The Rest In Peace (RIP) Thread

I think I really became aware of him as an actor with Field of Dreams. Once I saw him in that, I realized he had done a lot of other work, including Darth Vader. It's funny to be one of the most famous characters in cinema, but only as a voice, not a face.

I also remember him from the Conan movie, and now that I think about it, his character in Clear and Present Danger comes to mind. Great Actor. May he rest in peace.
I think he was also one of the crew in the B52 in Dr Strangelove too

He wasn't just a great voice but also a great actor plus he also served in the Korean war and that's why Kubrick casted him because he had experience in a B52 and would be a sort of supervisor for the rest of the cast:

"Jones made his film debut in Stanley Kubrick's Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) as the young Lt. Lothar Zogg,"

He wasn't just a great voice but also a great actor plus he also served in the Korean war and that's why Kubrick casted him because he had experience in a B52 and would be a sort of supervisor for the rest of the cast:

"Jones made his film debut in Stanley Kubrick's Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) as the young Lt. Lothar Zogg,"

He didn't serve in the Korean War, he wasn't commissioned until after the war in '53.

He didn't have experience in a B-52 bomber as he was an Infantry Officer.

He did, however, complete Ranger School...hardcore!...and served with a mountain warfare training unit at Camp Hale, Colorado.

This info is all in the Wikipedia link you posted.

He didn't serve in the Korean War, he wasn't commissioned until after the war in '53.

He didn't have experience in a B-52 bomber as he was an Infantry Officer.

He did, however, complete Ranger School...hardcore!...and served with a mountain warfare training unit at Camp Hale, Colorado.

This info is all in the Wikipedia link you posted.

I apologize as I was quoting from memory, thanks for correcting me.

Maggie Smith (Sister Act, Harry Potter, Downton Abbey) died at 89. I remember her from Hook, but also Clash of the Titans, which was a fun film if you like mythology/fantasy.

Maggie Smith (Sister Act, Harry Potter, Downton Abbey) died at 89. I remember her from Hook, but also Clash of the Titans, which was a fun film if you like mythology/fantasy.

She was pretty good in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, where she played the role of a conservative girl school teacher, although that movie was subversive in nature and anti-nationalist.

prime-of-miss-jean-brodie-1969-opening-credits-10.jpg

John Ashton, 76

Tons of supporting roles in films (including Trapped In Paradise, Gone Baby Gone, Midnight Run, Some Kind Of Wonderful, Little Big League) and a lot of one-offs on TV in the 80's.

Probably most recognizable as Sgt Taggart from the "Beverly Hills Cop" films.

View attachment 12747

He was a great underrated actor who always seemed to elevate his characters to the next level (Midnight Run especially) RIP

RIP Kris Kristofferson. Country music legend, Rhodes scholar, helicopter pilot, soldier. He was part of the Highwaymen - with Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, and Waylon Jennings.

Edit - "Why Me Lord" or "Why Me," as it's sometimes called, was written by Kristofferson during a low period in his life, after he attended a religious service conducted by the Rev. Jimmie Rogers Snow.

Last edited:

RIP Kris Kristofferson. Country music legend, Rhodes scholar, helicopter pilot, soldier. He was part of the Highwaymen - with Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, and Waylon Jennings.

Edit - "Why Me Lord" or "Why Me," as it's sometimes called, was written by Kristofferson during a low period in his life, after he attended a religious service conducted by the Rev. Jimmie Rogers Snow.

He was 88. I didn't realize he was so old. He was a huge star, a major talent.

I really liked him as part of the Highwaymen.

Few will rememher his role in the Amerika miniseries. I remember watching this on TV as a kid.

Last edited:
Back