by Reformed theological mathematics (“If you say X then you really mean Y and Y = Z!”).

What Orthodox saint ever reached the end of their lives proclaiming how confident they were in their own sanctity? Instead they tend to regard themselves as the worst of sinners relying entirely on God’s mercy to save them who can see no good in themselves; but those around them certainly can perceive their holiness. This is all vastly different from the Jewish behavior St. Paul is confronting in his epistles, and to try to utilize St. Paul’s texts in this way is just anachronistic. The round peg of Orthodox soteriology doesn’t fit into the square hole of Calvinism.

God does indeed know how we will use our will, which is not free but enslaved to sin.

Again, Orthodox don’t believe that we freely choose all on our own (which is Pelagianism), but that God grants us the grace to be able to choose freely. The real question is the nature of God’s grace: is it an on/off switch, or a healing of our ability to choose to respond to Him? God doesn’t make us act, but enables us to act. That is the Orthodox perspective.

Calvinists trying to frame this as us asserting we’re saved by our good works, or that God’s grace is somehow weak and ineffective, is just rhetorical evasion that misses what we actually believe, a notion of God’s grace that exists outside of the arbitrary parameters of the Reformed system. Iacobus’s post right above mine does an excellent job of explaining this by analogy.

It also tells us that we are incapable of doing those things because we are sinful and that He causes us to do those good things.

This is a great illustration of the problem with the Reformed system, which doesn’t seem to acknowledge that our nature is actually healed by Christ; the Reformed system seems to treat Christians as though they are still subject to the same behavioral parameters as heathens, but have their cosmic legal status altered by Christ.

Let me try to make an analogy, as always I invite my Orthodox brothers to correct me if I have something wrong as I am not a theological expert.
I've seen a similar analogy before. Usually where we're drowning.

I prefer this analogy. We are rebels who stormed God's castle, killed His servants and killed His Son and now the castle is burning down on top of us. He is free to pull some of us out of the fire or not.

I've seen a similar analogy before. Usually where we're drowning.

I prefer this analogy. We are rebels who stormed God's castle, killed His servants and killed His Son and now the castle is burning down on top of us. He is free to pull some of us out of the fire or not.

God desires that none should perish but that all should come to repentance. This is Scripture word for word.

Your analogy implies that God does not desire that none should perish and is thus unbiblical.

The only way to harmonize this is synergism.

But the problem here is twofold. One, the scapegoat isn’t killed, merely let loose into the wilderness, so the analogy with Christ already breaks down at that level; and two, the image surrounding Christ’s sacrifice throughout Scripture is that of the lamb, not the goat. John the Baptist doesn’t proclaim “Behold, the Scapegoat of God, whom God will beat up instead of you!”
It sounds like you're arguing against Hebrews at that point. The author of Hebrews is the one who draws these connections when speaking about Christ's atonement. If your tradition doesn't fit with that, that's one thing, but I have to go with Scripture.

The problem is that humans aren’t static entities, like properties in computer code set to true or false, but dynamic beings, which unfortunately means that we rather easily choose to return to wallowing in the mud of sin rather than abiding in Christ. The reason why the sacraments of Confession and Holy Communion exist is to account for this fact and to rehabilitate us and re-unite us to Christ when we stumble. These aren’t “things” we “add to,” or “works” we can “boast about”, but gifts God gives us to help us in our weakness.
Compared to God, we are finite, limited, and predictable. In His process of saving us, God gifts us the Holy Spirit to actually ensure we will be saved. He doesn't throw out the tools but leave it up to us at that point. So the sacraments are a means of grace, but God's grace is not locked behind the sacraments.

How in the world is partaking of Holy Communion a “work” on my part? All I “do” is open my mouth. God, through His Church, does the rest.
You must go to the Church and receive it. It is as much of a work as celebrating the Passover was a work. Whether they happen or not depends on you to receive them. Moreover, you can receive Communion unworthily and drink judgement to yourself. It depends on how you receive Communion.

The real question is the means by which God imparts salvation: through an abstract rational assent (which Scripture itself calls the “faith of demons”) , or by tangible means that condescend to our nature as dynamic, corporeal beings?
Faith alone which spurs us to do good works, such as receiving the sacraments in a worthy manner. The sacraments in themselves do not impart grace if you are without faith. If they did, then there would be no such thing as them bringing greater judgement to us, like Paul warns about.

When I see these sorts of accusations it really betrays that you just don’t have any familiarity with how Orthodox people actually perceive their salvation and relation of “good works” to it.
To be honest, most Orthodox don't seem to understand their own soteriology either. Most of the views I've heard are straight up Pelagianism but I've also heard Augustinian soteriology. This is why mere experimentalism is not enough, we should be thoroughly catechized in the Word.

God doesn’t make us act, but enables us to act. That is the Orthodox perspective.
Sure, prevenient grace. Which means God doesn't fully save you, He just gives you the tools to save yourself.

One reason why I found Orthodoxy convincing is because its anthropology and perspective on these matters line up with how people actually behave “on the ground
The most sub-biblical doctrine of Orthodoxy is its anthropology, hands down. If we are building our theology starting with how people actually act on the ground, then concepts about man's inability to please God, God's election not depending on human will or works, predestination, etc. become very muddled and confounded. Again, for the Reformed, the Bible is the chief definer of these things, not men.

This is a great illustration of the problem with the Reformed system, which doesn’t seem to acknowledge that our nature is actually healed by Christ; the Reformed system seems to treat Christians as though they are still subject to the same behavioral parameters as heathens, but have their cosmic legal status altered by Christ.
Huh? Your nature is only healed if you have been born again and are in Christ. If you are outside of Christ, your nature is as fallen as it ever was. Christians still struggle with sin, but God is acting to purify them out of that sin forever, it is not a task that He will fail in. How does He do this? By regenerating their nature. The heathen is still rebelling against God, his nature has not been healed yet.

Last edited:
God desires that none should perish but that all should come to repentance. This is Scripture word for word.
Yes, all in the Church, not every single individual. If you read it that way then the concept of Hell doesn't make sense.

Your analogy implies that God does not desire that none should perish and is thus unbiblical.
Your analogy implies an innocence on the part of man, which is unbiblical. Who is God going to send to hell?

The only way to harmonize this is synergism.
The pelagian spirit of synergism are why these errors keep coming up. It denies that God does all of the saving and that we do all of the sinning.

Where in Peter does it say "all in the Church"? I just see "all."
Read the context.

7But by His word the present heavens and earth are being reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.
Is God unwilling for the destruction of ungodly men? Of course not, the present heavens and earth are being reserved for their judgement.

9The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some consider slowness, but is patient toward you, not willing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.
But He is patient toward you (the Church he is addressing in his letter), not willing that any should perish but for all to come to repentance.

If you say God is unwilling that any single individual who ever lived should perish then Hell, Judgement Day, etc. don't make sense.

Last edited:
Read the context.

7But by His word the present heavens and earth are being reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.
Is God unwilling for the destruction of ungodly men? Of course not, the present heavens and earth being reserved for their judgement.

9The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some consider slowness, but is patient toward you, not willing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.
But He is patient toward you (the Church he is addressing in his letter), not willing that any should perish but for all to come to repentance.

Whoa there. Sure seems like you are inserting words into Scripture that are not there. The only time I see Church mentioned is your insertion.

If you say God is unwilling that any single individual who ever lived should perish then Hell, Judgement Day, etc. don't make sense.

This is exactly the point. Under your Calvinist presuppositions, they wouldn't make sense. On the other hand they make perfect sense under Orthodox synergism.

Whoa there. Sure seems like you are inserting words into Scripture that are not there. The only time I see Church mentioned is your insertion.
Who is Peter addressing 2 Peter to? When he refers to you, beloved, etc. who is he addressing? Who is he writing his letter to?

This is exactly the point. Under your Calvinist presuppositions, they wouldn't make sense. On the other hand they make perfect sense under Orthodox synergism.
Calvinism bad, Orthodoxy good, I get it already.
But I just demonstrated why your application of 2 Peter 3:9 doesn't make sense. God is clearly willing that ungodly men should perish in the day of judgement. This is why we shouldn't rip Bible verses out of context but understand them within their context.

Who is Peter addressing 2 Peter to? When he refers to you, beloved, etc. who is he addressing? Who is he writing his letter to?

So you are claiming that anytime in an epistle, the words "all" or "none" are used, they are referring exclusively to the specific people the letter are addressed to?

God is clearly willing that ungodly men should perish in the day of judgement.

There are different meanings of the word "will." God wills aka desires that none should perish. But God is willing aka he will allow that the ungodly shall perish.

So you are claiming that anytime in an epistle, the words "all" or "none" are used, they are referring exclusively to the specific people the letter are addressed to?
No, I am saying that they should be defined by their context. In this case, Peter is drawing a contrast between the heathen, whom God is willing to perish by reserving the day of judgement for, and the Church, whom God is unwilling to perish and is exercising patience for.

There are different meanings of the word "will." God wills aka desires that none should perish. But God is willing aka he will allow that the ungodly shall perish.
So God is unwilling that they should perish, but He reserves their destruction and judgement day for them anyway?

Because He sends people to Hell throughout the Bible. Precisely because He is good, He will punish them for their sins.

But to the Church, He has mercy and pardon.

Yeah, but he doesn't **want** to send anyone to Hell. People send themselves to Hell through rebellion.

Yeah, but he doesn't **want** to send anyone to Hell. People send themselves to Hell through rebellion.
If He doesn't want to send them to Hell, then He would not send them to Hell. They do deserve Hell, there is no dispute about that. But God is the one who is carrying out the judgement. Jesus says God is the one who destroys both body and soul in Hell.

If He doesn't want to send them to Hell, then He would not send them to Hell. They do deserve Hell, there is no dispute about that. But God is the one who is carrying out the judgement. Jesus says God is the one who destroys both body and soul in Hell.

He doesn't send them to Hell because he wants to, people send themselves to hell. God did not create anyone with the intention of sending them to hell. Just like a farmer doesn't plant crops with the intention they will fail, neither did God create mankind with the intent that they would fail too.

People choose Hell, no one forces them to go.

I think Christ gave the best analogy of salvation in the story of the Prodigal Son. We left our father, squandered our assets, and can't get any help from the world. Then we remember how good we had it, and how stupid we've been, and before we've traveled far, the father is already there to meet us.

He doesn't send them to Hell because he wants to, people send themselves to hell.
Matthew 25:41: “Then He will also say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels."

God did not create anyone with the intention of sending them to hell. Just like a farmer doesn't plant crops with the intention they will fail, neither did God create mankind with the intent that they would fail too.
If you believe in God's foreknowledge at all, then this theodicy is inescapable. In other words, it's a problem for every Christian other than an Open-Theist (who has bigger problems by denying God's foreknowledge altogether). He either knew when He created you that you were going to Hell or He didn't, and if He did know, why did He create you anyway? See Romans 9.

People choose Hell, no one forces them to go.
People choose sin and rebellion, and God's Justice forces them to go to Hell as a result. His agency as Judge cannot be denied here.

No, I am saying that they should be defined by their context. In this case, Peter is drawing a contrast between the heathen, whom God is willing to perish by reserving the day of judgement for, and the Church, whom God is unwilling to perish and is exercising patience for.

There is nothing in the context that precludes the reading that Peter is making a statement about humanity and not merely the Church he is writing to. So it falls to interpretation. Which is why Sola Scriptura fails and we need the Church and Holy Tradition to guide us to correct interpretation.

BTW I'm just going to throw out 1 Timothy 2:3-4 while we're at it: I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— 2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

So God is unwilling that they should perish, but He reserves their destruction and judgement day for them anyway?

God does not desire that they should perish, but perish they will if they reject Him. It's really not that hard to grasp. Imagine you are a father who must mete out punishment to his son... it will cause pain and suffering for him yet you know it is necessary. But you do not WANT to cause your son to feel pain and suffering.

He either knew when He created you that you were going to Hell or He didn't, and if He did know, why did He create you anyway?

For the exact same reason when you plant a field, you know some of those crops will fail. It doesn't mean you wanted those crops to fail, and it was necessary to plant those crops to gain a yield.

The Lord plants the field knowing some of us will fail, because he knows how some of us will misuse our free will. Some will separate ourselves from Him, and be damned on Judgement Day as a result.

In all of this, the Lord's intentions are pure. He is all knowing, and yet we have total free will.

Back