• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

Wrist watches thread

I have 3 vintage breitlings with leather straps and one even with a nylon strap that I use for a casual watch. I have a very old Rolex Marconi that is a little formal and actually with it's original leather strap it looks pretty cool. I also have a submariner that I put a rubber strap on so it can be kinda used as a casual watch as well which my friends always think I'm crazy for.

I don't know I just hate the big clunky gaudy metal bands, whenever I see a man wearing casual clothes with some big shiny metal band which it just looks off to me. But I do feel like I should pick up a Daytona or something and leave the metal band on it just to wear with suits, don't want to deal with swapping out bands any time I wear a suit.

I have 3 vintage breitlings with leather straps and one even with a nylon strap that I use for a casual watch. I have a very old Rolex Marconi that is a little formal and actually with it's original leather strap it looks pretty cool. I also have a submariner that I put a rubber strap on so it can be kinda used as a casual watch as well which my friends always think I'm crazy for.

I don't know I just hate the big clunky gaudy metal bands, whenever I see a man wearing casual clothes with some big shiny metal band which it just looks off to me. But I do feel like I should pick up a Daytona or something and leave the metal band on it just to wear with suits, don't want to deal with swapping out bands any time I wear a suit.

That's funny as I feel the same, I always put nato straps on mine which also is a much better fit for everyday use (swimming hiking etc) and put the metal band on for formal occasions.

That's funny as I feel the same, I always put nato straps on mine which also is a much better fit for everyday use (swimming hiking etc) and put the metal band on for formal occasions.

Happy someone else does because all my friends make fun of me and my watch guy who I'm way too close with because of the vintage watches cringes whenever I show up with that submariner on a rubber strap.

Funny just talking about this made me go and look at some watches, just bought a Yacht Master off of ebay I saw at a crazy price. 90% probably a fake but I'll just get my money back if that's the case and the guy said it came with the original box and COA so taking a chance on it....

One watch i don't understand is the apple watch...I see them all the time and it just seems like a supreme PITA to charge every night and a monthly fee on top...a real head scratcher.
Yeah I'm really shocked they haven't improved this yet. Mechanical watches have a rotating metal part called a "rotor" that moves and "automatically" winds the watch as you go about your day wearing it, without you ever noticing (hence we use the name "mechanical" for wind up watches and "automatic" for self-winding rotor watches). What I really don't get is why they can't just place a rotor on a smart watch and forgo the charging? But then again I think most bugmen have a dozen different devices that require daily charging that they just cannot live without. I don't use most of those devices like bluetooth headphones / airpods or even a regular smartphone that requires charging every day. I find that tedious.

Anyway, the Huawei GT 3 Pro goes 2 full weeks on a single charge. Their tech is really next level (they also have the #1 smartphone camera in the world for several years now, as rated by the French optics company Dxo). Probably why they were banned in USA.

Speaking of smartwatches, I cringe at using the quirky Aliexpress website, but it is a great place to find some good deals on stuff from China. Sugess is silly name, but it's part of the Seagull brand, which is the most (?only?) reputable Chinese watchmaker. I have this model. Love the look. It's reminiscent of the Tag Heuer Monaco that Steve McQueen used to wear. I didn't order it from Ali, but I just found out Seagull/Sugess has a storefront there:

15320-913cdc.jpg

960x0.jpg

You can find plenty of nice Vostok (Russian), Sugess (Chinese) and even Seiko (Japanese) watches for $100 and up.
As for straps / wristbands, some of the metal ones look nice (think a nice metal bracelet for a woman) but my favorite is the rubber "divers" strap (like the black one above). Soft, smooth, doesn't absorb your sweat, very comfy. Natos are also nice, and infinitely adjustable, but not quite as comfy.

German Damasko makes the fanciest bracelet (metal strap) that I've seen. 770 Euros for this bad boy. Watch sold separately! ( FYI I got a leather band plus metal mesh "Milan" style bracelet for free with my Sugess!)

Yeah I just ordered 3 Vostoks for $110 plus $20 shipping. Most of the Russian vendors (including Vostokinc.com, the cheapest) USA credit cards won’t work.

http://komandirskie.com will accept USDT/Tron network. The cheaper classic Kommanderskie were $34 instead of $25 (vostokinc.com) but still better than eBay where they go for $50-75 and poor selection.

Last edited:
Big fan of Invicta watches. My father in law got me in one. They're typically pretty large faces, but the one he got me fits pretty well.

Some of their models are pretty expense, others to on sale pretty regularly. I've seen some as low as $90 on sale.

Yeah Invicta are very nice especially for the $$. How long have you had it? If it has the Seiko movement, was wondering how long it will run until it needs a service.

I really like Ball, this would have met my needs perfectly but alas, they never produced it and cancelled production. The independent hour/GMT quickset is new to me, I think they modify an ETA movement to achieve that. On my ETA movement, if you change the local time the GMT hand is slaved to the hour hand.

IMG_1182.jpeg

Yeah Invicta are very nice especially for the $$. How long have you had it? If it has the Seiko movement, was wondering how long it will run until it needs a service.
I've had a special edition 15853 model for 3 or 4 years. I love it now but took a little getting used to as it's a very large/heavy watch. I could absolutely use it to backhand a fool.

Only had to change the battery.

My father in law buys a lot of their expensive ones when they go on sale and gifts them.

Some of their watches are super gaudy... But many are nice. They just have large watch faces.

So I broke my silicone strap, after 6 months of daily use, the buckle pulled the spring bar through the holes in the silicone strap, tearing them. I switched to a nato today, hopefully it holds up better.

I was trying to adjust the size of a metal bracket I had by taking out some of the links. It's pretty easy to get those pins stuck when you're trying to push them out. I tried to do it myself since I want to be more handy but looks like I'll just take it to the jeweler and swap it out for another bracket.

I was trying to adjust the size of a metal bracket I had by taking out some of the links. It's pretty easy to get those pins stuck when you're trying to push them out. I tried to do it myself since I want to be more handy but looks like I'll just take it to the jeweler and swap it out for another bracket.
get a link tool

$13 kit on Amazon

Eventronic Watch Repair Kit​

From what I've been hearing, Rolex has taken a hit among the watch enthusiasts community in recent years it that they seem to be concentrating more on promoting the idea that wearing a Rolex gives you a social status boost and less on the craftmanship side of watchmaking. I been hearing stories about how it's difficult to get a Rolex and the snobbery some customers have gotten when they go into a Rolex store and try to get something that isn't one of their lower end models. I'm guessing these stories if true must be part of the campaign to make Rolex seem something exclusive for social status conscious people.
There is a lot of snobbery around watches.

I remember being in an airport (maybe Heathrow) waiting for a flight about 10 yrs ago and wandered into a watch shop there. I was in my 30s, but looked like I was in my late 20s, dressed in my standard travel attire - jeans, hoody and backpack.

So over wanders the 40-50yr old female shop assistant to ask me what I was interested in. I said I was looking for a new daily watch as I wanted to "retire" my current one.

She looked me up and down and said "I dont think we would have anything that would suit you here!"

I looked the counter up and down and said "Your probably right, I dont see anything I would replace this with!" and scooted my sleeve up to show my perfect 20 yr old Tag Aquaracer.

Lets just say her attitude changed very quickly but I out-snobbed her and walked out.

The Tag is still going well, but has been retired and replaced with an Omega Seamaster as my daily watch.

I have a Seiko "Commando" for daily wear when I am doing stuff that requires a more robust watch.

The watch I would really really want is this - The Bremont Codebreaker

Other than that, there are a few historical watches I would be interested in, like those made from old Spitfire parts https://zerowest.watch/watches/?v=79cba1185463

There is a lot of snobbery around watches.

I remember being in an airport (maybe Heathrow) waiting for a flight about 10 yrs ago and wandered into a watch shop there. I was in my 30s, but looked like I was in my late 20s, dressed in my standard travel attire - jeans, hoody and backpack.

So over wanders the 40-50yr old female shop assistant to ask me what I was interested in. I said I was looking for a new daily watch as I wanted to "retire" my current one.

She looked me up and down and said "I dont think we would have anything that would suit you here!"

I looked the counter up and down and said "Your probably right, I dont see anything I would replace this with!" and scooted my sleeve up to show my perfect 20 yr old Tag Aquaracer.

Lets just say her attitude changed very quickly but I out-snobbed her and walked out.

The Tag is still going well, but has been retired and replaced with an Omega Seamaster as my daily watch.

I have a Seiko "Commando" for daily wear when I am doing stuff that requires a more robust watch.

The watch I would really really want is this - The Bremont Codebreaker

Other than that, there are a few historical watches I would be interested in, like those made from old Spitfire parts https://zerowest.watch/watches/?v=79cba1185463
All very high quality... and very beautiful.

I have never had a Rolex, my father had one as a family heirloom, but sadly it was lost. I am turning 35 this year so I am going to buy myself a Rolex, something I can pass on to my youngest son.

Looking at a Oyster Perpetual. Anyone have experiences with these watches?

All very high quality... and very beautiful.

I have never had a Rolex, my father had one as a family heirloom, but sadly it was lost. I am turning 35 this year so I am going to buy myself a Rolex, something I can pass on to my youngest son.

Looking at an Oyster Perpetual. Anyone have experiences with these watches?
I don’t own a Rolex, but if I did, it would be the Oyster perpetual on looks alone.

My order from http://komandirskie.com/ came, about 18 days shipping.
Imagepipe_19.jpg

Last edited:
Chrome is kinda bright but it will be brass patina at some point

Attachments

• Imagepipe_20.jpg
    Imagepipe_20.jpg
    435.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Imagepipe_21.jpg
    Imagepipe_21.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 28
Back