Grocery Stores are becoming unbearable

I recall a Roosh hour specifically about the clown world music played at the grocery stores. Always hitting us with ear screeching, secularized music. Even the "good 80s stuff".
You're probably correct, but I gotta admit that if Bowie and Talking Heads are "good" and not actually good, I'm not sure I want to be "right."

Oh another thing I forgot to complain about in my original post is how most of them have reduced hours. Most seem to close around 8 or 9 and while some may be open as late as 11 or 12, there are no more 24/7 ones available. This isn't unique to grocery stores though. God forbid you get home at midnight from a flight or something, your only choice is gas station food, not even drugstores are open 24/7 anymore. Another poster alluded to this, it's just a part of a general trend in customer-facing industries, they know they can get away with poorer service and continue to screw over the customer without effecting their bottom lines.

For years I've been making a point of using real person cashiers. Once I had one ask me why I wasn't using the self check out, I replied 'because it puts you out of a job'. She wasn't able to understand this basic fact
🤦‍♂️

Swiss supermarkets aren't so bad. And they often play unexpectedly good music.

Most low or even mid level workers at companies do not care at all about the companies profitability. It's especially frustrating when doing any sort of B2B sales/marketing, unless you speak with the execs directly, any first point of contact you have with entry level employees is going to be met with pure apathy, since revenue-sharing is almost unheard of in this day and age, there's zero reason for them to care. In fact, many people might secretly hope the business fails, I certainly have had that mindset working at miserable places such as insurance companies.

How old are you guys? I'm in my fifties and I find myself tapping my toes to the music they play in groceries stores a lot of the time, only annoyed when a song gets interrupted by an announcement for cleanup on aisle 4 or something like that. I think I got both David Bowie and Talking Heads on the my last trip, the kind of stuff I listened to in high school, and both were "deep cuts," not just "Let's Dance" and "Burning Down the House" (not that those aren't good songs too).

Sometimes they go even older, into pure Boomer territory like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd which, to be honest, I also like.

It's a reminder that I'm getting pretty old, but not much I can do about that other than lift weights and try to cook most of my food myself.
I'm in my 30s, and admittedly I can't stand most 80s and 70s music, or 90s and 00s music for that matter, so maybe I'm not qualified to be stating these sort of opinions. I do love Pink Floyd, though I can't recall ever hearing them in a grocery store.

Last edited:
One of my college professors' favorite talking points was that the obesity epidemic in "underprivileged" neighborhoods was due to the lack of quality supermarket chains, turning them into "food deserts." It was always kind of funny how the upscale (exorbitantly priced) supermarket chains like pre-Amazon Whole Foods (nowadays it would be something like Los Angeles' Erewhon) paid lip service to that idea but never really put their money where their mouth is: they are invariably located in liberal, affluent, predominantly white (or Asian) locales.

Actually, that's not entirely true. Whole Foods tried to serve less affluent cities with its slightly more affordable "Whole Foods 365" stores. They closed them down after 2 years. I wonder why?

My dad always wanted to be a farmer, long story short he bought 30 acres not far from home. The food that is produced from the vegetables out of his garden tastes so much better than the same food with veggies from the grocery store the difference is staggering. Right now everything my mom and sister make is the best you've ever tasted, even food I don't normally care for. Now if only we still had real butchers around.....

I've noticed the same thing where I live - the whole experience is getting worse while the prices just keep getting higher.

There are now security guards in the grocery store waiting by the exit. I've been there multiple times where someone gets reported for theft. Recently while I was shopping there was a young black guy on a mobility scooter casually stealing stuff from the shelves. I could overhear the workers at the store reporting him and how he was wasn't really disabled (despite the scooter).

They let him ride right out of the store so I assume their policy is not to stop them and simply report it to the police? At any rate, it's become a lot more regular occurrence and now things as mundane as shampoo and other toiletries are locked up in clear acrylic boxes and you have to ask the staff to in order get it off the shelves.

Despite having nine checkout aisles there is generally only one open and staffed at any time. Most of the checkout is now done at the self checkout, but they instituted limits on how many groceries you can bring into the self-checkout because of rampant theft.

It's the same deal at my local Home Depot. Almost every power tool is now locked up behind cages. If you want to get something you have to ask an employee to unlock it and get it for you and they will bring it to the register. Even things like Romex are locked up. A cop car generally sits outside the main entrance/exit. It feels third worldish and I've lived here long enough to see the decline really accelerate these last couple of years.

I've noticed the same thing where I live - the whole experience is getting worse while the prices just keep getting higher.

There are now security guards in the grocery store waiting by the exit. I've been there multiple times where someone gets reported for theft. Recently while I was shopping there was a young black guy on a mobility scooter casually stealing stuff from the shelves. I could overhear the workers at the store reporting him and how he was wasn't really disabled (despite the scooter).

They let him ride right out of the store so I assume their policy is not to stop them and simply report it to the police? At any rate, it's become a lot more regular occurrence and now things as mundane as shampoo and other toiletries are locked up in clear acrylic boxes and you have to ask the staff to in order get it off the shelves.

Despite having nine checkout aisles there is generally only one open and staffed at any time. Most of the checkout is now done at the self checkout, but they instituted limits on how many groceries you can bring into the self-checkout because of rampant theft.

It's the same deal at my local Home Depot. Almost every power tool is now locked up behind cages. If you want to get something you have to ask an employee to unlock it and get it for you and they will bring it to the register. Even things like Romex are locked up. A cop car generally sits outside the main entrance/exit. It feels third worldish and I've lived here long enough to see the decline really accelerate these last couple of years.

Damn brother, any specific reason why you still live in this area?

Damn brother, any specific reason why you still live in this area?

I have some personal family obligations keeping me in the area. It's certainly not my ideal place to live and I look forward to the day when I see this place in my rearview mirror for the last time.

One of my college professors' favorite talking points was that the obesity epidemic in "underprivileged" neighborhoods was due to the lack of quality supermarket chains, turning them into "food deserts." It was always kind of funny how the upscale (exorbitantly priced) supermarket chains like pre-Amazon Whole Foods (nowadays it would be something like Los Angeles' Erewhon) paid lip service to that idea but never really put their money where their mouth is: they are invariably located in liberal, affluent, predominantly white (or Asian) locales.

Actually, that's not entirely true. Whole Foods tried to serve less affluent cities with its slightly more affordable "Whole Foods 365" stores. They closed them down after 2 years. I wonder why?
There is no difference between low and high quality grocers except branding. Health food stores just give the illusion of healthy foods. I find healthier options at Aldi than trader joe's or whole foods. You can even find decent food at Walmart. "Underprivleged" people are just ignorant of nutrition.

There is no difference between low and high quality supermarket chains except branding. Health food stores just give the illusion of healthy foods. I find healthier options at Aldi than trader joe's or whole foods. You can even find decent food at Walmart.

For packaged foods yes I agree but not for produce. My rabbit was only fed organics and when for some whatever reason I had to get him organic from certain chains he wouldn't eat them, he actually would get pissed and dump his food bowl out in protest. He was fun I miss that big bunny...

For packaged foods yes I agree but not for produce. My rabbit was only fed organics and when for some whatever reason I had to get him organic from certain chains he wouldn't eat them, he actually would get pissed and dump his food bowl out in protest. He was fun I miss that big bunny...
Produce is still far healthier than anything processed and poor people rarely buy produce, organic or not. They're the types who think that "lean pockets" are healthier options than hot pockets.

Produce is still far healthier than anything processed and poor people rarely buy produce, organic or not. They're the types who think that "lean pockets" are healthier options than hot pockets.

Of course but it's still different quality from different venues

I was given some home grown heirloom tomatoes once, the big weird lumpy ones, and it was one of the best things I'd ever tasted. I ate it plain with a knife and fork. Never had a tomato that good before or since.

Grow some onions in your backyard, really easy to do ours sprouted up from tossing onion scraps along the tree line on the farm after bbq's. They taste like cucumbers fresh and natural out of the ground it's crazy....

I recall a Roosh hour specifically about the clown world music played at the grocery stores. Always hitting us with ear screeching, secularized music. Even the "good 80s stuff".
I'm sorry I missed that one. If you know where it might be online, drop a link.

For vegetables, I buy frozen ones. They’re fresh and practical (microwave for 2min).
Meats I choose the cuts I like. Put in my freezer. If I have patience, I open them and put in separate ziplock bags so it’s easier to get a portion to thaw.

I barely eat processed food. I don’t go to those isles. The candy I buy is chewing gum (no sugar).
No soda. I buy La Croix (sparkling water) no calories, no sugar, no sweeteners, nothing. Good way to keep a girlfriend happy and in shape.

Pasta, I buy the whole wheat. Parmesan cheese, shrimps and olive oil. Also garlic and onion powder. That’s the least “healthy” food I eat. That’s like a dollar per person portion.

Cooking is also low effort. Frozen veggies in the microwave and beef inside the air fryer. You can use chicken or pork (ribeye) if you want to save money.
Salmon is also practical.
Ribs you put inside aluminum foil and throw inside the oven to make sure it cooks until it’s easy to separate bones from meat using your fingers.

I like to keep things practical when cooking.

I don’t mind paying for something I can’t do at home, like a nice pizza. It’s not expensive so I rather pay somebody instead of doing it myself.
Ditch the microwave and the foil its not good, microwave destroys the food, foil leaches aluminium into your food, use your air fryer instead of a microwave

In South Africa I wish we had self service grocery stores, the staff at grocery stores are usually lazy fat black woman, they work really slow and they have an attitude, in the small towns its better though, most of the time I dont even buy the bread over the counters because theres never anyone around to help you or they are too busy talking loud to each other or ignoring you I just take the bread thats already marked with a price.

We have lots of shop lifting in South Africa so I doubt we would have self service tills anytime soon, our labor is also still quite affordable because half the country lives in squatter camps and they dont have high expenses like paying rent, electricity, water, school etc so they can survive off the current low wages, for example you can pay a maid or gardener $10 for an entire days work.

I can fully understand why business owners are choosing to run their businesses without staff, staff can be bad, rude, unreliable, they dont come to work, you have to parent them like babies etc etc, with a machine you dont have these problems, I dont mind going to the grocery store though its usually quitr pleasant its funny how we uave different problems in different countries.

Back