• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

carnivore diet discussion thread

In order to clean, you just wipe with a paper towel, or if there's anything stuck on, or excessive grease from cooking, you put some coarse kosher salt in the pan to scrub with the paper towel.
Could you please expand on why this is your recommended technique for "cleaning" the pans?

Right now there are two pans in my oven on full with coconut oil in them stinking out the kitchen, will open the windows before my eyes start watering. Have done the background reading. Will post some links but summarise the main points.
Bacteria can't multiply in oil or in dried food so no risk.

The coating is polymerised oil. Cast iron cookware has been used for thousands of years. Your dietary iron intake increases if you cook in cast iron. For some people that is good as they are iron deficient, while for some they can eventually get an overdose. Cooking meat in cast iron adds minimal iron to your diet whereas cooking for example pasta sauce adds more. There is an interesting diagram here which shows you how much extra iron you get by cooking various foods in cast iron.

The coating is no longer oil but polymerised oil. If you have a good coating you will take in less iron by cooking in it.

These are the instructions to do it
Gees, lucky I don't have a smoke alarm here it's totally smoked out.

I have had an "enameled" cast iron saucepan before and in my childhood there was a small enameled cast iron frying pan. The argumentation that you are cooking on what people cooked on for thousands of years is a good one for me to keep using it, in line with Roosh's before 1900 rule for foods and seed oils. It is probably worth being disciplined and only use the bare iron for meat, eggs, fish but use something else for more tomato based things. At one point Teflon was supposed to give you cancer. I don't think it does anymore, unless you perhaps really overheat it. With bare cast iron there is no teflon to damage or enamel to chip and it is probably more non-stick than bare stainless steel when you do that seasoning right, and this is the first time I attempted to actually season it (rather than doing the opposite as mentioned elsewhere)

One of the articles does raise the point that aluminium conducts heat much better so cast iron can have hotspots, but cast iron holds more heat which is important for cooking meat properly. You should preheat it for a long time so it has uniform temperature everywhere. On that note my large one is too big for the burner, explains the issues I had the other day with stuff cooking only on one end of it.

Great post.

Yeah, the oil polymerizes and forms a thin film on the surface of the pan. One thing to look out for: when you're done seasoning, make sure to immediately wipe the excess oil out before it cools. You basically want a thin layer on the metal. Once it's done, it should be smooth and slick, and if you put some water in the pan it should bead up. If there's any gumminess or stickiness, it means there was too much oil when it was in the oven or it wasn't wiped out enough.

I have had an "enameled" cast iron saucepan before and in my childhood there was a small enameled cast iron frying pan. The argumentation that you are cooking on what people cooked on for thousands of years is a good one for me to keep using it, in line with Roosh's before 1900 rule for foods and seed oils. It is probably worth being disciplined and only use the bare iron for meat, eggs, fish but use something else for more tomato based things.

RE iron, practically speaking you shouldn't cook acidic foods (tomato sauce, vinegar) for a long period of time in cast iron anyway, because it will strip the seasoning off. If you ever want to take the seasoning off and start fresh, that's actually a good way to do it - simmer some white vinegar in the pan for about an hour. The seasoning will fall right off.

At one point Teflon was supposed to give you cancer. I don't think it does anymore, unless you perhaps really overheat it. With bare cast iron there is no teflon to damage or enamel to chip and it is probably more non-stick than bare stainless steel when you do that seasoning right, and this is the first time I attempted to actually season it (rather than doing the opposite as mentioned elsewhere)

AFAIK no one really knows how much of a problem Teflon pans are, but Teflon/PFAS is a nasty chemical and has been linked to immune problems, endocrine disruption, and so on. I feel better avoiding Teflon pans, especially if they're scratched.

Could you please expand on why this is your recommended technique for "cleaning" the pans?

@stadtaffe covered it in one of the links above, but basically the seasoning is slick enough that water and a quick wipe are usually enough to remove any residue in the pan. Soap or scotchbrite pads can damage the seasoning over time. If you have stuck on food bits from a steak, the coarse salt is just enough of an abrasive to remove it without damaging the seasoning (and has the added benefit of soaking up the grease if you cooked bacon or something).

Once it's done, it should be smooth and slick, and if you put some water in the pan it should bead up. If there's any gumminess or stickiness, it means there was too much oil when it was in the oven or it wasn't wiped out enough.
Actually one of the pans turned out smooth and slick while the other gummy and sticky, the latter being the one I had 'topped up' part way through the process.

If cast iron has been cooked in for thousands of years then this 'seasoning' process is not a modern innovation either, someone must have worked it out a long time ago.

This just may have solved the problems I've had cooking steak right will see how it goes next time round.

There's a bag of coarse salt at the supermarket I never buy as I never need so much but maybe I'll actually get it next time and follow this advice to the letter.

The steak and eggs diet :
Food for thought..
Eat a carb-only meal every fourth day of the steak and eggs diet.

Pasta, baked potatoes, oatmeal, or rice are fair game.
Every 4th day and nothing but steak and eggs for the other days!

I'd probably rather fast than do that, but it's how your body works, some may find that useful.

Would be hard to overeat if just steak and eggs were allowed.

It had crossed my mind to include steak with breakfast but have not gone so far as doing that yet.

^You can have sausage, bacon or ham for breakfast with eggs on that diet, goes better than steak with eggs.

One big tip for this thread: look for used cooking ware at goodwill stores, you will come across older high-quality stuff that is made in the US or Europe and that is of good quality, these items being built to last. Avoid used teflon-coated pots and pans though.

Some items I got from goodwill: stainless steel pans of multiple sizes, steamer 3 piece set, large stockpot and smaller stainless pots. Also found good sets of thicker plates that tend to last while the Ikea ones will chip and break a lot more.

I think I've posted this before but I eat 6 eggs every day and feel amazing. Get boners like I'm 18 too. Eggs and red meat are life. My freezer is full of like 40 pounds of steak and ground beef. Buy when it's on sale and freeze it.

Back