Video Games and Gaming Technology (In A Positive Light)

My steam app tells me I played 4 games last year: hogwarts, red dead 2, new Vegas, and mass effect trilogy.

Hogwarts was new. I picked up disco Elsium and divinity original sin source saga. I do have a snes classic and turbografx classic and reading your posts about roms reminds me it’s possible to add games to the retro systems.

Raspberry pi is another good emulation. system but you can use your pc I think?

Man, I'm hooked on Don't Starve. I'm playing with a mod that re-adds a character that was removed for being "culturally insensitive". British hunter with some quotes about the East India company and all that. Fits very well, but the developers gave up on it.

Amazing game. I took a bit of a break from it a while ago, but I've been getting back to it.
All the mechanics fit in very well. Exploration is always unique due to world generation having "set pieces" and other anomalies. Even after around 500 hours of the game, I'm still finding new stuff. Getting wood and other things feels rewarding with how much good stuff you can craft with it (armor, weapons, guns, etc), not to mention you can farm stuff at the later part of the game, by using seeds and generally planting things near your base. Buildings add a lot of depth of how you survive, like fridges. Even cooking has a lot of depth and strategies, thanks to an elaborate recipe system. Combat can be a bit boring once you get the rhythm of it, but it has some amazing boss fights.

The DLCs are also stunning. Worth every penny, and I don't say this lightly. Reign of Giants gives you double the content of the original game, with a few improvements. Shipwrecked gives you a beach themed completely different world, with a twist on the mechanics such as grass and twigs. Hamlet has pig societies, money, apocalypses, monarchies, plants, etc.
You can also link DLC worlds by crafting items that take you from one DLC to another. This creates farms of the most OP items ever, but never feels too easy or anything.

The adventure mode is also very nice. Really pushes you to have deep thinks and strategies, while having a very nice sub-plot.
Wilson_chess_copy.webp

I just saw that Sony announced that they are remaking a game that they made just like 2 years ago.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad"​

-Shigeru Miyamoto (probably)

Ironically enough, Majora's Mask had a 1 year deadline, and it ended up being one of Nintendo's best games of all time. The remake was made in 3 years, yet feels worse in almost every way.

I just got done playing Death Stranding. Of all of the video games I've played in my life, this one managed to move really deeply.

Non-christian messages of the after life aside, I was fully engrossed in this Japanese post apocalyptic america. Calling it a walking simulator doesn't do it justice.

The protagonist played by Norman Reedus (Walking Dead) carries an unborn child around whose purpose is to detect ghosts or BTs. Those BTs are incredibly dangerous and being touched by these things leads to a nuclear sized explosion.

After having a premature child myself, seeing what is essentially a premie cry and act uncomfortable around these ghosts made me out the game in such a way that made it much more difficult.

Hideo Kojima did a remarkable job creating an engrossing world. My only complaint would be that it needs a lot more explorable cities. Regardless, the areas you can go to are incredibly well designed and significant areas of the map can be explored.

Highly recommend it. It's a unique and very different type of game and trying to describe it to people doesn't do it justice.

Ironically enough, Majora's Mask had a 1 year deadline, and it ended up being one of Nintendo's best games of all time. The remake was made in 3 years, yet feels worse in almost every way.
It's because videogame development back then was a job exclusively for hypercompetent autists as it involved very mentally intense things like hexadecimal number shenanigans. They had to do crazy amounts of optimization to squeeze every last bit of performance out of extremely weak hardware.

Now videogame development has become comparatively extremely easy in all kinds of ways. As a result, it has become very accessible to women who want easy mode male attention, and to men who got to their 20's having cultivated absolutely no skills or knowledge of any kind, not even real hobbies, and who, after having their entire lives up to that point be a pretty chill ride where nothing was expected from them, are suddenly expected by society to at least have a rough idea of what they're going to do with their lives. Are they going to go to college? Are they going to go to trade school? Well, they have no clue, so they panic, and the only thing they can think of is "well, I enjoy videogames, so I guess I'll do that?"

Last edited:
My gaming over thewinter:

Powerwash Simulator is quite good.

Played a little Heroes of Might and Magic. Nice turn based throwback.

Realized I really miss the old Guitar Hero games so I shelled out a bunch of money to get the setup for 360. Guitar Hero was sneakily one of my all time favs and I noticed early on is so much better for your posture than playing with a normal controller. While there are obviously other factors, I was in my best shape ever during their heyday and that wouldn't have been possible if I were playing a lot slouched with a controller.

Game development very clearly went to garbage, but applying it to Majora's Mask is overthinking it. The teams were almost the same Japanese guys, except older, and with a bit more manpower. The main reason why 3D is the way it is, is because they wanted to nerf the difficulty for modern audiences, with a mix of Aonuma not liking his original creation. The 3 year gap is still an anomaly for what it is, but Majora's Mask in 1 year was an achievement. An asset reuse achievement, but regardless.

Roasties are not even as far as the rabbit hole goes.
1690443849631.webp

The honorary Aryans happen to have the ideal culture and work habits for making masterpiece games and anime.

I've been on a bit of a 'metroidvania' kick lately, I played both Ori games which were fantastic, the story is some kinda Pixar nonsense that I didn't really care for but the gameplay, environments, music, visuals were all top notch. Really felt like classic Nintendo gameplay and presentation.

I've moved onto Hollow Knight now which is fun but I am not that big on the Souls-style elements where you have to make a run to the boss and you lose everything if you die twice. It does do a great job of actually increasing tension and making you feel like you're exploring a dangerous wilderness, but it's a bit of a waste of the player's time and quickly becomes tedious.

I've been on a bit of a 'metroidvania' kick lately, I played both Ori games which were fantastic, the story is some kinda Pixar nonsense that I didn't really care for but the gameplay, environments, music, visuals were all top notch. Really felt like classic Nintendo gameplay and presentation.

I've moved onto Hollow Knight now which is fun but I am not that big on the Souls-style elements where you have to make a run to the boss and you lose everything if you die twice. It does do a great job of actually increasing tension and making you feel like you're exploring a dangerous wilderness, but it's a bit of a waste of the player's time and quickly becomes tedious.
On the first Ori I got to that flood section and it was tedious. I passed it but it really put me off of finishing it.

Hollow Knight is very overrated I think. Bosses are just sponges. Everyone always says “amazing amount of content” but how much is really good? It’s kinda pretty, I guess, but was not really compelling. I only beat it because I had put so much time into it by the time I figured out that others saw things in the game that I didn’t. But when I did beat it I felt like I had really wasted a lot of my time doing so.

Looking back, it really is the game that got me to be much more choosy about what I play.

If you really liked Super Metroid and have ever wondered if there would ever be another game like it, allow me to point you to "A Robot Named Fight". The game feels very much like you're playing a roguelite Super Metroid.

But be warned, the dev has since outed himself as a wokester. There were little traces of that in ARNF, but little enough to be overlooked, and the game itself is good enough for me to recommend in spite of the dev.

If you really liked Super Metroid and have ever wondered if there would ever be another game like it, allow me to point you to "A Robot Named Fight". The game feels very much like you're playing a roguelite Super Metroid.

But be warned, the dev has since outed himself as a wokester. There were little traces of that in ARNF, but little enough to be overlooked, and the game itself is good enough for me to recommend in spite of the dev.

I'll check it out... a good game is a good game, the Celeste developers are apparently hella trannified but danged if that isn't a 10/10 platformer

Very weird experience playing games on a TV again (last time was around 7 years ago).
The very obvious part is that you are getting home from the coal mines and laying down in bed with a device that is more ergonomic than work devices, which is very comfortable. But there is also the games you play with it. Silent Hill and most emulator games feel like different games. I'm running a laptop with an HDMI cable and controller, so there are a few frame dips (I also didn't set up emulator correctly). They feel in place, and this isn't really a cope.

Steam has a lot of work to do, however. It's another layer of abstraction, and tons of games have almost no support for it. Big picture mode has always been kind of bloated, but I'm very optimistic about the support it provides, like community layouts for button mappings.

The TV has its issues, but so do monitors. This one is just old enough to feel good for old games, and not terrible on newer ones.

One of the weirdest and most unorthodox choices in gaming is the Bonnie Springs area in New Vegas. Just north of the game's starting area and with literal "STOP!" signs on the way there. Ignoring the stop signs, you are confronted by a nest of cazadores on the way there, and they're some of the game's tankiest and fastest mobs. It's either fight or flight from there, but you are on level 1 at that point and on the start of the game. The fight is almost impossible, and the flight is extremely difficult as the cazadores are almost 5 times faster than you.

And when you reach Bonnie Springs, you'll notice a Viper gang. No dialogue options with them as they are the most tribal faction. Bad enough, but then there are the leaders. Both of them have OP grenades for if you are spotted far away, and their main weapons are a trail carbine and iron knuckles. Not to mention the tanky armor. Your best bet is just flanking the weaker guys and focusing on the leaders after that.

What makes it genius is putting it on a strategic location towards Vegas, and the loot being good. Any new player will avoid it like the plague, but on an unarmed playthrough, the knuckles are essential loot. The challenge is pretty fun as well, if you're bored of the usual difficulty. Obviously you can't beat it on starting equipment, so you'll either have varying cheating based on the OP gun runner DLC, or you'll gather up a ton of stuff from the usual goodsprings missions. In general I really like that you can approach it in 2 ways thanks to this. On my first playthrough I just blazed through it after getting to level 20, but on an unarmed playthrough I heard the knuckles are essential, and they're worth the visit to it.

Balancing an open world, and especially an RPG with levels, usually has these problems, but New Vegas absolutely nails it.

I have never played a Pokémon game in my life. I have also never smoked crack before in my life... but if I did I imagine it to be a similar experience to that of Palworld. It has the second highest number of concurrent players on steam's history, trailing only to PUBG in its prime. In just over ten days after release its been played by damn near 20 million people. I was one of those people, I kept seeing all the hype, rage, and controversy about the game so I decided I would play it for 20 mins just to see what it was like.... countless hours later I can't seem to stop playing.

diy0jqc7jvfc1.webp

I have never played a Pokémon game in my life. I have also never smoked crack before in my life... but if I did I imagine it to be a similar experience to that of Palworld. It has the second highest number of concurrent players on steam's history, trailing only to PUBG in its prime. In just over ten days after release its been played by damn near 20 million people. I was one of those people, I kept seeing all the hype, rage, and controversy about the game so I decided I would play it for 20 mins just to see what it was like.... countless hours later I can't seem to stop playing.

View attachment 4552

I've been enjoying it a lot too. I've encountered few to no glitches, which is very rare these days even in "fully released" gamed.

My only complaint is the character creator. The female models are dressed by default in a way that appeals to coomers, and the male models look really bad imo. They have very thin necks (built like Jeremy from Phineas and Ferb) and they look like roided twinks with a 9-pack, and they'll keep the 9-pack even if you make them fat.

maxresdefault.jpg

In the end, I decided to just make a strong independent black woman, as fat as the game allowed, and play as her. Gotta say, I find it extremely amusing. It really makes you FEEL like an extremely uppity high-T woman named Tanisha. I'm sure I'll get tired of playing as her some day, but it won't be today.

Last edited:

‘Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League’ Sees Lex Luthor Praise Wonder Woman And The Amazons For Having “Solved” The Problem Of “Toxic Masculinity”​

wwwww.png

From there, Luthor offers glowing praise to the fact that the Amazons have “solved so many of our society’s ills: Broken democracy, lagging technology, toxic masculinity. And thus they flourish through higher learning, mutual aid, and governance without cruelty. They are a a golden society, who deserve to be as secret as they are.”

Article

SWEET BABY INC strikes again
sweet-baby-inc-10-26-2023.jpg

Last edited:
I played a bit of Sea of Thieves (I can see the appeal, maybe will try more another time) and the theme song is beautiful.

Back