Thoughts on suicide

Hospice is a kind of prison, where all inmates are sentenced to death but don't know the time of the execution.
They are guilty of not serving the system anymore and burdening relatives' consciences.
What?

Most hospice patients remain at home to the end, with hospice care workers coming in to help with the care needs of an increasingly incapacitated person. This is often a very brief time, although not always.

Some go into a hospice facility because their care needs are beyond what family members can provide. Yes, they are going there to die, but they're dying anyway. It's more accurate to say they are going there to be taken care of during the dying process. To be cleaned, fed, and receive pain treatment.

Importantly, hospices provide spiritual support as well, with chaplains visiting the patients, and offering support for the family members as well.

It is far superior to the ugly situation of dying in the hospital hooked up to a bunch of tubes and wires.

I say God Bless the hospice workers who provide a needed and compassionate service for people in one of the hardest periods of their lives.

Most hospice patients remain at home to the end...
Yes, but in California they give patients a lethal dose of morphine to have at their bedside in case of an "emergency." After 3 years of fighting ovarian cancer my God Mother took her own life one night with this lethal dose. Thank God. Even though she was an atheist she did not deserve to suffer another month in such pain. She knew her time had come and in her hour of need she had a quick way out without having to involve those she loved (which is true love).
It is far superior to the ugly situation of dying in the hospital hooked up to a bunch of tubes and wires
There is another way, and one in which I have been advocating for. Cash in everything you have now (BTC, 401K, Gold, etc.) and buy real world real estate, tools, generators, trucks, planes, boats, tractors, backhoes, etc. We must begin to think that possibly within the next 20 years all monetary instruments as we know them will be worthless (this includes BTC).

My end of life plan is to literally dig my own grave and to commit "suicide." I feel that I will know when my final days/hours are upon me. And seeing as how I will most likely be living alone as a solo-artist-celebate-alpha-hermit in my 80's I will use my own backhoe to dig my own grave. When I am upon deaths door I will lay in this self-dug grave covered with an electric blanket and a lethal dose of heroin by my side. Instead of suffering and existing till' my "last breath," when I feel I am hours away from death I will inject myself with the heroin and die peacefully. Hopefully someone will have sense enough to cover my grave and not report my death to the authorities. My final wish would be that one day flowers, moss, and grass grow out of my dead, un-embalmed body.

So yes, say what you want about suicide, but one day I will definitely be killing myself.

I think that suicide is normally inexcusable and gravely sinful unless the individual is already extremely sick, infirm or completely unable to care for themselves. And in those cases, I think it is still a sin, but one that God understands and easily forgives due to our human frailties.

But on the other hand, suicide in the absence of such exigent circumstances is inherently a highly irrational act - essentially the most irrational act possible as a human being - meaning that no one who is in their right mind would undertake it to begin with. So those who willingly commit suicide are by definition profoundly disturbed and incapable of thinking clearly, and thus it is questionable what responsibility they will ultimately bear for that sin. That is for God to decide in His perfect knowledge and wisdom.

My profound sympathies go out to all of those who have lost loved ones to suicide.

A distant relative of mine in the early stages of dementia decided to commit suicide by refusing to eat, and continued to make that conscious choice each day until he passed, and I think that is by far the most respectable way to go as far as suicides go. Because if you can't gather the resolve to do it, you don't really want to die, Yes, the mind is clouded by despair and despondency. But it's otherwise clear according to the current frame the person sees the world in, and if someone fails in it, they can re-evaluate and try to understand why they weren't fully committed, and either fully commit, or it can be from where they start to see light in the world, and they choose to live.

When my daughter was dying, I tried making deals with God - take me instead of her - but he wasn't answering the phone. Will that be held against me when I stand before the throne in judgement? I don't know. Forgive me for rambling but I have been drniking tonight.

Not a chance, John 15:13.

What?

Most hospice patients remain at home to the end, with hospice care workers coming in to help with the care needs of an increasingly incapacitated person. This is often a very brief time, although not always.

Some go into a hospice facility because their care needs are beyond what family members can provide. Yes, they are going there to die, but they're dying anyway. It's more accurate to say they are going there to be taken care of during the dying process. To be cleaned, fed, and receive pain treatment.

Importantly, hospices provide spiritual support as well, with chaplains visiting the patients, and offering support for the family members as well.

It is far superior to the ugly situation of dying in the hospital hooked up to a bunch of tubes and wires.

I say God Bless the hospice workers who provide a needed and compassionate service for people in one of the hardest periods of their lives.

If your experience is good, I am glad, maybe somewhere it is as it should be.
In my part of the world, hospice means a state institution and you wouldn't want to end up there...

louise-fletcher-jack-nicholson-one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest.jpg

If your experience is good, I am glad, maybe somewhere it is as it should be.
In my part of the world, hospice means a state institution and you wouldn't want to end up there...

louise-fletcher-jack-nicholson-one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest.jpg
I'm sorry to hear that. At least in my experience in the US, hospice care is a more enlightened approach to handling a person's decline and passing than hospital. It is home based when possible, but even when home care is impossible, hospice is better than a hospital.

If hospice is just a prison for the dying in your country, that's very unfortunate. Hopefully there is some alternative where it is possible to let the person die at home with some kind of visiting support to help with cleaning, pain medication, and other support and assistance.

Back