Nicotine addiction

Nicotine is getting a resurgence I think. A lot of the claims surrounding it are simply not true, I don't think we can even conclusively say if it's carcinogenic or not. There is some cardiotoxicity from it and I know it can effect blood pressure and heart function but if you use it in moderation I don't think it's an issue. I do also recall that nicotine increases a protein called Delta Fos-B which is implicated in dopamine response in the prefrontal cortex, this has some implications too. A quick chat GPT summary:

• Dopamine Regulation: DeltaFosB enhances the sensitivity of neurons to dopamine. This increased sensitivity can lead to a stronger response to the presence of dopamine, amplifying the reward sensation that nicotine (or other addictive substances) produces.
  • Behavioral Sensitization: As DeltaFosB accumulates, it can lead to behavioral sensitization, where the individual becomes increasingly sensitive to the effects of the drug. This means that even with the same amount of nicotine, the brain’s reward system might produce a stronger response over time.
  • Long-Term Changes: DeltaFosB also induces long-term changes in gene expression that contribute to the persistence of addictive behaviors. For example, it can promote the expression of certain proteins that make the brain more responsive to nicotine, making it harder for someone to quit.
  • Cross-Sensitization: Interestingly, DeltaFosB’s effects are not limited to nicotine. It can also sensitize the brain to other addictive substances, which is one reason why individuals who are addicted to one substance might be more susceptible to becoming addicted to another.
If you're going to use nicotine you should not use it long term and if you have had a history of substance abuse (even caffeine) it can increase your chances of other addictions occuring. So, be mindful of how much/how long you use it, and which route of administration you go with. Vape pens are absolutely horrible though and I would strongly advise against them.

I do go through periods of using lozenges or recently, Zyn, which I didn't know was just nicotine salts, not chewless tobacco. I used to use Swedish snus, which is arguably one of the safest forms of any nicotine/tobacco product, but it's getting taken off the market now so Zyn/lozenges is a good alternative. Zyn is better bang for your buck but more addicting than lozenges. If you can afford lozenges, do it. Ideally, patches are actually the safest and least addictive option, but they're quite expensive.

The thing I've noticed about nicotine too, at least for me, is that I can quit it cold turkey and feel no withdrawals. I think it's entirely psychological. It definitely has its uses, it's particularly great for long motorcycle rides or road trips, or just maintaining productivity. But, I have noticed that I had similar mindset to justify using other drugs (kratom, pot) in the past, and it's possible I am deluding myself now in the same way as with nicotine. Thing is though nicotine has proven neurocognitive benefits that can justify it. There's even evidence it can ward off cognitive decline/dementia. So you gotta take the bad with the good. Andrew Huberman even uses nicotine himself though he also admits to using only 2mg of gum a few times a week, but he may just be sensitive to it. I always seemed to need to use a lot to really notice anything.
I got awful withdrawals from going off nicotine, particularly depression. It's mostly from maxing out your dopamine receptors and then removing the source of dopamine. It's dangerous really to get huge hits of dopamine from an activity that requires no effort as it will mess with your motivation.

I also got so anxious at times I relapsed into alcohol to take the edge off the nicotine anxiety. Just awful. I'm staying away from these demonic super stimulants.

Yes Huberman was taking it but he was taking 1mg and only that daily. If you can moderate to such low amounts, go for it. I always end up consuming it non stop but the positive effects soon wear off and I am just taking it to not have to deal with the withdrawals.

A big reason for taking it in my case is boredom. But it's such a dumb thing to do because you are getting this amped up stimulation but not really doing anything. Much better to get a change in emotional state by doing something different than relying on drugs.

I got awful withdrawals from going off nicotine, particularly depression. It's mostly from maxing out your dopamine receptors and then removing the source of dopamine. It's dangerous really to get huge hits of dopamine from an activity that requires no effort as it will mess with your motivation.

I also got so anxious at times I relapsed into alcohol to take the edge off the nicotine anxiety. Just awful. I'm staying away from these demonic super stimulants.

Yes Huberman was taking it but he was taking 1mg and only that daily. If you can moderate to such low amounts, go for it. I always end up consuming it non stop but the positive effects soon wear off and I am just taking it to not have to deal with the withdrawals.

A big reason for taking it in my case is boredom. But it's such a dumb thing to do because you are getting this amped up stimulation but not really doing anything. Much better to get a change in emotional state by doing something different than relying on drugs.
Idk how he notices anything from it from 1mg. Even after months or years off, I would need to take 6-8mg of a lozenges to notice anything.

I find it helps to use nicotine as a reward or to enhance certain activities. It's really, really enjoyable after a workout. I also tend to use it on road trips or when motorcycling to stay sharp. It's indeed abysmal to use it passively you're bored, just laying around at home on the couch. Huberman has talked about this, when you get an immediate dopaminergic response from nothing, instead of from goal-seeking / effort-based behavior, it completely messes with your reward system.

If you want a tip for withdrawals, Bupropion (Wellbutrin) can help a lot. It's an atypical antidepressant (not SSRI) which are the goats of antidepressants. It has the added benefit of being a nicotine receptor antagonist, and is even prescribed as a smoking cessation aid. If you take it, it will severely reduce, or even nullify the effect of nicotine. It's imperitive that you continue using the nicotine, because your brain will begin to associate the nicotine with no reward, which will lead to decreased cravings. NAC might also help too, and much easier to get your hands on. But, I bet if you talked to a family doctor about a nicotine addiction, most would be willing to prescribe it. Say what you will about doctors and pharmaceutical drugs, but they're not all bad, and they do have their uses.

Last edited:
Back