Relocating to Japan

The good thing about being a foreign kid (westerner, middle easterner, Latino etc) you are most likely bigger than Japanese kids so that coupled with if you do any martial arts training as a kid you after a few schoolyard fights the Japanese kids won't mess with you.
That might deal with the physical side of the bullying, but not the mental side. Also, there is no shortage of big kids here. My son is 100th percentile height and weight in Canada, and is only the 3rd tallest in his class in Tokyo. The dojos here are also packed with kids after school and in the evenings.

I haven't been to Japan but based on Japanese women I have met in Australia (negative self selection bias admittedly) and stories I have heard talking to Japanese men in Australia I would guess the average Japanese woman aged 18 - 25 is going to be pretty westernized at this point in terms of mentality although they aren't going to be fat or short haired like western women and are still somewhat less likely to have tattoos, but yes the careerism and delaying marriage aspects are pretty similar to the west at this point. And careerism for women is even more non-sensical in Japan than the west given how low Japanese salaries are. I would be interested to hear if my gut instinct corresponds to reality from guys like Laner that actually have boots on the ground.

Although the median salary in Japan is around $3000 USD per month that is skewed upwards due to an aging population and high paying legacy jobs of a bygone era which are gradually disappearing. Most women under 30 in Japan even with a university degree will likely be earning something like $2000 USD per month or less.

You can see according to the table below women aged 25 - 29 in Japan are earning a median salary of ¥3.0 million per month and for women aged 20 - 24 that figure is a median of ¥2.18 million per month.

This data is for 2024.
https://blog.gaijinpot.com/what-is-the-average-salary-in-japan/

Although what is interesting about the below table is that male earnings peak at age 55 - 59 (middle manager salary men, etc) whereas female earnings peak out at age 25 - 29, suggesting after that age women are getting married and having children and just working part time or in jobs with lower responsibility.

View attachment 13021

I believe this to be true. Young women often take jobs that give them opportunities to meet their future husbands. By 30, most women are married with kids and are then staying home until the kids are approaching middle school. Many moms work part time jobs with flexible hours to stay busy.

I would guess the average Japanese woman aged 18 - 25 is going to be pretty westernized at this point in terms of mentality although they aren't going to be fat or short haired like western women and are still somewhat less likely to have tattoos, but yes the careerism and delaying marriage aspects are pretty similar to the west at this point.

No, most women here are not into the western mentality of working their life away. Some are, of course, and some end up in that situation since there are still many issues in regards to women finding mates. But most women want to get married before 25 still. Its no secret that Japanese companies are grinders and most women want no part of that world. Women in Japan have a better deal than the men in this regard, and many women live lives of comfort due to these arrangements. A pretty girl here has an incredibly comfy life - more so than even the US.

If a guy could find a way to make US$5k a month here, they could live life 1950s style. Wife at home cooking insanely healthy meals, good non pozzed school for the kids, cozy holidays in resort towns (skiing, beaches, golf, etc). As others noted, life on easy mode.

^The 2 or 3 guys I know who did the teaching stint in their 20s/30s in Japan came back with a wife.
It's no joke, they worship white guys there. Anyone can experience it, being at least average tall and average looking white man. Especially if you speak Japanese.

However now that its becoming more and more travelled the SMV of average looking white man keeps going down and they are soon to become similar 90/10 competitive place as the West.

Maybe for a Japanese man yes. Most Japanese women have no interest in marrying a foreigner even if he makes a lot of money and speaks Japanese.

For a guy who has never been to Japan even once, and has never even had a Japanese girlfriend, you sure do make a lot of sweeping claims and dubious statements over and over in this thread, that, in reality, have very little basis in fact.

Last edited:
For a guy who has never been to Japan even once, and has never even had a Japanese girlfriend, you sure do make a lot of sweeping claims and dubious statements over and over in this thread, that, in reality, have very little basis in fact.
I briefly dated some Japanese girls in Australia many years ago and have met a lot of Japanese. But also I have numerous friends (including white friends) who have visited Japan and all of them struggled with Japanese women. Admittedly they did not speak Japanese so the language barrier was there but they didn't report much interest from Japanese girls in general.

It's no joke, they worship white guys there. Anyone can experience it, being at least average tall and average looking white man. Especially if you speak Japanese.
Maybe 20 years ago but personally I know quite a few white men who have visited Japan within the last 10 years and none of them had any luck with Japanese girls. There is nothing I am hearing or seeing that makes me think it would be easy in 2024 for a standard average white guy to get an above average looking girl in Japan.

Also the handful of white guys in Australia that I met who had previously lived in Japan and were now living in Australia with their Japanese wives. Their wives were plain Janes (5s). If it was easy for them to get 6s and 7s in Japan they would not be married to a 5.

My perception on the whole situation could be very wrong and realistically I cannot claim to know whats actually happening until I go and see Japan for myself. But I am just saying nothing I have seen or heard so far makes me think that Japan would be easy for a foreigner in 2024 (even a white foreigner).

Last edited:
No, most women here are not into the western mentality of working their life away.
If this is true then why is the birthrate so low in Japan? You try and paint a picture of young Japanese women being traditional housewives 2024 yet one look at the birthrate in Japan (a new record low of 1.2 which as far as I know of is the second lowest in the world after South Korea) plainly contradicts this thesis.

If this is true then why is the birthrate so low in Japan? You try and paint a picture of young Japanese women being traditional housewives 2024 yet one look at the birthrate in Japan (a new record low of 1.2 which as far as I know of is the second lowest in the world after South Korea) plainly contradicts this thesis.
Those numbers are the tail end of the baby boom after ww2. And I would never say that Japan isn't suffering from its low birth rate, because it certainly is. But its also more complicated than that.

Most young people want to get married. There is a decent segment who are like that experiment and the 'The Beautiful Ones' where pleasure takes precedent. As I mentioned, life is pretty easy here if you just have yourself to look out for. A part time job can essentially take care of all your immediate needs and even leaves some left over for hobbies. You won't live a great life, but you can essentially do what you want. But marriage is still the goal for 80% of the people. If half that number succeeds, then Japan will be fine - and by all accounts over half of the women here will have a child.

The low birth rate is a two part number. 1) That women of prime fertility years are not having a baby per year 2) That overall the number of births per year are falling. But compared to my family here who were born in Tokyo in the 50s and had 7 siblings, the 1 and 2 children in a typical family now is seen as a drastic fall. I even see it in the school my son attends. My wife went there when she was a kid and there was one more class per grade (40 kids x 6 grades = 240 extra kids) This is about 20% less than 25 years ago. But that doesn't mean people are not having babies. I see them everywhere. Meeting with family and friends, its far rarer to have a childless woman in their 30s than it is for them to have children. My wife has two cousins in one family who are childless. Her cousin is a single 30yo man, but he has a great job and is probably narrowing down prospects. Other than that everyone has at least one kid and is married. Anecdotal evidence is not great evidence, but anyone on this forum should know that Japan is under insane amounts of pressure to open its borders to the Sub continental hoard. Its happening through illegal channels, but that is not good enough. They want legal channels and they need it now - otherwise the Japanese will crack the code to solving their aging boomer issues and globalists won't have the opportunity to unleash their India/Africa bombs on Japan and Korea. So take the gnashing of teeth over the birthrates with a grain of salt here.

Another thing that people need to realize is that the cost of living is still incredible value here, housing is opening up constantly and is cheap, and the Japanese still run most things from a service (low skill) perspective. This means wages are increasing while the cost of living stays the same. Jobs are plentiful. Crime is non existent. This goes counter narrative to the wests plan of dropping the India and Africa into countries to 'solve our labour crisis'. Its utter nonsense and people in Japan are figuring it out.

Anecdotal evidence is not great evidence, but anyone on this forum should know that Japan is under insane amounts of pressure to open its borders to the Sub continental hoard. Its happening through illegal channels, but that is not good enough. They want legal channels and they need it now - otherwise the Japanese will crack the code to solving their aging boomer issues and globalists won't have the opportunity to unleash their India/Africa bombs on Japan and Korea. So take the gnashing of teeth over the birthrates with a grain of salt here.

......This goes counter narrative to the wests plan of dropping the India and Africa into countries to 'solve our labour crisis'. Its utter nonsense and people in Japan are figuring it out.

Well put! Your post is incredible well written and you got to the heart of the matter. The Japanese are well aware of the globalist manipulators who want to infest every country with 3rd world retards....except their own "chosen land".

Funny how they never seem to want them to go to Korea or China which has SO much more land but want Japan....a mountainous, land starved island with crammed living conditions, prone to natural disasters and where the emergency services are overwhelmed during disasters...to take in all these people.

They never seem to want them to go to their fellow religious brothers in the middle-east...which not only has so much more land, they also have filthy rich oil-money and resources.

I think it's because that any homogeneous people like the Japanese, Koreans and Chinese, are stronger when they are united. So these globalists want to break up their society.

I don't think many foreigners go there and wife traditional housewives.

Mainly, they get a Westernised 5 or maybe 6 who is still better in some ways than a Western 5 or 6 in terms of femininity but the language barrier and cultural differences creates other issues.

When I lived there, I didn't feel that most women wanted to be housewives. Many were focused on their careers or trying to travel and enjoying hobbies.

Many men had completely given up on dating and plenty of women were going a similar way towards focusing on themselves.

But Tokyo has an enormous population. Those were just the circles I ran in. I'm sure if I went to a baking or gardening class I'd see a different demographic.

I don't think many foreigners go there and wife traditional housewives.

Mainly, they get a Westernised 5 or maybe 6 who is still better in some ways than a Western 5 or 6 in terms of femininity but the language barrier and cultural differences creates other issues.

When I lived there, I didn't feel that most women wanted to be housewives. Many were focused on their careers or trying to travel and enjoying hobbies.

Many men had completely given up on dating and plenty of women were going a similar way towards focusing on themselves.

But Tokyo has an enormous population. Those were just the circles I ran in. I'm sure if I went to a baking or gardening class I'd see a different demographic.

Yeah places like Tokyo have so many people that even just a station or two can make all the difference on what you experience.

My wife was born in Shinjuku but I can't for the life of me imagine raising a family there anymore. Walking around there today I barely saw any kids - yet there are probably still 70 or 80 elementary schools in the city. Where we are in Tokyo (suburban Nerima/Ikebukaro), I see mostly families.

The hardest part of Japan for white guys is that most Japanese women want a Japanese man for long term relationships. And settling for a woman is also not a great recipe for happiness and throw in cultural differences, its most likely not going to work long term. But for those who it works, they seem to have fantastic relationships and are very happy together (which can be said of any relationship, Japanese or western).

My advice has always been for guys to date within their own culture if possible, within their own race second. But if a good thing comes along, then you also have to recognize this and be able to make a decision.

Back