• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

Lifter's Lounge

^I've noticed it's mostly women that insist on wiping down machines after they're done (even if there's no sweat). Who tf cares. I've never wiped down machines or benches before using them (even if there's sweat on them) nor do I after using them myself. Hell, even during Covid I would workout, go to the sauna, get groceries, come home, cook and eat dinner, and not having washed my hands the whole time. Never got sick.

Such a ridiculous notion that you should do it for the next person. If you're so concerned, do it yourself, or let the employees do it since it's their damn job. I don't even think they're doing it out of germaphobia they're doing it for the same reason as recycling, for this psuedo moralistic superiority of doing "the right thing." My inner misanthropy is coming out here but seriously you got me worked up over this now because it's such clown behavior.
I would wipe them down but rubbing my armpit ON the Pad.

If you can't handle my zesty sweat, you don't belong pumping iron.

It should be bottled and sold like gladiator sweat in times of Rome....

I would wipe them down but rubbing my armpit ON the Pad.

If you can't handle my zesty sweat, you don't belong pumping iron.

It should be bottled and sold like gladiator sweat in times of Rome....
I was also thinking of Roman times and gladiators, maybe passing a condemned prisoner to the lions, and how a spray bottle of antiseptic was not even invented back then.

Yeah I think of all the lifting styles, olympic (barbell) lifting is likely the most dangerous for the self taught lifter and any study that says otherwise is only proving the point that almost no one does it without a coach.

Although pretty much everyone i know who has lifted weights has gotten hurt at some point or another.

Yeah I think of all the lifting styles, olympic (barbell) lifting is likely the most dangerous for the self taught lifter and any study that says otherwise is only proving the point that almost no one does it without a coach.

Although pretty much everyone i know who has lifted weights has gotten hurt at some point or another.
How about running as a common injury driver.

How about running as a common injury driver.
I used to run a lot. Didn't have any major injuries from it but was definitely overtraining and had chronic fatigue. With lifting 3x a week my body is in much better condition and recovers much faster. I don't feel burnt out or dread the next session, even though in terms of pure effort and testicular fortitude, lifting heavy is way more taxing than simply enduring a few more miles on the pavement.

Imo, part of the American cultural obsession with running (and to a lesser extent, calisthenics) as a fitness benchmark stems from movies and books popularizing it whilst demonizing "weightlifting".

As far as injuries go, most guys I know that have gotten injured lifting were trying to move too much weight, too fast or were trying to reinvent the wheel. There's lots of good beginner and novice protocols out there, get on one and stick to it for a couple of years, then look around for what to do next.

What is Olympic (non-barbell) lifting?

I don't mean to be nit picky, but comments like these illustrate a misunderstanding of what this lifting style actually entails.

What exactly about weightlifting makes it inherently "the most dangerous":

The two competition lifts (snatch, clean & jerk) themselves?

The equipment needs (bars with bearings, bumpers, and, ideally, a platform) in order to properly perform them?

Space needs (a bit of space to avoid the casual lifting goons who unwittingly walk into the bar path or range of vision)?

At the end of the day, the self-taught lifter who decides that they want to start performing the Olympic lifts has more strength than technique. They may be capable of a 100kg clean, but their technique (some type of muscle clean/reverse curl combination) only allows them to clean closer to 60. In my experience of lifting and teaching liters, these limitations are more likely to prevent injuries in self-taught lifters as they aren't using enough weight to really injure themselves.

No idea the validity of the study.

I do know most people have no clue how to clean, snatch, and jerk.

And even fewer people do them than powerlifting...which is much more common in the US. (Also many people who don't know what they're doing say they are powerlifting)

I'm very skeptical that this study is an apples to apples comparison.

I can tell you from going to CrossFit gyms pre-Marine Corps, that the Olympic weightlifting structure and programming was not ideal...and people were hurt there too.
I can't tell you about the validity either, especially since the information comes from an aggregate of multiple databases with information on the topic. However, as much as I despise the practice of simply to defaulting to the "experts" and the process of "peer review", I am more inclined to defer to these multiple databases than to the anecdotal "I used to go to CrossFit".

Is your main argument here that weightlifting is more dangerous due to the context (CrossFit) that most people perform the lifts in? Per that logic, when the big 3 are performed in CrossFit workouts or programming, do they become as, for lack of a better term, "dangerous" as the Olympic lifts?

I'm not trying to have a go at you; I'm trying to understand this stigmatization of weightlifting and find where the source may be.

I can't tell you about the validity either, especially since the information comes from an aggregate of multiple databases with information on the topic. However, as much as I despise the practice of simply to defaulting to the "experts" and the process of "peer review", I am more inclined to defer to these multiple databases than to the anecdotal "I used to go to CrossFit".
I can make a peer reviewed article that tells you the Covid shot is good for you...

So if I dont know the information behind the study. Das ist Quatsch.

I've done both, and only seen people hurt in Crossfit due to poor coaching and doing technical lifts beyond their capability.

OF COURSE you can get hurt powerlifting. There are tons of people with torn pecs or biceps to demonstrate that. But this is often at an elite level and a result often of weight cuts at meets and rehydration issues. But yes they do happen.

Is your main argument here that weightlifting is more dangerous due to the context (CrossFit) that most people perform the lifts in? Per that logic, when the big 3 are performed in CrossFit workouts or programming, do they become as, for lack of a better term, "dangerous" as the Olympic lifts?
No.

The Big 3 are less dangerous because they are less skill-strenght, and more absolute strenght.

If you understand the difference in Sport and the Force Posture Curve.... you'll understand the biomechanics of it. Olympic Lifts often require 2 Pulls (A pull off the floor, then a second pull to the chest/overhead to the snatch ect)

There are TONNNNNNNNSSSSS of other parameters like program volume, lifting frequency, lifter experience ect.

But for most people, they are more likely to get hurt doing a max effort snatch vs a max effort deadlift.

But Most people don't do snatch or jerk.... because they dont know how and are not trained in it. So instead they try one of the big 3 and wind up hurt due to poor form.
I'm not trying to have a go at you; I'm trying to understand this stigmatization of weightlifting and find where the source may be.
No worries.

I don't dislike weightlifting. I just don't know very many people who do it regularly and have the same physique as the number of powerlifters out there.

It's a VERY niche sport. Louie Simmons at Westside barbell started Weightlifting and transitioned to Powerlifting because of the difference in competitive sport atmosphere.

Last edited:
What is Olympic (non-barbell) lifting?

I don't mean to be nit picky, but comments like these illustrate a misunderstanding of what this lifting style actually entails.

What exactly about weightlifting makes it inherently "the most dangerous":

Doing the olympic lifts with dumbbells of course. The snatch and the clean and jerk aren't exclusive to barbells.

The fact that you have to shimmy your body around a barbell at speed after back hyperextension doesn't help. Yeah it's a skill issue.

I've got nothing against either lift, but for most people the oly lifts aren't worth it, you can achieve similar results with other exercises that are a lot less technical. If you compete, great. If you're trained in those lifts and have the required build, wrist flexibility, lower body flexibility etc, great. If you're in a gym with good oly lift coaches who can help you with technique, yeah go nuts. Most people have none of these things. Most people lift in a box gym with 50 machines and no platform or bumper plates.

Bench press kills more people per year but that's kind of a given since benches are everywhere and not everyone benches in a rack with safety pins/bars. I can count on one hand the number of people I have met who have so much as performed an olympic lift, much less a clean form that was more than "just jump and shrug bro".

The lifting culture around here in the midwest is basically curlbros, bodybuilders, and powerlifters. And no I have never gone to a crossfit gym, don't really plan on it.

I've gone to crossfit gyms over the years when it's too cold outside to go to barparks as most crossfit gyms are ideal for calisthenics with plenty of bars, rings, floor space, etc. Most people in crossfit gyms are just trying to get in shape so don't want to knock them too hard, but american crossfit in general has a fat camp/self help vibe "Nice Johnny! that was a great pushup! let's everybody give johnny a round of applause for that pushup! -cheering applauses-" and trust me when I say crossfit chicks are the worst of the worst. You can avoid all this if you ask when they aren't doing classes & go when it's empty.

Not all crossfitters are insufferable though. If you look up powermonkeyfitness on youtube, that guy is an ex gold medal gymnast on team USA & he opened a crossfit gym & does good events & lots of high quality tutorial videos. He's famous for effortlessly & calmly dunking on these "crossfit athletes" in their competetions on anything to do with bodyweight.

I used to run a lot. Didn't have any major injuries from it but was definitely overtraining and had chronic fatigue. With lifting 3x a week my body is in much better condition and recovers much faster. I don't feel burnt out or dread the next session, even though in terms of pure effort and testicular fortitude, lifting heavy is way more taxing than simply enduring a few more miles on the pavement.

Imo, part of the American cultural obsession with running (and to a lesser extent, calisthenics) as a fitness benchmark stems from movies and books popularizing it whilst demonizing "weightlifting".

As far as injuries go, most guys I know that have gotten injured lifting were trying to move too much weight, too fast or were trying to reinvent the wheel. There's lots of good beginner and novice protocols out there, get on one and stick to it for a couple of years, then look around for what to do next.
I run a lot but I hate it & serious marathon runners who actually enjoy running are some of the oddest people I know.

However, when I'm running I generally don't get sick & the overall health benefits of running are undeniable. It lowers my resting heart rate, slows down breathing, keeps metabolism high, helps keep me calmer, less anxious, etc. Not to mention, even running as little as 15 miles p/week, I can generally eat what I want within reason, extra piece of pie, candy bar, ice cream, all that is no problem on a running regimen. Weights, calisthenics, etc unfortunately won't do all that.

While running in general sucks, as an investment the returns on general health are too good to pass up.

I've been taking BCAA's (they have some other Aminos in them, not just the big 3, and beetroot powder) before the gym and they really do help. Anyone who is on the fence should really try them.

I run a lot but I hate it & serious marathon runners who actually enjoy running are some of the oddest people I know.

However, when I'm running I generally don't get sick & the overall health benefits of running are undeniable. It lowers my resting heart rate, slows down breathing, keeps metabolism high, helps keep me calmer, less anxious, etc. Not to mention, even running as little as 15 miles p/week, I can generally eat what I want within reason, extra piece of pie, candy bar, ice cream, all that is no problem on a running regimen. Weights, calisthenics, etc unfortunately won't do all that.

While running in general sucks, as an investment the returns on general health are too good to pass up.
Agree with the resting heart rate and metabolism.

I think the tough part with getting/staying reasonably fit is figuring out exactly what works best for you personally and then just sticking to it, regardless of what anyone else might be advocating. Not that there's anything wrong with trying new things but you gotta stick to what works.

Running short distances, like a couple miles a week for zone 2 cardio, and occasional sprints 10 x 50-100m is pretty much all I need to maintain. Beyond that it just gets so freaking boring and I don't really see benefits vs lifting where there is measurable progress every single session, even if its just on one lift.
If I had to give up one, it definitely wouldn't be lifting...

I don't think White people are built to be runners. Whites are built to be laborers. Farming, moving things, chopping wood, building things. I think a form of cardio that matches that would be better suited for us. Rucking, weightlifting, incline walking, chopping firewood, things like that.

Every White long distance runner I know looks skinny, malnourished, and far older than they really are. HIIT could probably be fine but the shear volume of running 10+ miles a week does a number on people. Running also inherently weakens you. Your muscles specialize for endurance as a distance runner, not for strength. An amount of cardio is definitely good for the heart, but people go way overboard.

Just to expand on the thought above, I think it makes sense to be training for things that prepare you for longevity. I don't want or need to be running into my 60s, 70s, 80s, if I make it that far. But I will want to be able to pick up my grandkids (God willing) and walk up stairs with ease. And what helps with that is precisely the things I mentioned above and specifically heavy weightlifting exercises like the deadlift and squat.

Humans in general IIRC are in the top 5 most efficient mammals for covering large distances in all of the animal kingdom, men, women, black, white, etc. IMHO, any healthy human should be able to efficiently cover 10, 20, etc miles at a moment's notice. But yeah, I mean, white man can't jump so expectations need to be kept realistic. I hate running, I suck at it, but again, health benefits.

Running for me keeps body fat low & helps me keep BMI under 25. My long term fitness goals are to maintain sub 25 BMI (ideally 23), keep a 27:30 5k, sub 60 RHR & maintain basic calisthenic moves like front/back lever, handstands, etc. Maybe one year I can planche & another I'll hit a 22 or 23 min 5k, but that won't be maintainable for any length of time.

I'm not sure these days as the military is lowering their physical fitness requirements so much, but IMHO it's a good idea to be able to maintain the marine's fitness test of 20 yrs ago (~27 min 5k, 15 pull ups, etc).

I also agree, whatever your program is it needs to be stuff that's both fun & challenging for you, personally. Fitness is a life long thing, this is stuff you're going to be waking up & dealing with almost everyday so staying motivated & in good spirits about fitness is extremely important.

Humans in general IIRC are in the top 5 most efficient mammals for covering large distances in all of the animal kingdom, men, women, black, white, etc. IMHO, any healthy human should be able to efficiently cover 10, 20, etc miles at a moment's notice. But yeah, I mean, white man can't jump so expectations need to be kept realistic. I hate running, I suck at it, but again, health benefits.

Running for me keeps body fat low & helps me keep BMI under 25. My long term fitness goals are to maintain sub 25 BMI (ideally 23), keep a 27:30 5k, sub 60 RHR & maintain basic calisthenic moves like front/back lever, handstands, etc. Maybe one year I can planche & another I'll hit a 22 or 23 min 5k, but that won't be maintainable for any length of time.

I'm not sure these days as the military is lowering their physical fitness requirements so much, but IMHO it's a good idea to be able to maintain the marine's fitness test of 20 yrs ago (~27 min 5k, 15 pull ups, etc).

I also agree, whatever your program is it needs to be stuff that's both fun & challenging for you, personally. Fitness is a life long thing, this is stuff you're going to be waking up & dealing with almost everyday so staying motivated & in good spirits about fitness is extremely important.
I think we can all agree one of the most important things is that we all find our specific type of training to be fun or at least rewarding and engaging. Better to be doing less than ideal training, and being able to take that with you into old age, than to do perfect training for a few months now and then drop it.

I think we can all agree one of the most important things is that we all find our specific type of training to be fun or at least rewarding and engaging. Better to be doing less than ideal training, and being able to take that with you into old age, than to do perfect training for a few months now and then drop it.

Walking is the best exercise as you get older. An hour walk can burn up to 500 calories if you get in some hills.

I cannot stand running but I do it anyway. Usually I'll do 10 minutes of intense running before a workout to get the blood going.
Two or three minutes of easy running should be enough of a warmup if it's cold out. 10 intense minutes goes way beyond a warmup and gets into muscle and body fatigue and is going to hurt your lifting. If it's not cold out, you don't even need a cardio warmup, just do a few sets of practice sets increasing weight and lowering reps as you approach your working weight.

Don't get me wrong, 10 minutes of intense running is fine, but consider moving that to the end of your workout if your priority is lifting more weight and getting stronger.

Back