• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

The weight loss thread

He's got a great YouTube channel too, and highly recommends the carnivore diet. It's hilarious when he makes fun of vegans. I wish I could eat all those ribeyes like him, but I have to look for deals on NY strips, sirloin and tri tip. Ground beef is also great and cheaper. Plus eggs and sardines.

Red meat is God's gift to man. So healthy and tastes so good.

When you weigh yourself, the things which fluctuate over time periods of days or weeks may be fat, muscle and water. Say if anyone disagrees..

Ok over time periods of years or you're still growing maybe bones and organs get heavier.

It makes weight loss frustrating. Bit like a share portfolio you want to go up except you want it to go down. At least with the latter you can easily see inside what shares have gone up or down to sum to the total. I don't think I would trust those scales that claim to break your weight down into its components. There's probably a way to do it but surely not by sending some electric signals into your feet..

There is also a plateau effect, I may have written about it in the other thread - you are doing everything right, weight goes down for a while then stops going down. The theory has it that fat cells replace fat with water until a point when they flush. So this can make the weight stay the same for many days then suddenly go down a lot overnight, generally while sleeping.

The last weeks of fasting I did took me about 5kg of the way to my target weight, can't fast this week though effectively. Too many meetings and was a tennis game today, didn't want to mess it up through fasting induced weakness.

Next week though I will be back onto it. May do a 24 hour fast this week but that does almost nothing for me unfortunately. I read through the diets in this thread and unfortunately conclude that if I'm lucky, I can follow a diet just to just maintain weight once I am down a further 6kg. Nothing but fasting lets me actually lose weight I won't even entertain the idea or try.

The bit that is bothersome though is assessing water - fat - muscle weight. Sure, people trying to make weight for a fight can just lose water before weight-in with dry-fasting or saunas. My strength at the gym does not seem to change that much so I don't know that muscle mass is changing that much either. There was a phase once where I was carrying a lot of boxes while moving house and my deadlift went right up but after that phase ended, it went back to the usual level.

Carbs are famine food
Something I heard on a podcast recently was "if you're not hungry enough to eat a steak you're probably not hungry, just bored"

Were some carb crimes during my refeed days, I still can't forget it. First was, well, ordering spaghetti carbonara and getting a supersized portion at least 2x the size I was expecting :(

Just the sight of it. I'm not as anti-carb as some but that dish takes me back to the dinners the night before long distance running events, like half marathons, or all day hikes where we were covering 40km even 60km. I did not finish it thankfully managed to stop myself. What are these restaurants trying to do to us...

Then, was out socially yesterday.. Everyone was happy and I wasn't going to spoil it by not also joining them for pancakes.

Well, I've got a handle on it before anything spiraled out of control but there are a lot of threats to one's progress in this kind of thing.

Big difference between processed carbs which most people refer to as carbs, and carbs in fruit as an example.

I'm a fan of a carnivore or largely carnivore diet. Right now I'm OMAD and the foundation of my meal is steak, ground beef and/or eggs.

But when you eat pasta, bread, pizza, etc. the issue is the processed ingredients/chemical/preservatives. And if you're largely carnivore then you're wreaking havoc on your body by eating that stuff. That's why you'll often get bloated, carry water weight, feel lethargic, etc.

If I was going for a calorie surplus I'd still keep it clean. Fruit, potatoes, rice. Get a creami machine and make protein ice cream. Milk, protein powder and cocoa powder, three ingredients and you have a pint of pretty clean ice cream with 60 grams protein and sub 20 carbs depending on the milk.

But when you eat pasta, bread, pizza, etc. the issue is the processed ingredients/chemical/preservatives.
Maybe you could enlighten us a bit more on this.

Actually, I was thinking, with my current goals, pasta in particular could disappear from my diet entirely. Not because I'm worried about additives but that the energy density suits someone going for enormous hikes or half marathons or an Italian working in the field all day.

I'm not sure that pasta or pizza from a good establishment has chemicals, preservatives etc. Pasta is naturally 'preserved' that is why it was invented. Does it really need extra.. What I wrote above about spaghetti carbonara has put me off it anyhow.

Thankfully I'm not drawn to pizza but a very rare indulgence at a good place would be okay perhaps. Anyway, won't tempt people in this thread about that.

Bread on the other hand worries me. I have a good sense of smell and can specifically smell preservatives in bread! That goes for flat breads as well, which we've had when I'm with the family. I don't buy them when on my own that would be crazy. But there was a loaf of bread recently when I was travelling with some folks and I detected that smell. It's so obvious to me, ascorbic acid, calcium propionate, potassium benzoate - just looked them up. Not sure which one I'm smelling but it's in there and it shouldn't be in there, and at least one of them smells, or at least I can smell it.

Then they sometimes put seed oils in bread. Why can't it just be flour, yeast, salt, water, perhaps some seeds? I do buy the kind of bread that is fresh and has to be eaten rapidly. My last refeed included an entire small sized loaf over the course of the day. I don't know if bread is evil, but believe it should be once a week or something, and some people have a bread based diet. And not that stuff with the chemicals or seed oils.

I like to have oats in my diet but don't trust myself with the quantities at the moment so will probably not buy another bag of it for the moment after running out. In a few days there will be vegetable soup and the carbs will come from the potatoes and carrots.

There is another 'carb' I don't have in my cupboard at all which is rice. There are the healthier variants like brown rice, maybe the risotto kind. Still somehow I don't think I need it or trust myself with it.
cocoa powder
I also like to have it around. Have the odd hot chocolate and add it to natural yogurt for flavour. Unfortunately it is not free of calories like black coffee so can't have it while fasting. Have also used it with protein powder. My current protein powder is unsweetened, flavourless whey but actually pleasant enough just on its own.

Carnivore is it. I know I've been pushing this in other threads, but it's real. Boost your T, lose visceral fat, feel great. Carbs are famine food.
Since my last 5 day fast, I have been furiously reading diet material. It made me a fair bit lighter and I am still lighter but it also made me sick which made me angry. Just a keto flu thing which got worse. Going away now thankfully. I can't fast while sick, tried but it's demoralising.

Was reading this rather rebellious site to see what you were on about :

I like it how he is a bit anti-chicken and anti-egg. I do eat eggs, make omelets etc but avoid chicken, I really don't like it. Can't see myself starting on beef liver like that, even though there is a video out there of Snake Diet's Cole Robinson eating it raw. On rare occasion I eat fish liver out of a tin but that is also a challenge. Also can't see myself entirely avoiding vegetables but there is good reason to avoid fruit while trying to lose weight. Have had to add citrus back in for the vitamin C. But overall, there are some other good points there, namely that avoiding many of the other things that that carnivore diet involves keeps you away from sugar, additives and seed oils that disturb your system somewhat. Also his suspicion that sugar is worse than red meat for the heart.

Definitely though I want to up my meat consumption. It had dwindled down to one steak a week.

We have a Crusade on meat thread but there is no steak thread or general pro-meat thread to discuss the carnivore diet or meat recipes (yet).

When I was a kid living at home there was plenty of meat throughout the week, also with ex-girlfriends but left to my own devices and forbidding myself fast-food it somehow just dwindled and I need to deliberately up it.

That enormous vegetable soup I cooked and ate to break the fast was miserable in retrospect even if it did contain quality beef stock. Next time I have to break a long fast will be maybe something similar but with a small quantity of small pieces of actual red meat.

I do know some slimming meat dishes you can make in a casserole dish basically meat and cabbage oriented, but then some others that are probably the opposite of slimming such as lamb or beef curry and rice.

So I had 2 steaks in 2 days, today's one was home made, 400 grams, clearly not as enjoyable as the one made by a chef but still good. They know the tricks.

People in these diet threads talk about ground beef which I call mince beef but if you are going to eat that as spaghetti bolognese it will not be diet food anymore. Lasagne even worse, save that for when I'm lighter one day. Also, putting it into taco shells is also going to kill the diet aspect of it. Maybe you could eat it out of lettuce leaves. Not sure what you guys are doing with your ground beef to consume it in a reasonable way while on a weight loss program. I suppose there's meat balls. It never occurs to me to cook that, and I know I'd be drowning them in all manner of exotic sauces. I have had that many misadventures with the scales that I am too scared now to eat it in hamburger form at the moment because of the buns, delicious as it can be with pickles etc.

I'm trying to keep myself away from tins of tuna or other fish - it was okay as a teenager for protein after the gym but should be able to do better now. Always feels a bit like cat food these days.

I did cook sausages once in the last weeks but that was not so wonderful and even that carnivore website discourages that due to nitrates and additives.

I've decided not to buy cheese anymore for now. I know I upset someone in another thread but it is no use for weight loss purposes and I'm not a big fan anyway.

What next though, game meat or goat? It can't just be steak all the time. I will have to get creative. Lamb is probably too high in fat for weight loss aims.

Last edited:
If anyone is looking to buy or upgrade their bathroom scale I can thoroughly recommend the brand 'Salter'

I think it's this one, the 9208 BK3R :

Accuracy is unbelievable. So consistent at 0.1kg.

Maybe they're all like that these days, but when I grew up they were analogue with springs and only went down to 0.5kg. Have also had digital ones which were way less well behaved than this one.

I live an analogue offline life wherever possible but am grateful for the scale. Would be madness to buy some kind of 'online' or 'bluetooth' scale that connected with some kind of app so that all your data could go into the cloud then who knows where. Also would not trust or bother with those scales that claim to measure your fat content. If I really want to know the exact percentage I will go get a Dexa scan or skinfold test.

Was thinking about a more 'engineering' take on what I wrote above :
When you weigh yourself, the things which fluctuate over time periods of days or weeks may be fat, muscle and water.
The technically minded might know about the concept of signals mixing, adding together sine waves or other time series. The main signals mixing are your water content and fat content. Once you have been watching this for a while you become not so freaked out by a lack of drop in weight after a dieting period and not so excited about a sudden low reading on the scale. You come to know which reading reflect water or fat. Anyway it is great to have an accurate scale, not having a 3rd signal being the inaccuracy of the scale, that really messes with your mind.

Absolutely. This type of thing is exactly what I was referring to, and what I'm trying to say is that I think neither the "ice cream" I can get at my workplace cafeteria, or this Oreo shake, are actually real ice cream at all. I don't think milk was involved at any point in the process of making them. It's just corn syrup and shady test tube ingredients, and it just looks like ice cream. Same thing as Oreos, they look like cookies, but they are not, as they contain none of the ingredients that your local baker would use when making real cookies.

Also, I think the "crustaceans" bit in the image you shared might mean that they used bugs to make it. Bugs and crustaceans are very similar creatures anatomically, and probably if you're allergic to one then you're allergic to the other also, so when disclosing allergy information, they'd probably have to check the "crustaceans" box if it contained bugs.

Sounds like your current diet has the right macronutrient ratios. That's great, man!

macro-math-3-keys-to-dialing-in-your-macro-ratios-v2-2-700xh.jpg
I don't know about USA but in Australia the non-chain gelato shops owned by Italians usually have real ice-cream, its not cheap though. Of course its still highish in calories (nothing crazy like 2600 calroies though) but its generally made from proper ingredients.

Here 3 scoops of ice cream from a premium gelato store which sells real ice-cream will usually set you back between $10 and $15 Australian dollars (i.e. around $6.50 - $9.50 USD). Most of these places sell gelato by the tub which works out cheaper per kilogram although still double the price of the more expensive supermarket ice-creams. But in general quality food costs a lot these days.

Although if you want to be really puritanical you could make your own ice-cream. That way you know exactly what is in it.

If you want to lose weight without effort, eat a very large breakfast, a moderate lunch, and a very small snack for dinner.

General rules of thumb. Eat a gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. Less is required if you don't lift or do anything strenuous. Use only animal fats, olive or coconut oil to cook with.

This is assuming that you have a normal sleeping schedule. Frontloading calories works because of how your hormones fluctuate throughout the day ie you are much more likely to overeat and pile on the fat if you eat a large dinner at night. So if you're a night shifter, you are ice skating uphill.

If you want to lose weight without effort, eat a very large breakfast, a moderate lunch, and a very small snack for dinner.

General rules of thumb. Eat a gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. Less is required if you don't lift or do anything strenuous. Use only animal fats, olive or coconut oil to cook with.

This is assuming that you have a normal sleeping schedule. Frontloading calories works because of how your hormones fluctuate throughout the day ie you are much more likely to overeat and pile on the fat if you eat a large dinner at night. So if you're a night shifter, you are ice skating uphill.
Also be sure to get good sleep. Sleep is crucial for weight loss, strength, endurance, preventing dementia, basically all aspects of overall health.

- When you get out of bed, go outside, for a couple of minutes, it's free.
- Try to go to sleep around the same time every night so you stay on a good rythym
- Don't eat too much for dessert/before bed
- Cut off coffee/caffeine by noon
- Stay off screens, including this website, an hour before bedtime

Since my last 5 day fast, I have been furiously reading diet material. It made me a fair bit lighter and I am still lighter but it also made me sick which made me angry. Just a keto flu thing which got worse. Going away now thankfully. I can't fast while sick, tried but it's demoralising.

Was reading this rather rebellious site to see what you were on about :

I like it how he is a bit anti-chicken and anti-egg. I do eat eggs, make omelets etc but avoid chicken, I really don't like it. Can't see myself starting on beef liver like that, even though there is a video out there of Snake Diet's Cole Robinson eating it raw. On rare occasion I eat fish liver out of a tin but that is also a challenge. Also can't see myself entirely avoiding vegetables but there is good reason to avoid fruit while trying to lose weight. Have had to add citrus back in for the vitamin C. But overall, there are some other good points there, namely that avoiding many of the other things that that carnivore diet involves keeps you away from sugar, additives and seed oils that disturb your system somewhat. Also his suspicion that sugar is worse than red meat for the heart.

Definitely though I want to up my meat consumption. It had dwindled down to one steak a week.

We have a Crusade on meat thread but there is no steak thread or general pro-meat thread to discuss the carnivore diet or meat recipes (yet).

When I was a kid living at home there was plenty of meat throughout the week, also with ex-girlfriends but left to my own devices and forbidding myself fast-food it somehow just dwindled and I need to deliberately up it.

That enormous vegetable soup I cooked and ate to break the fast was miserable in retrospect even if it did contain quality beef stock. Next time I have to break a long fast will be maybe something similar but with a small quantity of small pieces of actual red meat.

I do know some slimming meat dishes you can make in a casserole dish basically meat and cabbage oriented, but then some others that are probably the opposite of slimming such as lamb or beef curry and rice.

So I had 2 steaks in 2 days, today's one was home made, 400 grams, clearly not as enjoyable as the one made by a chef but still good. They know the tricks.

People in these diet threads talk about ground beef which I call mince beef but if you are going to eat that as spaghetti bolognese it will not be diet food anymore. Lasagne even worse, save that for when I'm lighter one day. Also, putting it into taco shells is also going to kill the diet aspect of it. Maybe you could eat it out of lettuce leaves. Not sure what you guys are doing with your ground beef to consume it in a reasonable way while on a weight loss program. I suppose there's meat balls. It never occurs to me to cook that, and I know I'd be drowning them in all manner of exotic sauces. I have had that many misadventures with the scales that I am too scared now to eat it in hamburger form at the moment because of the buns, delicious as it can be with pickles etc.

I'm trying to keep myself away from tins of tuna or other fish - it was okay as a teenager for protein after the gym but should be able to do better now. Always feels a bit like cat food these days.

I did cook sausages once in the last weeks but that was not so wonderful and even that carnivore website discourages that due to nitrates and additives.

I've decided not to buy cheese anymore for now. I know I upset someone in another thread but it is no use for weight loss purposes and I'm not a big fan anyway.

What next though, game meat or goat? It can't just be steak all the time. I will have to get creative. Lamb is probably too high in fat for weight loss aims.

Dont bother with organ meats. Every last meat dieter who pushed organ meats quit the all meat diet after a few years. All the ones that are still doing it and have done it for longer than five years, they do it all on muscle meat and fat.

I did the meat diet for six months and never felt the urge to eat organs.

Some meat dieters think that beef is all you need. Eggs, pork, chicken etc are cheaper than beef and if you like them, go for it. You will know if they upset you. After a few months on the all meat diet, I could smell and taste the feedlot on storebought pork.

I got a lot of mileage out of ground beef, steak, chicken wings and drumsticks, bacon, pot roasts, etc. Ribeye always tasted best, followed by 80/20 ground beef and no leaner than that.

Ground beef, I would make patties in the smashburger style, maybe throw some cheese or butter on them when they were done.

As far as steak, that's easy.

Salt both sides and set it on the counter to rest in the amount of time it takes to heat up a carbon steel or cast iron skillet.

Heat up the skillet to 6 out of 10 on your stove dial. Throw a big blob of grease, clarified butter, lard or whatever animal fat on the pan your choice.

A grease lid helps here otherwise you will splatter everywhere. They're like 10 bucks and well worth the investment.

Slap the meat on the pan for 3 minutes a side.

Put it on a plate and let it rest for five and it's done.

Edit - the whole nitrate thing is overblown. It's salt. It's salt from celery. A bunch of overpaid scientists got togethet and pinned the blame on nitrates for health problems by using epidemiology, the kind of fuzzy math where you're like "Population A lives 3 years longer than Population B and B eats on average 1 more egg a week. Ergo, eggs take three years off your life."

Meanwhile the confounding factor is that A has half the obesity rate of B and it wasn't a single 70 calorie egg a week that caused that.

Last edited:
Anyone on here take the bread pill?

With things like carnivore and all that fun stuff floating around bread is often maligned. I notice I lose weight when I don’t drink and eat a balanced diet that includes bread like sourdough and wheat as well as grains like barley.

Why is bread so hated? It’s been fueling humanity for 10,000 years and now it’s supposed to be bad? I’ve never seen anyone get fat on bread and beans. It’s always snacky foods that make people fat. Bread and beans is old school fuel. Tastes good, and if you add a veggie with it you’re good to go. Or am I wrong? would I lose weight quicker if I go carnivore. I’m thinking about trying that after Easter.

Why is bread so hated? It’s been fueling humanity for 10,000 years and now it’s supposed to be bad?
It's the way bread fits into our society now, it's just too ubiquitous.
It does depend on where in the world you live but I've been through most western countries and can say that sandwiches, baguettes, croissants, pitas - other bread based stuff is so prominently for sale and display wherever you look around lunch time, and really at any time of the day.

Bread is just 'moreish' if you have a whole loaf of it sitting around. After a misadventure breaking a 6 day fast the other week I will not buy a loaf of bread again when breaking a fast. I basically ate the whole thing over the course of a day with various savoury toppings. If bread when breaking a fast, will limit myself to 1 - 2 small rolls.

I feel less fearful about cubes of potato in a stew or curry, or sweet potato. Obviously not fries (!) except on a limited and very occasional basis. For whatever reason, I never cook rice or pasta anymore but do eat it at restaurants sometimes. Even corn on the cob is less likely to be overeaten as badly as bread.

Been fuelling humanity for 10,000 years. Since 1900 humanity has become increasingly sedentary. Now even more than then. Industrial revolution, now digital revolution. How much fuelling does humanity really need these days..

If you could just buy say 3 slices at a time, preferably multigrain, wholemeal or some kind of dark bread it would probably be okay, but the sedentary modern age does not need bread in the way that it used to.

With things like carnivore and all that fun stuff floating around bread is often maligned. I notice I lose weight when I don’t drink and eat a balanced diet that includes bread like sourdough and wheat as well as grains like barley.

Why is bread so hated? It’s been fueling humanity for 10,000 years and now it’s supposed to be bad? I’ve never seen anyone get fat on bread and beans. It’s always snacky foods that make people fat. Bread and beans is old school fuel. Tastes good, and if you add a veggie with it you’re good to go. Or am I wrong? would I lose weight quicker if I go carnivore. I’m thinking about trying that after Easter.
One of the reasons why I haven't gone back to carnivore is that I got into baking artisan style breads.

Even something as simple as a baguette with butter just makes my day that much better. If you know what you're doing, it's cheap too.

In Europe they still make bread, and it's good.

Most, not all, of the stuff they make in the US is trash and includes corn syrup and preservatives.

Agriculture was never primarily about health. It was about increasing food supply and food security to fuel population growth. That is why farming societies replaced hunter gatherer societies because they outpopulated them. However if you look at anthropological evidence when agriculture was introduced into human society average height shrunk and the "diseases of civilization" began to proliferate.

All of that being said traditional grain and corn, dairy, etc products were designed in a way to neutralise some of the anti-nutrients naturally found in the product itself. Traditional sourdough bread is properly fermented and has different properties to garbage bread eaten in Western societies. For example the Aztecs nixtamalized their corn:

"Aztec advances (9): nixtamalization of corn Soaking corn in lye made from wood ashes or in a slaked lime solution (both of which are alkaline) removed the hulls and made the corn more easily ground. It also made the protein and niacin contained in corn more readily absorbed by the body".

And for example many central asian and middle eastern countries traditionally drank fermented yoghurt drinks as opposed to drinking milk. The fermentation makes it more gut friendly and less inflammatory for the average person.

One of my local pizza shops which makes delcious pizza is owned by Italians. They ferment/proof their dough on all of their pizzas for 72 hours. That pretty much destroys the gluten. Although they only produce soft style pizzas rather than crispy (bread won't be crispy if its fermented that long).

Therefore modern bread, corn, dairy etc for all the reasons noted above is a lot more inflamtory than the way it as traditionally produced and consumed, That's why in the modern world its just easier for people to just move to meat and vegetables to improve their health (or even carnivore),

Also traditional cuisnes produced meals that were designed to be balanced with certain things counteracting the negative affects of other items. For example Iranians tradtionally having pickled and fermented side dishes and fresh herbs with their kebabs and other cooked meats to counteract the greasiness of the meat and the carcinogenic effects of heavily cooking your meat, etc. Using sumac to spice the meat (helps with cholesterol), etc Many middle eastern countries having cinnamon in their tea that they eat with sweets as the cinnamon helps counteract the negative effects of sugar spikes from sweets. Chinese having green tea after heavy meals to help digestion, etc.

Tradtional meals were carefully thought out and evolved over long periods of time and were designed as a balanced food system. A lot of factors went into it. Seasonal and available produce was a factor, longevity/perishability, taste, health, etc were all considered. Modern food doesn't have a coherent system.

Last edited:
Agriculture was never primarily about health. It was about increasing food supply and food security to fuel population growth. That is why farming societies replaced hunter gatherer societies because they outpopulated them. However if you look at anthropological evidence when agriculture was introduced into human society average height shrunk and the "diseases of civilization" began to proliferate.

All of that being said traditional grain and corn, dairy, etc products were designed in a way to neutralise some of the anti-nutrients naturally found in the product itself. Traditional sourdough bread is properly fermented and has different properties to garbage bread eaten in Western societies. For example the Aztecs nixtamalized their corn:

"Aztec advances (9): nixtamalization of corn Soaking corn in lye made from wood ashes or in a slaked lime solution (both of which are alkaline) removed the hulls and made the corn more easily ground. It also made the protein and niacin contained in corn more readily absorbed by the body".

And for example many central asian and middle eastern countries traditionally drank fermented yoghurt drinks as opposed to drinking milk. The fermentation makes it more gut friendly and less inflammatory for the average person.

One of my local pizza shops which makes delcious pizza is owned by Italians. They ferment/proof their dough on all of their pizzas for 72 hours. That pretty much destroys the gluten. Although they only produce soft style pizzas rather than crispy (bread won't be crispy if its fermented that long).

Therefore modern bread, corn, dairy etc for all the reasons noted above is a lot more inflamtory than the way it as traditionally produced and consumed, That's why in the modern world its just easier for people to just move to meat and vegetables to improve their health (or even carnivore),

Also traditional cuisnes produced meals that were designed to be balanced with certain things counteracting the negative affects of other items. For example Iranians tradtionally having pickled and fermented side dishes and fresh herbs with their kebabs and other cooked meats to counteract the greasiness of the meat and the carcinogenic effects of heavily cooking your meat, etc. Using sumac to spice the meat (helps with cholesterol), etc Many middle eastern countries having cinnamon in their tea that they eat with sweets as the cinnamon helps counteract the negative effects of sugar spikes from sweets. Chinese having green tea after heavy meals to help digestion, etc.

Tradtional meals were carefully thought out and evolved over long periods of time and were designed as a balanced food system. A lot of factors went into it. Seasonal and available produce was a factor, longevity/perishability, taste, health, etc were all considered. Modern food doesn't have a coherent system.
So tortillas for carbs? Those are made from nixtamalized corn flour called masa. And given my location on the earth I could easily do that myself if it comes to it.

Back