Positivity, Good News Only Thread

I've attended 3 funerals in the past 5 months. I'm being trained on how to conduct funerals. This sounds weird, but I'm coming to enjoy funerals because one can give a lot of comfort to those of the deceased and people really appreciate it. I understand why clergy do not have the same expressions of sadness, death is but a part of God's great design and we will meet our loved ones again someday. Seeing death frequently complete changes your view of it.

I had a peculiar philosophy teacher at high school. Lapsed Catholic graduating in theology, but very liberal when he talks about politics. Hated his job as much as he loved it, and would break character as a teacher all the time, with very real talks. There's something to admire in a school teacher in Brazil gaining minimum wage, on a garbage city, and just going along.

His classes on the philosophy of death were very interesting. I still remember them to this day. More because of his view of it, which he claims to "reflect on every day."
There's more to it, but it's a long story. I'll probably have a chat with him eventually about theology type stuff, if he is still around. And thank him for shamelessly giving me a 10 on my last semester just to not have to write more tests (I did literally nothing).

I visited a church in another town today. I communed and the sermon hit me. God blessed me with the tears that I asked for, during the liturgy, and even after when talking with someone dear. A hieromonk and nun were visiting as well for the patronal feast. Just seeing and being around the monk's simplicity and childlikeness, while yet being elderly, pierced to my soul and gave me a strange happiness; as I observed many things, even the way he walked. Today, someone who I pray for unexpectedly asked for forgiveness.

I've attended 3 funerals in the past 5 months. I'm being trained on how to conduct funerals. This sounds weird, but I'm coming to enjoy funerals because one can give a lot of comfort to those of the deceased and people really appreciate it. I understand why clergy do not have the same expressions of sadness, death is but a part of God's great design and we will meet our loved ones again someday. Seeing death frequently complete changes your view of it.

I hate funerals. I think the worst part is comforting a crying friend. There is nothing you can say to make them feel better and only time will calm them. If possible, I rather not go.

I hate funerals. I think the worst part is comforting a crying friend. There is nothing you can say to make them feel better and only time will calm them. If possible, I rather not go.
I only went to one, and that was for a grandmother or aunt that I did not talk to much, outside of when I went to her city (a few times). No one cried much, if at all. I don't know if that was just my family or something, but I remember her being an old lady who never did much in the first place, outside of calmly waiting the Lord while watching Catholic cable TV at home on an old people chair. No kids or husband from what I could tell, but she was a big part of the house.

Overall I liked it. It was sort of a family meetup for a side of my family I don't talk to. Cemeteries are a place I never really went much to, so that was something interesting as well.
I was never the go to guy for comforting someone, however.

A friend of mine died young, I was a wreck at his memorial. Two friends came and didn't really comfort me at all, but they just sat next to me and acknowledged my pain. They didn't know the guy half as well as me -- they came for me, and now we will be friends until death.

Well spoken. I relate fully.

Some time ago I was at a funeral where they ended the mass with "In Paradisum" by Faure/

It ends with the words.

Chorus angelorum te suscipiat, et cum Lazaro quondam paupere æternam habeas requiem.

May choirs of angels receive you and with Lazarus, once a poor man, may you have eternal rest.

Thinking about it again, gives me goosebumps. It touches something profound for me.
The eternal kingdom is very different from what we often see on earth.

Wishing our deceased to be with Lazarus. The beggar sitting at the rich mans door. May them be together.

Beautiful.

poor-lazarus-rich-mans-door-237_42370.jpg

Orthodox funerals are beautiful. The whole focus of the worship service is on God, not the one who had passed. There are other Orthodox that can explain this better as I've only attended a few services.

We bless and serve a traditional wheat-berry/nut/honey dish called koliva. It is decorated with a cross of almonds and powdered sugar and with a burning candle in the center. It is a reminder that a grain of wheat is buried in the ground before it can grow. We sing the traditional and moving hymn "Memory Eternal", may the deceased be remembered eternally, in the mind of God.

I've been unemployed for 5 1/2 months, applying frequently, getting only about 6 interviews during these months despite my resume being good... but I got a job offer for labor/installation job now! During this time of unemployment there have been two times where an anonymous envelope was in a crack of the outside of my car with cash that gave me the ability to cook food and get gas. A friend from my parish has bought me a gym membership and said he'll keep on paying for it, so it's motivated me to spend more time there :)

I keep a gratitude journal where I write down one thing every day i for which I am grateful. This has been a blessing in itself:

Even though I write it down in the evening, this practice has made me more aware of blessings throughout the day. For instance I could write about having a comfortable home or I could write about the feel of the warm sun on my face as a cool breeze passes by, or, having a loving family, or just pausing to listen to the musical songbird out my window.

This habit encourages me to reflect back on the day to find something positive and happy, even when I don't feel it.

It's so easy to forget our blessings while we're having a bad day or major crises. This journal of memories of good things, good times, will be a comfort.

Back