Bitcoin and Crypto Thread

All transactions are public. They could see where your Bitcoin went and also blacklist that address. No one would want to risk transacting with someone who was blacklisted.

This is why the whole argument about Bitcoin being an asset out of reach of government persecution is totally nonsensical. Anyone making that claim is either ignorant of the public nature of the Bitcoin blockchain, or is woefully insouciant in regard to the power and reach of a sufficiently motivated government. It is particularly easy for governments to crack down on anything related to banking, finance and currency, as they already have vast control and influence in these areas. It's true that governments cannot kill Bitcoin outright, but they could make it so prohibitively difficult and essentially pointless to use that there would be no reason to own it. And they could do this overnight if they so chose.

Honestly, at this point I believe that the only reason Bitcoin is still allowed to exist (especially given the massive fraud taking place with Tether, and the entire nature of USD stablecoins, which are blatant tools for tax evasion and money laundering) is because the U.S. government itself (and perhaps other governments) are using it to move money around off the books for various shady purposes (i.e. Ukraine payoffs, laundering CIA drug money, funding various black ops outside of congressional oversight).

As far as I know, no wallets look or care about “blacklisted addresses”. Maybe exchanges could do this, but individuals don’t care…just do a coin join and be done with it. Iran is still mining bitcoin, they haven’t been “blacklisted”

All transactions are public. They could see where your Bitcoin went and also blacklist that address. No one would want to risk transacting with someone who was blacklisted.

This is why the whole argument about Bitcoin being an asset out of reach of government persecution is totally nonsensical. Anyone making that claim is either ignorant of the public nature of the Bitcoin blockchain, or is woefully insouciant in regard to the power and reach of a sufficiently motivated government. It is particularly easy for governments to crack down on anything related to banking, finance and currency, as they already have vast control and influence in these areas. It's true that governments cannot kill Bitcoin outright, but they could make it so prohibitively difficult and essentially pointless to use that there would be no reason to own it. And they could do this overnight if they so chose.
Yeah, but, they haven't. Now it exists in ETFs so the Blackrock, Fidelity, etc ETFs would all have to be killed. It'd be weird to roll that back now. Has something like that ever happened?
Honestly, at this point I believe that the only reason Bitcoin is still allowed to exist (especially given the massive fraud taking place with Tether, and the entire nature of USD stablecoins, which are blatant tools for tax evasion and money laundering) is because the U.S. government itself (and perhaps other governments) are using it to move money around off the books for various shady purposes (i.e. Ukraine payoffs, laundering CIA drug money, funding various black ops outside of congressional oversight).
So if all transactions are public, why would they do all their shady stuff with Bitcoin?

If certain utxos are blacklisted...the ETFs are now blacklisted, because bitcoiners were sending coinjoined utxos to all of the ETF wallets .most of them some form of 6969 sats.

Yeah, but, they haven't. Now it exists in ETFs so the Blackrock, Fidelity, etc ETFs would all have to be killed. It'd be weird to roll that back now. Has something like that ever happened?
Blackrock, Fidelity other financial companies do not themselves have legal ownership/claim to the Bitcoin in their Bitcoin ETFs, the people who buy them do. There is a really bizarre and inexcusable misunderstanding of this basic principle, which leads to the retarded conspiracies about "BlackRock, Vanguard and Fidelity owning every company in the world!" No, they don't own the world - they just control mutual funds and ETFs that millions of people own, and those are the people who have actual legal claim over the assets. In other words, it wouldn't matter to anyone besides Bitcoin owners if the Bitcoin ETFs were shut down. The companies running them are just collecting a management fee, they don't care about the underlying asset or its price. The Bitcoin ETFs only came into existence because the financial companies figured they might as well cash in on the demand and make money from it.
So if all transactions are public, why would they do all their shady stuff with Bitcoin?
It's only an issue if the addresses can be tied to a specific person or entity. If the government wants to be shady with Bitcoin, they easily can be. They're not exactly going to investigate themselves for money laundering.

No, they don't own the world
No intelligent person is making the claim that Blackrock et al own the world. The claim usually being made is that they control the world (as opposed to own it) because they usually wield the voting rights of the assets under their custody and use these voting rights to pressure companies to act the way they want them to.

Also asset managers like Blackrock have an inherent incentive to be in favour of rising asset prices because they usually charge a percentage based fee. Therefore if Blackrock manages a Bitcoin ETF and the price of Bitcoin doubles then the funds under management of the ETF also double (assuming there aren't net withdrawals) and thus the fees that Blackrock charge in dollar terms also double. Would Blackrock rather collect 0.25% of $200 billion or 0.25% of $400 billion? So yes they do indeed care about the price of the assets they manage. Because there are two factors that determine the level of assets in a fund, one is the level of net inflows/outflows and the second is the changes in asset prices.

This is why the whole argument about Bitcoin being an asset out of reach of government persecution is totally nonsensical.

All transactions go to the ledger but you can use mixers to maintain anonymity. Then use a P2P exchange like Bisq to sell your Bitcoin. I used LocalBitcoins in 2012 up to 2016. Later Bisq. I never had an account in exchanges (to avoid KYC).

Liquidity could be a problem with big amounts.

The actual problem is not being blacklisted (Bitcoin is fungible) but the judge sending you to jail until you "unfreeze" your Bitcoins. Just like people who thought sending money abroad could escape paying for divorce. Judge will send you to jail until the debt is paid. Most men will pay anything to avoid jail time. It is better to be free and chase money than having money in a bank (or Bitcoin in your mind) but no way to spend it.

So there is only one problem in the world that needs solving? Everything else can be ignored?

Yes, that is my argument.

Government power, endless wars, censorship, destroyed family unit, career woman diversity cat ladies, clown world in general…all stems from the government’s ability to counterfeit money. Take that away, and we have a new renaissance.

If you have a splinter in your finger, but you are trapped inside a burning house, the best move is to jump out the window…then look for some tweezers.

The actual problem is not being blacklisted (Bitcoin is fungible) but the judge sending you to jail until you "unfreeze" your Bitcoins. Just like people who thought sending money abroad could escape paying for divorce. Judge will send you to jail until the debt is paid. Most men will pay anything to avoid jail time. It is better to be free and chase money than having money in a bank (or Bitcoin in your mind) but no way to spend it.

Try to convince her to become White House chef?
IMG_0828.jpeg

Blackrock, Fidelity other financial companies do not themselves have legal ownership/claim to the Bitcoin in their Bitcoin ETFs, the people who buy them do. There is a really bizarre and inexcusable misunderstanding of this basic principle, which leads to the retarded conspiracies about "BlackRock, Vanguard and Fidelity owning every company in the world!" No, they don't own the world - they just control mutual funds and ETFs that millions of people own, and those are the people who have actual legal claim over the assets. In other words, it wouldn't matter to anyone besides Bitcoin owners if the Bitcoin ETFs were shut down. The companies running them are just collecting a management fee, they don't care about the underlying asset or its price. The Bitcoin ETFs only came into existence because the financial companies figured they might as well cash in on the demand and make money from it.
As @Australia Sucks pointed out, they wield a lot of power through voting rights. Yes, it's commonly misunderstood.

My question still stands: have ETFs like this ever been ended/closed? How does that even work?
It's only an issue if the addresses can be tied to a specific person or entity. If the government wants to be shady with Bitcoin, they easily can be. They're not exactly going to investigate themselves for money laundering.
So then why would they use bitcoin for anything if they can just do it with dollars?

Wouldn't private citizens or entities be able to trace shady gov't activity and at least publicize it? It'd make for quite the headline.

They do have legal ownership of the Bitcoin. The same as with stocks: they own the legal title to those shares. When you buy an ETF, or shares of Apple from Fidelity, you are a beneficial owner, ie you are entitled to the benefits of owning those shares (except voting hahaha), but you do not own the title and are not the legal owner.

Similar to a banking relationship. If you deposit $100k into a savings acct, (in most countries), you are no longer the legal owner of the money. You are a creditor to the bank - it is now the bank’s money (ask the people of Iceland or Cyprus about that.)

Especially with bitcoin: whomever holds the private key, is the real owner of the bitcoin.

That depends if they know you own the Bitcoin or not. If they know you own the bitcoin they can threaten you with jail time if you refuse to hand over the Bitcoin.
Yes, there is an inescapable reality that is part of being a person in the physical/material world that will always make someone, in some capacity, the target of a "wrench attack." It's the risk of having people in your life at all, and without relationships of some variety, life is meaningless and worthless - it's just how things are.
Bitcoin is just a representation of the real wealth produced by society, if there is no wealth then Bitcoin is worthless.
Yes, but I'm here to also point out that wealth is promoted by BTC because people will work to create more and more when they know their labor is secured - just like private property - not to be taken away by another at will, or debased over time by things like fiat producing central planners.
They can simply ensure that your address is blacklisted from every exchange in perpetuity.
The God-State complex is back!
or is woefully insouciant in regard to the power and reach of a sufficiently motivated government.
and there we have it!

Scorpion does not understand game theory. Part of it is that there might be casualties along the way before everyone recognizes what BTC is, or putting it another way, is forced to understand what it is (which will happen, that's what game theory is). He has such a normalcy/recency bias that it dampens imagination and prediction all at the same time, and stifles the mind due to its fear.

Just like there is price discovery and BTC's value will keep increasing (or put another way everything will deflate in its BTC "price"), there will be increased pressure on adopting BTC in every capacity because everyone will of course want to hold value in something that is the better money, as Chance has stated ad nauseum. Over the long term, it doesn't matter what governments do - even if they do target certain people, they'll be admitting that BTC is better! There's always a cost to get to the other side. You don't think that other countries are worried the US might lash out as they continue to lose status as the world's "superpower"? Same idea. But the US and its fiat will fall, it is a certainty.

If the government is able to successfully tie you to your Bitcoin wallet address, it doesn't matter if you withhold your pass phrase/keys from them. They can simply ensure that your address is blacklisted from every exchange in perpetuity. In that case, yes, your Bitcoin will sit safely in your wallet forever - but you will be unable to access or exchange it for any other currency. It's basically like if you had a stash of millions of dollars of cash and gold, and instead of allowing the government to confiscate it, you stuffed it all in a safe and dumped it in the middle of the ocean. Did you successfully prevent the government from stealing your assets? Sure. But in the process you can't access them, either. I wouldn't exactly call that a win. This is also a good time to point out that all Bitcoin transactions are public by design. There is zero privacy on the Bitcoin network, and every single transaction that's ever been made on the Bitcoin blockchain is publicly available and can be easily tracked by sufficiently interested parties (i.e. the government).
I could probably still make withdraws at atms around the world the government isnt in control on that, I could still transfer it to other bitcoin users government cant stop that either, I could simply move to another country and use my bitcoin, I heard Portugal is a crypto currency haven, Im not a criminal I have a wife and kids i dont want to live a john mcaffe life but if I get pushed i could, or I could become monk and donate all my bitcoin to the church all over the world

So the guy who started bitcoin is known by the name Satoshi, yet we dont know what he looks like, where he lives or if he is still alive, yet his account is public, get where Im going with this? Satoshi has billions worth of bitcoin in his account and its all still there safe and sound

Yes, there is an inescapable reality that is part of being a person in the physical/material world that will always make someone, in some capacity, the target of a "wrench attack." It's the risk of having people in your life at all, and without relationships of some variety, life is meaningless and worthless - it's just how things are.

Yes, but I'm here to also point out that wealth is promoted by BTC because people will work to create more and more when they know their labor is secured - just like private property - not to be taken away by another at will, or debased over time by things like fiat producing central planners.

The God-State complex is back!

and there we have it!

Scorpion does not understand game theory. Part of it is that there might be casualties along the way before everyone recognizes what BTC is, or putting it another way, is forced to understand what it is (which will happen, that's what game theory is). He has such a normalcy/recency bias that it dampens imagination and prediction all at the same time, and stifles the mind due to its fear.

Just like there is price discovery and BTC's value will keep increasing (or put another way everything will deflate in its BTC "price"), there will be increased pressure on adopting BTC in every capacity because everyone will of course want to hold value in something that is the better money, as Chance has stated ad nauseum. Over the long term, it doesn't matter what governments do - even if they do target certain people, they'll be admitting that BTC is better! There's always a cost to get to the other side. You don't think that other countries are worried the US might lash out as they continue to lose status as the world's "superpower"? Same idea. But the US and its fiat will fall, it is a certainty.
Do you think its possible that governments who are enemies with each other, could use bitcoin against each others economies?

Do you think its possible that governments who are enemies with each other, could use bitcoin against each others economies?

400 pages? Sumarize
I read your post and was going to type, go read Softwar by Jason Lowery, then I scrolled down and instantly saw chance's link to Softwar, of course.

Think About It GIF by Identity

Back