• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

The Movie Thread

I'll echo the Edge as very good. It's written by David Mamet (Glen Gary Glen Ross) and the action scenes are incredible (and realistic, with no CGI). Bart the Bear was a famous trained bear who is in just about every nature movie of that era requiring bears.

The Siege of Jadotville is a modern Irish / South African film (which is why it doesn't suck) that tells the story of a Zulu-type battle the Irish Army had versus overwhelming odds during the Congo Crisis of the 1960s, while acting as peacekeepers.

The film is basic old fashioned action moviemaking ,the way films used to be--straightforward plot without any Christopher Nolan flashback scenes, good action and conflict, little to no women (shoutout to the fantastic Old Henry) and a nice ending.

The only complaint I have is that some of the minor characters and subplots were confusing to those who don't have a background in 1960s Congolese history (for example, the opening scene is the murder of the Congolese Prime Minister Patrice Lumumba, and I didn't know it was anyone of power or political importance until reading more. It's helpful to read a bit about the real life incident, but that also ruins the plot a bit--once you know how the battle ends, there's not a huge point to the movie.

It was very well acted and appears historically accurate. Crazy to think that Irish and French were fighting each other over the Congo. If you like the film, read up on Congo Crisis after watching it.

Finally, a war movie where I can root for the white guys and not be made to feel guilty about it.

I'll echo the Edge as very good. It's written by David Mamet (Glen Gary Glen Ross) and the action scenes are incredible (and realistic, with no CGI). Bart the Bear was a famous trained bear who is in just about every nature movie of that era requiring bears.

The Siege of Jadotville is a modern Irish / South African film (which is why it doesn't suck) that tells the story of a Zulu-type battle the Irish Army had versus overwhelming odds during the Congo Crisis of the 1960s, while acting as peacekeepers.

The film is basic old fashioned action moviemaking ,the way films used to be--straightforward plot without any Christopher Nolan flashback scenes, good action and conflict, little to no women (shoutout to the fantastic Old Henry) and a nice ending.

The only complaint I have is that some of the minor characters and subplots were confusing to those who don't have a background in 1960s Congolese history (for example, the opening scene is the murder of the Congolese Prime Minister Patrice Lumumba, and I didn't know it was anyone of power or political importance until reading more. It's helpful to read a bit about the real life incident, but that also ruins the plot a bit--once you know how the battle ends, there's not a huge point to the movie.

It was very well acted and appears historically accurate. Crazy to think that Irish and French were fighting each other over the Congo. If you like the film, read up on Congo Crisis after watching it.

"Crazy to think that Irish and French were fighting each other over the Congo."

More useless brother wars my friend.

A few years ago I watched The Last Duel with Adam Driver, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck. At the time I liked the movie for its grittiness, it's stark brutality. But now I'm not so sure. I looked it up and one of the writers is a Jewish woman. Every. Single. Time. Right? The thing about the movie is the pure lack of Christianity in the knights and their brutal dominance of a woman, like the scene where Matt Damon forces himself on his wife after he finds out his buddy raped her, all so he knew he'd be the last one to have had sex with her and not the rapist. Everything about the movie showed the West to be a barbaric culture. I see it as an anti-Western movie now, another film showing how evil white men are.

Just finished Late Night with the Devil. Really good horror flick. Easy recommendation to make. The ending, for me, was solid but not great. It makes sense and is fitting, but I was a bit underwhelmed. But that's just how effective the movie is that I hoped for a little more misdirection at the end.

Little spoiler: the premise is founded on Satanic rituals at Bohemian Grove. It's pretty cool that Hollywood greenlit that.

Never before have I been so excited to see a documentary.

So I watched this the other night and although I really wanted to like it, I felt it was a bit of a let down.

Andrew McCarthy got most of the Brat Pack to sit down with him and talk about that article that came out in the 80s which branded these young actors together, but the interviews were very shallow and most of the talking was done by McCarthy. The other actors mostly just sat there and nodded and said, "Yeah, it was an unfair article." There was no probing by McCarthy to really get at what effect this article had on the others in the group; or maybe there was nothing to probe. Maybe it was just he who felt slighted by what was written about them. By the others' responses, it sure seems like it was Andrew was the one who still held the most resentment.

The other thing was that McCarthy would oscillate between feeling this resentment and then trying to put a positive spin on things by saying it brought them all together now or how he was glad he finally got to sit down with the author of the article and hear his take on it. The interview with David Blum was even weirder as McCarthy tried to be lighthearted most of the time but then tried to get Blum to confess that the article was unfair and mean-spirited when they were wrapping up. Very strange...

The production value of the film also looked cheap, like he filmed the movie using students from a college cinematography class. I wanted a more polished, in-depth piece of filmmaking with old clips from these actor's beginnings and interviews that went deeper into how being a part of The Brat Pack affected these actors. But what the filmmaker gave us was something much more shallow and subpar in quality.

Last edited:
Went to theater today ($7 Tuesday), and saw the “Bikeriders”. It was a pretty solid movie about the Vandals biker gang from late 60’s/70’s in the Midwest . Good character development and zero wokeness anywhere. Nothing Oscar worthy, but solid film that kept me entertained.

'Runaway Train' is one of the most masculine films ever made:

Watch it.

(MINI SPOILER ALERT)

As a former railroad worker (and therefore very sensitive to all the pinch/crush hazards in that milieu), the part where Jon Voight reaches up and grabs onto the coupler made me yell out loud, even before he got his hand squished. The wife called down in a panic, "are you ok?!?!" :LOL:

(MINI SPOILER ALERT)

As a former railroad worker (and therefore very sensitive to all the pinch/crush hazards in that milieu), the part where Jon Voight reaches up and grabs onto the coupler made me yell out loud, even before he got his hand squished. The wife called down in a panic, "are you ok?!?!" :LOL:

No matter how many times I see the movie that scene always makes me check my hand. So far it's still here.

With summer in full swing I thought I'd post a few fun summer flicks from the 80s and early 90s.

MV5BMTc1OTIyMzUzN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDAxNjEyMQ@@._V1_.jpg

Hot Pursuit (1987) starring John Cusack and Robert Loggia. Cusack plays Dan Bartlett, a prep school kid who was supposed to join his gf and her family on their vacation to the Caribbean but finds out at the last minute he failed his chemistry final and has to stay behind to make up the test. Luckily for him his chem prof turns out to be a cool guy and gives Dan an out at the last minute but alas the gf and her family have already left on their flight. The rest of the movie follows him as he tries to find his gf and her family down the Caribbean and all of the people he meets and crazy experiences he has along the way.

It's a fun movie and it has a lot of recognizable faces (Robert Loggia, Ben Stiller, Jerry Stiller, Kieth David, etc.). The gf is played by Wendy Gazelle, whom I don't recall seeing in other films, but is super cute and loyal gf in the movie.

MV5BMTQyOTkyNTI1MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTk0OTgwMw@@._V1_.jpg

Captain Ron (1992)

6114EAnAqKL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Martin Short plays Martin Harvey, a Chicago family man who finds out he just inherited a sailboat from a deceased uncle. On a whim, he decides to take his whole family down to the Caribbean island where the boat is harbored and sail it back to Miami where he plans to sell it to a yacht broker. The broker hires a local named Captain Ron (played by Kurt Russell) to skipper the boat for the family.

Though made in the 90s, the film feels like a fun 80s movie. I've never been a big Martin Short fan but in this movie his brand of comedy works well. Watching the movie I'm reminded of how versatile and prolific Kurt Russell has been over the decades - from SciFi (The Thing), to Westerns (Tombstone), action (Snake Plissken) , to comedy movies (Overboard)

captain-ron-kurt-russel.gif

I recently rewatched The Shawshank Redemption, a film I enjoyed back in high school.

What kind of Jewish wet dream is this?

- The banker is the good guy
- The Bible-loving Christian is the villain
- All the inmates live in racial harmony
- All violence in the film is white on white

In real life, Morgan Freeman and his gang of brothers would've shanked Andy to death on his first night. End of movie.

I recently rewatched The Shawshank Redemption, a film I enjoyed back in high school.

What kind of Jewish wet dream is this?

- The banker is the good guy
- The Bible-loving Christian is the villain
- All the inmates live in racial harmony
- All violence in the film is white on white

In real life, Morgan Freeman and his gang of brothers would've shanked Andy to death on his first night. End of movie.
Well, that bursted my bubble. I've always liked this movie, but now I see all the points you made are true.

In this case, the story origin isn't Jewish. It's Steven King, who was apparently woke before woke was a thing.

Speaking of prison movies I think Escape From Alcatraz is my favorite Clint Eastwood film and prison movie.

It doesn't try to be anything more than a taut thriller.

Here is Quentin Tarantino talking about it.

Don Siegel is a Jew, so it's a good Jewish prison movie.

Last edited:

Thanks for recommending “The Siege of Jadotville”. One of the best war films I’ve seen in quite some time. Highly recommend as well. I told my father about it and also loved it.

Back