Sleep

Sometimes listening to people with calm, slowly delivered speech helps me relax and fall asleep. Last night I dozed off listening to Zac Poonen, an Indian preacher who has that kind delivery.

A couple of nights ago while trying to sleep, I felt tightness in my chest & my pulse racing. It seemed like a high level of anxiety. I repeat many times the Lord's prayer. Also I asked God to not leave my wife as a widow. A bad thought appeared in my brain - walking off a bridge and splat, into the concrete. A sure way to sleep. But that is an evil thought. Looks like my condition continues to deteriorate. I believe the devil is attacking me at my weak point. He's quite good at it.

Sometimes listening to people with calm, slowly delivered speech helps me relax and fall asleep. Last night I dozed off listening to Zac Poonen, an Indian preacher who has that kind delivery.
That guy's got some wise nuggets. I've liked what I've heard/seen.

A couple of nights ago while trying to sleep, I felt tightness in my chest & my pulse racing. It seemed like a high level of anxiety. I repeat many times the Lord's prayer. Also I asked God to not leave my wife as a widow. A bad thought appeared in my brain - walking off a bridge and splat, into the concrete. A sure way to sleep. But that is an evil thought. Looks like my condition continues to deteriorate. I believe the devil is attacking me at my weak point. He's quite good at it.

Have you tried fasting from coffee?

Have you tried fasting from coffee?
No. I drink a couple of cups in the morning but that's all. I've been talking with my spouse about some deep things which have been bothering me. The talks haven't been easy but sleep quality has improved. At least I'm sleeping 5-6 hours nightly.

I sleep very well, at least fall asleep. Normally very regular, 11pm to 7am roughly and I try to vary it very little, as deviation of more than an hour can mess me up. Diet - sleep - exercise is generally quite in balance with me.

Sometimes I mess up a night's sleep by eating too much of something or other in the evening. That has the effect that I fall asleep but wake up at like 4am or so. Thankfully hasn't happened in a while.

So I noticed a while ago that the supplement ZMA (zinc magnesium amino acid) before bed increases sleep quality, that is I would wake up in the morning feeling better.

Right now I'm visiting, so the food around is stuff that someone else got at the supermarket. Last night I downed some calories late at night I probably did not need and woke up this morning feeling supremely good, in particular better in the head than usual. I thought of what I ate and put it down to the walnuts.

Just had a small read about it here -
11. Helps You Get a Better Sleep
Walnuts contain an amino acid named tryptophan which helps in regulating the body’s clock. Our body uses this amino acid to produce serotonin and melatonin, both involved in regulating sleep.

Thus, having walnuts before bedtime may help improve your sleep quality and support better health, both physical and mental.
Also apparently good for the brain.

So there you go. I normally avoid buying nuts due to the calorie content but ate it again this evening deliberately may add it to the regular groceries.

I sleep very well, at least fall asleep. Normally very regular, 11pm to 7am roughly and I try to vary it very little, as deviation of more than an hour can mess me up. Diet - sleep - exercise is generally quite in balance with me.

Sometimes I mess up a night's sleep by eating too much of something or other in the evening. That has the effect that I fall asleep but wake up at like 4am or so. Thankfully hasn't happened in a while.

So I noticed a while ago that the supplement ZMA (zinc magnesium amino acid) before bed increases sleep quality, that is I would wake up in the morning feeling better.

Right now I'm visiting, so the food around is stuff that someone else got at the supermarket. Last night I downed some calories late at night I probably did not need and woke up this morning feeling supremely good, in particular better in the head than usual. I thought of what I ate and put it down to the walnuts.

So there you go. I normally avoid buying nuts due to the calorie content but ate it again this evening deliberately may add it to the regular groceries.

I like a little walnuts with my ice cream.

If you really wanted to you could make your own sleep supplement stack based off all this:

4g magnesium glycinate
50mg zinc gluconate
10mg< Vitamin B6
500-1000mg L-Tryptophan (or 5-HTP, but the former is safer)

And you could even start adding in more like theanine, ashwagandha, lavender, lemon balm...gets pricey at a certain point though.

I actually almost never hear of people using L-Tryptophan or 5-HTP for sleep which is bizarre considering all the talk about eating tryptophan-rich foods to promote sleep.

If you really wanted to you could make your own sleep supplement stack based off all this:

4g magnesium glycinate
50mg zinc gluconate
10mg< Vitamin B6
500-1000mg L-Tryptophan (or 5-HTP, but the former is safer)

And you could even start adding in more like theanine, ashwagandha, lavender, lemon balm...gets pricey at a certain point though.

I actually almost never hear of people using L-Tryptophan or 5-HTP for sleep which is bizarre considering all the talk about eating tryptophan-rich foods to promote sleep.
4g magnesium glycinate? 400mg is the RDA you must mean that instead.

Also interesting to learn b6 helps with sleep.

Turkey is usually promoted as a food to help with sleep due to its high tryptophan content. But I’ve noticed Kiwis also help out a lot with falling asleep, they contain both serotonin and melatonin.

Last edited:
Just read this article today on Dr. Mercola's site about Gamma-Hydroxybutyrate (GHB) and how it was a cure for insomnia until the FDA got it banned from the US because of some BS reason. Basically, it was the Ivermectin of sleep medicines and now you can't buy it anymore.

Even more in depth here.

4g magnesium glycinate? 400mg is the RDA you must mean that instead.

Also interesting to learn b6 helps with sleep.

Turkey is usually promoted as a food to help with sleep due to its high tryptophan content. But I’ve noticed Kiwis also help out a lot with falling asleep, they contain both serotonin and melatonin.
There's about 10% elemental magnesium, so 4g translates to 400mg of magnesium, the rest is glycine which has some evidence for improving sleep on its own. I only specify that since I typically use powder which requires weighing the dose.

Regardless I wouldn't be surprised if the RDA of 400mg too low, as it is in almost all cases since the FDA is clueless. You can take high doses mag glycinate without GI issues, I've taken as much as 10g before with no issues but that's probably pushing it.

Last edited:
Just read this article today on Dr. Mercola's site about Gamma-Hydroxybutyrate (GHB) and how it was a cure for insomnia until the FDA got it banned from the US because of some BS reason. Basically, it was the Ivermectin of sleep medicines and now you can't buy it anymore.

Phenibut is another option. In Russia, it's a prescription but so easy to get that it's effectively OTC, and they use it responsibly sporadically as a sleep aid. But in the US, and most other countries, it's in a gray area of legality and probably will be banned, because of all the retarded people who abuse it. Retarded people ruin everything.

Back