Destabilization of US Cities: Crime, Homelessness, Liberalism

I doubt NYC is much better.

These people will never understand it. There is no pattern recognition, no inquiry as to why and how SF got so bad. Most major american cities are on that trajectory. NYC prob has worse migrant issues currently than belligerent homeless people, but there's no shortage of either group committing crimes and menacing the population.

I spent quite some time in NYC this past year. It hasn't gone full San Francisco as yet. It still has some safe neighborhoods and you can range over large parts of the city without seeing a breakdown of civil order. That said, I wouldn't use the subway nowadays.

I was in NYC about 6-7 years ago. It was probably different than now, but I didn't think Manhattan was dangerous. Just really crowded and overrated. The movies make it seem like this amazing, magical place and I wasn't feeling it.

I'm a Chicago native and it seems more dangerous in Chicago.

West Coast cities are the worst though, with all the homeless encampments, filth, etc. The West Coast has a lot of strange people too. Gets normal again in the rural areas.

Spent some time in Manhattan this summer. Never seen so many Hispanics there in my life, however, I did not see any kind of violence. Keep in mind I was only there in broad daylight. I walked all over. So, superficially, it seems safer than SF on a visit. But which is safer to live? Only God knows, wouldn't choose either.

Back