Grocery Stores are becoming unbearable

I can fully understand why business owners are choosing to run their businesses without staff, staff can be bad, rude, unreliable, they dont come to work, you have to parent them like babies etc etc, with a machine you dont have these problems,
What do business owners expect when they are paying their staff $10 per day? Its a case of get what you pay for.

This thread depresses me.

At the local supermarket I shop at, there is no music playing. Ever. Just blissful silence.
Although there are many other shoppers, most of them are older, don't make noise or do anything rude or obnoxious.
Produce is fresh, fruit is tasty.
There are no self-service stations.
When more than about 3 persons are in the queue, employees quickly open another.

These stories of other markets sound terrible.

Somebody who is reliable and good at their job won't work for $10 per day, even in a poor country so you get the leftover people.

Where in the west is the labor rate $10 per day? I'm lucky if I can hire someone for $15 an hour...

But it's true, someone who works hard I will pay more to retain and I do. Someone who is just going through the motions I'm not bumping them up, if they want to quit so be it.

Where in the west is the labor rate $10 per day? I'm lucky if I can hire someone for $15 an hour...

But it's true, someone who works hard I will pay more to retain and I do. Someone who is just going through the motions I'm not bumping them up, if they want to quit so be it.
Obviously we are not talking about the west. $10 - $15 per day does happen though in some third world countries. But even in third world countries where there are people being paid $10 per day you still need to pay like $30 per day at least if you want somebody reliable who actually cares about their job.

Obviously we are not talking about the west. $10 - $15 per day does happen though in some third world countries. But even in third world countries where there are people being paid $10 per day you still need to pay like $30 per day at least if you want somebody reliable who actually cares about their job.

Did not realize we were talking about third world grocery stores, don't think too many of us live in third world countries haha

I can say over many years whenever I have heard business owners or managers complain about how its so hard to get good employees and how their employees are not good enough, etc whenever I inquire about the pay rate of their employees its immediately obvious why they are in the situation they are in. I have never heard somebody that pays their employees extremely well complaining about struggling to find diligent and qualified employees who do a good job.

A lot of managers and business owners simply don't want to take accountability for their actions. If you want to pay as little as possible because you are a tight ass that is fine, but then don't turn around and complain about how their is a lack of good employees. You can't have it both ways and its very disingenuous.

I can say over many years whenever I have heard business owners or managers complain about how its so hard to get good employees and how their employees are not good enough, etc whenever I inquire about the pay rate of their employees its immediately obvious why they are in the situation they are in. I have never heard somebody that pays their employees extremely well complaining about struggling to find diligent and qualified employees who do a good job.

A lot of managers and business owners simply don't want to take accountability for their actions. If you want to pay as little as possible because you are a tight ass that is fine, but then don't turn around and complain about how their is a lack of good employees. You can't have it both ways and its very disingenuous.

A business owner has to be a complete idiot if he thinks it's worth having a badly run business for the sake of saving on payroll. People who run a business that way go under quickly, only massive corporations do it that way but that's a different situation altogether. I see it sometimes and it's usually someone who has no business owning a business in the first place, someone who should have stayed an employee.

Absolutely. Another thing is treating younger/new employees like garbage, then wondering why they leave. We don't want to end up miserable and bitter like them. This is especially common in the trades.

I do about 80% of my grocery shopping at Aldi now, I just don't care about name brand anything and I just want to get in, buy a weeks worth of food, and get out in 15 minutes.

I haven't walked into a walmart to do my own grocery shopping in a long time.
Same. 10 mins full shop, like a ninja.

A business owner has to be a complete idiot if he thinks it's worth having a badly run business for the sake of saving on payroll.
There are a lot more of these idiots then you think there are. And I would say if anything in the majority of professions large corporations on average pay there employees more than small businesses do. Now of course there are individual small businesses that pay there employees extremely well and they are usually thriving companies with forward thinking owners but they are the exception. Also the other part of pa goes to unionization. Typically large corporations are far more likely to have a lot of employees on union contracts than small businesses are.

For example in Australia the larger corporate owned hardware stores and large corporate owned specialty hardware stores typically pay 20% than a mom and pop owned hardware store. In Australia Aldi pays about 20% more than small independent supermarkets. Here somebody who works in a famous hotel such as a Marriot owned hotel, etc typically gets paid at least 10% more than someone working in a small non-descript hotel owned by an independent operator.

Many times in the past when I applied for jobs working at small companies in a position I had substantial experience for when I went to the job interview and mentioned how the pay was significantly less than what large companies (some of which I had worked for) were paying for the same position they replied with the usual b.s. of "we are a small company we can't afford to pay that much".

I think most if not all of the business owners on this forum pay their employees above average but people on this forum are not a representative sample of wider society.

Its not the 1960s anymore. Most small businesses in this day and age are struggling operations run by idiots and hence the high failure rates for small businesses. Sure there are some very savvy small business operators who run rings around their larger competitors but if we are talking averages most small business operators should not be in business quite frankly.

I see it sometimes and it's usually someone who has no business owning a business in the first place, someone who should have stayed an employee.
*ahem* restaurant owners
There are a lot more of these idiots then you think there are. And I would say if anything in the majority of professions large corporations on average pay there employees more than small businesses do. Now of course there are individual small businesses that pay there employees extremely well and they are usually thriving companies with forward thinking owners but they are the exception. Also the other part of pa goes to unionization. Typically large corporations are far more likely to have a lot of employees on union contracts than small businesses are.

For example in Australia the larger corporate owned hardware stores and large corporate owned specialty hardware stores typically pay 20% than a mom and pop owned hardware store. In Australia Aldi pays about 20% more than small independent supermarkets. Here somebody who works in a famous hotel such as a Marriot owned hotel, etc typically gets paid at least 10% more than someone working in a small non-descript hotel owned by an independent operator.

Many times in the past when I applied for jobs working at small companies in a position I had substantial experience for when I went to the job interview and mentioned how the pay was significantly less than what large companies (some of which I had worked for) were paying for the same position they replied with the usual b.s. of "we are a small company we can't afford to pay that much".

I think most if not all of the business owners on this forum pay their employees above average but people on this forum are not a representative sample of wider society.

Its not the 1960s anymore. Most small businesses in this day and age are struggling operations run by idiots and hence the high failure rates for small businesses. Sure there are some very savvy small business operators who run rings around their larger competitors but if we are talking averages most small business operators should not be in business quite frankly.
It never fails to astonish me how incompetent people can be. I mean, isn't it common sense that money talks? The more you pay your workers, the more you can expect from them. Even for me, if I hire people on Upwork I tend to pay much, much more than others, and I expect quality work because of it.

There are also greater relative costs that small businesses have. Once cultures gave away, and that includes the traditional living and loyalty from the old versions countries used to be, it became possible since that all happened side by side with the same "culture" of big government. In many ways the story becomes the time old thing seemingly only we realize, which is you have it good, population booms, then by definition quality lowers and greater control by the power brokers arrives, since the collective gets relatively demanding and fairly clueless how the world actually works.

At this point I care less and less, as I've found that people won't listen to you regarding what has happened or is happening. They'll have to adapt regardless, and it seems like only small sections of society come to the understanding most of us have around here, which at least was inspired by a spark that was teachable inside every guy who visited. As I've said in other places, most won't listen due to ego protection and insecurities of various types.

Back