• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

EURO 2024 Championship

Absolutely dreadful performance from England.

But still, lol. Lmao even.

Gutted Slovakia, maybe you shouldn’t have wasted so much time and you should have had a player sent off before you scored 🤷🏻‍♂️

Seriously. England vs Slovakia and Portugal Vs Slovenia. Two of the most high drama games of sports I've seen in my life. You honestly could not write this stuff and get away with it. In my opinion, the best drama now takes place in live professional sports. With movies and TV now utterly corrupted, the best place to see battles of human endeavour and the trials and troughs of human experience is on the sports field. It's the only arena where there is something truly unpredictable and where the predictable does not ring hollow or forced.

Now firstly, let's talk about this England game vs Slovakia. England played their awful misery ball yet again for 94 minutes. The manager made only minimal changes despite his pathetic tactics not working. The clock is ticking. Then out of basically nothing Real Madrid star Jude Bellingham pops up with a bicycle kick in the final minute of the game to score. A bicycle kick. Who even has the audacity to try something like that? Bellingham has the confidence and a swagger that Ronaldo once had. Like David Beckham before him, he appears to transcend the national character and become some sort of archetype. With his build and handsome features, he's more like a Greek God of some kind than a mere human. And yes his performances have been weak but that was something truly sensational from the young lad.

Speaking of Ronaldo, the Portugal vs Slovenia game was more like a Greek tragedy. While the England game showed a young star rising, this game as the ying to that games yang - what happens at the end - a fallen star on display. Ronaldo played a kind of aging Lear having to face up to his failings and being unable to escape from them. Watching him demand to take every free kick (which he proceeded to do very little with) became frustrating. Yet when he was reduced to tears after missing a penalty I felt genuine sympathy for the man. After everything, all the Champions Leagues and the Ballon D'ors, none of those meant anything to him now. He was forced to face - live on TV- his own skill evaporate from him and the identity issues associated with that. I don't want to watch one man's mid life crisis take place at the end of a knockout stage of a sports competition but it was compelling stuff all the same.

It ended on a bittersweet note with him coming back to score the first penalty of the shootout and then the Portugal goalkeeper miraculously saving every one of Slovenia's.

What a ride. What a rush. That's football.

Seriously. England vs Slovakia and Portugal Vs Slovenia. Two of the most high drama games of sports I've seen in my life. You honestly could not write this stuff and get away with it. In my opinion, the best drama now takes place in live professional sports. With movies and TV now utterly corrupted, the best place to see battles of human endeavour and the trials and troughs of human experience is on the sports field. It's the only arena where there is something truly unpredictable and where the predictable does not ring hollow or forced.

Now firstly, let's talk about this England game vs Slovakia. England played their awful misery ball yet again for 94 minutes. The manager made only minimal changes despite his pathetic tactics not working. The clock is ticking. Then out of basically nothing Real Madrid star Jude Bellingham pops up with a bicycle kick in the final minute of the game to score. A bicycle kick. Who even has the audacity to try something like that? Bellingham has the confidence and a swagger that Ronaldo once had. Like David Beckham before him, he appears to transcend the national character and become some sort of archetype. With his build and handsome features, he's more like a Greek God of some kind than a mere human. And yes his performances have been weak but that was something truly sensational from the young lad.

Speaking of Ronaldo, the Portugal vs Slovenia game was more like a Greek tragedy. While the England game showed a young star rising, this game as the ying to that games yang - what happens at the end - a fallen star on display. Ronaldo played a kind of aging Lear having to face up to his failings and being unable to escape from them. Watching him demand to take every free kick (which he proceeded to do very little with) became frustrating. Yet when he was reduced to tears after missing a penalty I felt genuine sympathy for the man. After everything, all the Champions Leagues and the Ballon D'ors, none of those meant anything to him now. He was forced to face - live on TV- his own skill evaporate from him and the identity issues associated with that. I don't want to watch one man's mid life crisis take place at the end of a knockout stage of a sports competition but it was compelling stuff all the same.

It ended on a bittersweet note with him coming back to score the first penalty of the shootout and then the Portugal goalkeeper miraculously saving every one of Slovenia's.

20 years ago I watched Cristiano Ronaldo at Euro 2004, and then saw him play his part in one of the most insane Man United teams of all time until 2009. Feels sad to see age catch up to him at last.

The problem is his reputation is so huge, he’s such a talismanic player, that he stays on for the full 90 when he’s approaching 40, just not reasonable anymore. Should be an impact sub.

But still, people who have only watched football over the last few years won’t know that he was once a menace and one of the most perfect athletes in history

Ronaldo scored 10 goals in 10 games for Portugal. In the 2024 qualification stage. I wouldn´t dismiss him yet.

He was the second top scorer in 2024 qualification stage from all teams.

The problem with Ronaldo its his team. And the rivalry between two national portuguese clubs which is affecting the national squad. Why is Cancelo making crosses for goal to Bernardo Silva. Instead of Ronaldo?

My bet is the winner between Germany vs Spain game will win the tournament or at least be the runner up.

That was a hell of a penalty save by one of the best goalies in the game today.

Also to add to this I believe he is well aware of his physical limitations but I would be a fool if I was the coach of that team and not have the legend himself take the pens or most free kicks. The only other choice is Bruno Fernandes and he is a coin flip at best.

Southgate and England are the luckiest team in the competition which is embarrassing.

Last edited:
High drama, great save by the Turkish goalie in the final minutes on that header.

I've got Holland-England and France-Spain in the semis, and Spain over England in the final.

austria-vs-turkey-content-1719759722-2608224795.jpg
turk chef mirror.gif

Back