• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

Lifter's Lounge

Two or three minutes of easy running should be enough of a warmup if it's cold out. 10 intense minutes goes way beyond a warmup and gets into muscle and body fatigue and is going to hurt your lifting. If it's not cold out, you don't even need a cardio warmup, just do a few sets of practice sets increasing weight and lowering reps as you approach your working weight.

Don't get me wrong, 10 minutes of intense running is fine, but consider moving that to the end of your workout if your priority is lifting more weight and getting stronger.
Noted. Cheers for the advice.

In July I tore the labrum in my right shoulder, and shortly thereafter got tendonitis in the left shoulder. I couldn't curl, overhead press, or dumbbell bench 10 lbs. In September I started rehab, and in October I started going to the gym regularly. Until the end of January I was aiming for 8 reps on each set but going to failure (so if I could do 9, I did 9), 3 sets per workout, increasing weight when I could accomplish that. I always gave myself at least 48 hours rest between doing the same muscle group again. I've been tracking my workouts, and I'd like to share my progress as a fairly novice lifter in the newbie gains stage as a bit of inspiration. I'm by no means strong, it's just that I wasn't aware how rapidly you could gain strength naturally. Also I'm not showing every workout here, each datapoint is just the first time I did that weight.

1708023401197.png

Chest progress. I switched to cable crossovers in December as my gym didn't have dumbbells over 45 lbs or a barbell, so I had to switch to a different workout to still go for my 8 rep target. I've maintained linear progress though at the end of January I started doing sets of 5 or 6 (might go back to 8 soon). As a disclaimer, the cable crossovers are done with a cable machine that has a 2:1 mechanical advantage, so 200 pounds is really me pushing 100lbs of force. I wonder how that translates to a bench press, as this is done standing and therefore unstable vice a flat bench press.

1708023909602.png

Triceps press-downs. This one starts at a normal weight as opposed to basically zero, as the labrum tear actually doesn't affect the triceps press down as much. My biceps progress started at basically zero, however, as that has a lot to do with the shoulder.

So yeah, I don't know why everyone wouldn't go to the gym and realize their newbie gains. Supposedly newbie gains last for 6-12 months. Go and lift. This wasn't a huge effort on my part. Just made sure to go, track progress, and eat enough protein. I'm thankful for my injuries as it got me into the gym.

Attachments

• 1708023882240.png
    1708023882240.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
As a quick update on protein, I have issues with certain things related to milk, or heavy milkfat yogurt (which at lower levels does not bother me), and I am currently taking Labrada hydrolyzed whey. Apart from it having a few additives that I'd rather it not, it tastes good, mixes, and I have no issues in digestion. For what that's worth. It wasn't cheap but wasn't super expensive from what I saw when comparing higher level isolates/hydrolyzed whey powders.

Anyone care to write me out a good leg workout for someone with minor meniscus tears? I use Planet Fitness, so there's no squat rack(except the smith); I use a lot of DBs, which only go up to 75 lbs. I'm 5'8" and I weigh about 155 lbs. I feel less motivated on leg day than back or shoulder day, which I enjoy more.

A post or pre workout meal would be nice too. The other day I had a solid back workout, just doing chest supported DB rows on an incline bench and 4 sets of 20 Lat pull downs at a light weight. Afterwards I ate some sesame chicken and I felt amazing. I know I need to eat more quality proteins.

Last edited:
Anyone care to write me out a good leg workout for someone with minor meniscus tears? I use Planet Fitness, so there's no squat rack(except the smith); I use a lot of DBs, which only go up to 75 lbs. I'm 5'8" and I weigh about 155 lbs. I feel less motivated on leg day than back or shoulder day, which I enjoy more.

A post or pre workout meal would be nice too. The other day I had a solid back workout, just doing chest supported DB rows on an incline bench and 4 sets of 20 Lat pull downs at a light weight. Afterwards I ate some sesame chicken and I felt amazing. I know I need to eat more quality proteins.

What can you do without pain? That's usually a pretty good indicator of what you can throw in for leg day.

For some, hack squats dont irritate the knees. Depends on your build of course.

Machines are 2nd best but you can still build a respectable set of wheels with leg press, leg curl, leg extension, hack squat, calf raise all machines.

If you can't even move the knees without pain then I'd do weighted isometric horse stance for time, starting with a dumbbell in the hands and working up to a minute or two, then adding more weight rinse and repeat.

However if the meniscus tears are something that can be healed, it's usually best to do very light weighted stuff for tons of reps to force blood into the tissue. Empty barbell curls for hundreds of reps works to heal elbow tendonitis, I'm not a doctor but I don't see why many light weight pumpy reps wouldn't help heal a meniscus tear.

Maybe tie a resistance band to your ankle and do hundreds of leg curls to get a pump, or like 50 slow controlled reps on the leg extension machine.

This article has some ideas.

I used to lift exclusively for strength, but as I’ve gotten older and the injuries have stacked up, I’ve changed my training to almost exclusively hypertrophy. I’m not as strong as I was in my 20s, but there’s something so nice about it, you know? Anyone else focusing on hypertrophy?
I'm personally still in the beginner/novice range for most of my lifts so I'm focusing on strength for now. I've had tendonitis and have a SLAP tear so really I'm just happy with doing whatever I can without aggravating my shoulder too much.

Nothing makes you realize how weak you are like lifting for a few months, getting a lot stronger, and realizing you're still not even close to intermediate. Everyone should lift.

I used to lift exclusively for strength, but as I’ve gotten older and the injuries have stacked up, I’ve changed my training to almost exclusively hypertrophy. I’m not as strong as I was in my 20s, but there’s something so nice about it, you know? Anyone else focusing on hypertrophy?
I presume you mean more volume ... natty or not in general is all about this by the way, as bang for your buck. He is convinced the CNS fatigue is bigger than people think. I agree, and like you, since I have a base that lifted for strength and maintained it for about 20 years, there is no point anymore in risking injury or lifting 30-50 more pounds. I lift now to maintain and I eat less and IF to be lean and at least somewhat strong. I was never going to be huge unless I did roids and eating was always a chore. It still is, by the way. Luckily for me I am lean and will continue to look it with form. I think that beats big and chubby-ish, but some women might like size I guess, so it's all about shapes, sizes, and style.

I was never going to be huge unless I did roids and eating was always a chore. It still is, by the way. Luckily for me I am lean and will continue to look it with form. I think that beats big and chubby-ish, but some women might like size I guess, so it's all about shapes, sizes, and style.
I put on 20lbs since December. 20 lbs in 3 months, 190-210. Just weighed myself today for the first time since then, had no idea. I did make a concentrated effort to eat more in that time and my lifts did go up a lot but I think I put on enough “reserve” (fat) that i don't need to be worried about losing weight during Lent.

I'm personally still in the beginner/novice range for most of my lifts so I'm focusing on strength for now. I've had tendonitis and have a SLAP tear so really I'm just happy with doing whatever I can without aggravating my shoulder too much.

Nothing makes you realize how weak you are like lifting for a few months, getting a lot stronger, and realizing you're still not even close to intermediate. Everyone should lift.
Absolutely. That's awesome that you are getting stronger. There's no better feeling than when things start feeling lighter. It improves your quality of life in every single way. For me, lifting weights was the biggest reason I moved from a depressed woke, weak leftoid to who am I today. I also got into lifting via Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength, and I still think it's the best method for people starting with strength training.

I presume you mean more volume ... natty or not in general is all about this by the way, as bang for your buck. He is convinced the CNS fatigue is bigger than people think. I agree, and like you, since I have a base that lifted for strength and maintained it for about 20 years, there is no point anymore in risking injury or lifting 30-50 more pounds. I lift now to maintain and I eat less and IF to be lean and at least somewhat strong. I was never going to be huge unless I did roids and eating was always a chore. It still is, by the way. Luckily for me I am lean and will continue to look it with form. I think that beats big and chubby-ish, but some women might like size I guess, so it's all about shapes, sizes, and style.
That's how I feel, too. I did a heavy bench press a couple of weeks ago, and my form was off, so I had to struggle to get it up and ended up feeling a sharp pain in my abdomen. I immediately thought it was either a muscle tear or a hernia. A week later it looks like a muscle tear, but it was a good reminder. Why hurt myself just to lift an extra 10 pounds?

I love the adrenaline hit of lifting heavy, and I still remember the sense of accomplishment when I first hit my first 300lb squat and 400lb deadlift, but the juice isn't worth the squeeze anymore for me. I think my max lifts are behind me now, and I'm OK with that.

I also recently bought a cable machine, and it's nice to hit my legs or chest without having to have that perfect form for compound lifting. The other benefit is that I can recover quicker with higher volume, especially when I'm trying to fast or eat less.

Also, my body type is not made for lifting. I have a really short torso and long legs. It's OK for deadlifts, but awful for squats, overhead press, and bench press. I know guys who have the long torso and short arms and legs, and they just blow past me in lifting.

This right here, especially the bolded part.

I believe it was Rip himself who said "Strong people tend to live longer and are a lot more useful too."
There is literally no downside to being strong. Picking up heavy things and putting them down might seem pointless and dumb to some people but it goes all the way back to Ancient Greece. Training our body, and more importantly, our mind, is key if we are to thrive through the hard days ahead.

I switched my diet a little. Still only eat within a 2-3 hr window each night. All workouts are 15+ hrs fasted and I’m so used to that the idea of eating pre workout makes me nauseous.

But while not full carnivore I break my fast with some combo of 1-1.5 lbs chuck steak, 1.3 lbs+ of ground beef and 5-6 eggs. Sometimes just the ground beef with 5 eggs on top and hot sauce. All is bought from Costco. This is my major change. No matter how hungry I am I break my fast with 100-120g protein of beef/eggs every day. It’s always beef, then eggs to supplement. Immediately fills me up and eliminates cravings.

After that I either have protein ice cream which is 2 scoops protein powder, 2 cups fairlife milk and keto sugar free pudding mix. Runs about 60g protein. Or I’ll just mix the pudding mix with 2 cups milk and it’s a large bowl with little calories. Also rotate the Greek yogurt with protein powder combo. About 200g protein per day.

Zero veggies. Zero fruit.

But that’s it for about a month now. Weights I’ve focused on the 5-8 rep range and doing legs every 4-5 days. Never do the same workout more than twice in a row. Constantly changing the lifts, angles and order but sticking heavy. Also slow jogging on trails 2x per week. My body is changing rapidly. Putting on muscle, numbers in the gym going up across the board while dropping fat and definition is coming out. Really tho I feel stronger than I have in 5+ years but feeling leaner and more athletic too.

Only downside is I can’t sleep. Mental clarity also greatly improved and can’t turn my brain off. Even using magnesium, zinc and melatonin isn’t helping.

Last edited:
I switched my diet a little. Still only eat within a 2-3 hr window each night. All workouts are 15+ hrs fasted and I’m so used to that the idea of eating pre workout makes me nauseous.

But while not full carnivore I break my fast with some combo of 1-1.5 lbs chuck steak, 1.3 lbs+ of ground beef and 5-6 eggs. Sometimes just the ground beef with 5 eggs on top and hot sauce. All is bought from Costco. This is my major change. No matter how hungry I am I break my fast with 100-120g protein of beef/eggs every day. It’s always beef, then eggs to supplement. Immediately fills me up and eliminates cravings.

After that I either have protein ice cream which is 2 scoops protein powder, 2 cups fairlife milk and keto sugar free pudding mix. Runs about 60g protein. Or I’ll just mix the pudding mix with 2 cups milk and it’s a large bowl with little calories. Also rotate the Greek yogurt with protein powder combo. About 200g protein per day.

But that’s it for about a month now. Weights I’ve focused on the 5-8 rep range and doing legs every 4-5 days. Never do the same workout more than twice in a row. Constantly changing the lifts, angles and order but sticking heavy. Also slow jogging on trails 2x per week. My body is changing rapidly. Putting on muscle, numbers in the gym going up across the board while dropping fat and definition is coming out. Really tho I feel stronger than I have in 5+ years but feeling leaner and more athletic too.

Only downside is I can’t sleep. Mental clarity also greatly improved and can’t turn my brain off. Even using magnesium, zinc and melatonin isn’t helping.
Height, weight, bench, deadlift, barbell squat?

Underweight bodybuilders frequently have problems sleeping.

Just an impression based exclusively on what you wrote, but you might be overdoing it with all of this. "Can't turn my brain off" and not being able to sleep sounds like obsessive thoughts. What are you trying to accomplish with all of this? If it's just being fit and healthy and looking good, you could dial it back and relax a little more. You might be better off.

How are you socially with other people? Are you able to have pleasant interactions with them even if they're out of shape, kind of fat, and not into stuff you like, or do you find yourself feeling generally withdrawn and superior?

I'm not saying what you're doing is necessarily bad. I don't know you in real life and there's not enough information in your post. That said, it reminded me of a young guy I used to work with who went full carnivore. He was a normal, fit guy and in the course of a year or so after starting to obsessively eat only steak (we knew because he mentioned it often) the physical and mental decline became obvious. Nevertheless, he believed that what he was doing set him apart and somehow made him superior. Consider that you could be going down a similar path.

Inability to sleep is a huge red flag. Sleep is of crucial importance for both your health and for your testosterone production.

I'd recommend a balanced diet with 3 meals a day. Whole foods (no goyslop), 0.8 grams of protein per 1 lbs of bodyweight (200g of protein seems excessive unless you weigh well over 200lbs), sufficient carbs, fats and vegetables, fruits in moderation.

I'd recommend a lot of walking (10,000 steps a day is a good goal) and some steady cardio two/three times a week (I do stationary bike for 30 minutes 3x/week).

I think people go for solutions that are too extreme. Health is the most important thing, and if you are depriving yourself too much and pushing yourself so hard that you cannot sleep, then I think it's time to go for something more balanced.

If you do the above you should be able to consistently gain muscle while retain a lean and healthy bodyfat level (~15%). 15% bodyfat is what most men should aim for. It is still leaner than 95% of the population and relatively easy to maintain. Athletes can go lower (12%), but there is no need for that for people who just want to be healthy. If you have a decent amount of muscle you will look great at 15%.

Back