Boxing & MMA

Would like to see the UFC change their rules to encourage more activity and discourage stalling. The way it is now, a fighter can just grab a hold of their opponent and hold them down for basically the whole round without doing anything. The refs are super slow to intervene so we end up watching two dudes hug and play patty cake on the mat for 5 minutes.

Grappling should be a part of the sport but stalling shouldn't. Maybe allow for more strikes on the ground to make the "position battles" less boring to watch. This last card was hyped up big time but ended up being a huge dud, several fights where there was endless stalling and little to no action.
I think allowed knees to the head on a "grounded" opponents would help with seeing more activity on the ground. Right now there's a lot of positions, especially against the cage (which seems to be where the majority of a lot of fights take place in modern MMA) where a fighter can hang out and feel safe which leads to the stalling. If there was the threat of eating knee strikes then fights would be more wary of stopping in certain positions. Also I always disliked how fighters would do the whole putting their hand down on the ground to avoid knee strikes rules exploit and how some fighters who end up taking a knee in a "grounded" position will start flopping around the ground like soccer plays that get fouled do.

I think allowed knees to the head on a "grounded" opponents would help with seeing more activity on the ground. Right now there's a lot of positions, especially against the cage (which seems to be where the majority of a lot of fights take place in modern MMA) where a fighter can hang out and feel safe which leads to the stalling. If there was the threat of eating knee strikes then fights would be more wary of stopping in certain positions. Also I always disliked how fighters would do the whole putting their hand down on the ground to avoid knee strikes rules exploit and how some fighters who end up taking a knee in a "grounded" position will start flopping around the ground like soccer plays that get fouled do.

Agree and on the flip side loosen up the rules on upkicks. Grappling is part of fighting, if you don't want to get stuck on the ground then learn how to escape, but the problem is some of the restrictions on striking from both positions (which had previously been allowed in Pride, and are still allowed in ONE, without any apparent uptick in major fighter injury) contributes to the adoption of lay and pray as a viable strategy.

I always get a bit sad when I see working class guys kicking each others heads in for money. On average not the brightest lights.
Not much different from all the other sportsball games.

Bas Rutten is nice though, interesting that he prays a rosary daily, how it calms him, while he is quite an ADHD person. Great to see the spirit at work in a person.

I like boxing training btw, sparring, great workout.

This reminded me to watch this hilarious video again:

What I didn't like about Strickland in that presser was his reaching across Volkanovski face as if he wasn't there. That was pure trailer trash. Volk, who is proven bad ass, deserves much better treatment than that. Maybe Du Plessis will humble him, I hope so.

Colvington blaming Trump bias for his loss. 🤡
Yeah.... I liked Covington and all that as a heel... But honestly he looked pretty awful compared to previous fights.

His Usman fight where he finished the final 2 rounds with a broken Jaw was awesome. And the second Usman fight was great. He mopped Masvidal... But this fight was very disappointing... Especially since I was pulling for him.

Colby never deserved a title shot, UFC really needs to get its matchmaking sorted out. Wouldn't mind shaking up the metagame with rule tweaks as another poster mentioned. Been following the sport since McGregor's rise and it's never been less interesting. So few fighters with charisma and skill. Mostly just the company picking out fighters that they think have 'star potential' and trying to force their careers to happen.

Colby never deserved a title shot, UFC really needs to get its matchmaking sorted out. Wouldn't mind shaking up the metagame with rule tweaks as another poster mentioned. Been following the sport since McGregor's rise and it's never been less interesting. So few fighters with charisma and skill. Mostly just the company picking out fighters that they think have 'star potential' and trying to force their careers to happen.
He beat Masvidal. There's a strong case to be made that he was indeed worthy....
Plus he brings in tons and tons of money.

1/2 of organized sports is about promotion.

He beat Masvidal. There's a strong case to be made that he was indeed worthy....
Plus he brings in tons and tons of money.

1/2 of organized sports is about promotion.

Masvidal has been nicking a living on the back of his flying knee, the man was never an elite fighter. Colby's only 2 wins in the last 4 (!) years were over a washed up Woodley and a washed up Masvidal. In the same time frame Belal Muhammad had 7 wins and 0 losses over pretty much the entire division minus Colby and the champs. Yes promotion is a thing and I get that, but each time they try to force a cringe fighter like Colby and it ends up with such an underwhelming result, it hurts the organization's credibility. When they reward fighters for sitting out and not fighting, in the long run it's gonna bite them.

Masvidal has been nicking a living on the back of his flying knee, the man was never an elite fighter. Colby's only 2 wins in the last 4 (!) years were over a washed up Woodley and a washed up Masvidal. In the same time frame Belal Muhammad had 7 wins and 0 losses over pretty much the entire division minus Colby and the champs. Yes promotion is a thing and I get that, but each time they try to force a cringe fighter like Colby and it ends up with such an underwhelming result, it hurts the organization's credibility. When they reward fighters for sitting out and not fighting, in the long run it's gonna bite them.
That's absolutely a fair view.

I am just thinking of it from a branding point of view... Which is what Dana is a mastermind at.

That said... I don't think Colby is back in that limelight for a while...if at all.

Colby was a shadow of his former self, acted like he was afraid of getting hit. Really disappointing fight from him (and I liked his style pre-injury).

Muhammad will get the next title shot at 170 but I think Shavkat beats both him and Leon. Dude is 18-0 overall, 6-0 in the UFC with every win by finish. Admittedly some of those wins were in regional shows in Kazakhstan and Russia which may not be the toughest competition but still, he's fought some tough guys since coming to the UFC.

Colby was a shadow of his former self, acted like he was afraid of getting hit. Really disappointing fight from him (and I liked his style pre-injury).

Muhammad will get the next title shot at 170 but I think Shavkat beats both him and Leon. Dude is 18-0 overall, 6-0 in the UFC with every win by finish. Admittedly some of those wins were in regional shows in Kazakhstan and Russia which may not be the toughest competition but still, he's fought some tough guys since coming to the UFC.
Personally I'm not rooting for any more kabibs. No doubt there are several great Dagastanee muzzies fighters. I'm just not interested in seeing them win.

That said. If we can get rid of clown shoe faggots like OMalley... Id be really happy

Huge fan of the product ONE is putting on....it's a shame they're such a disaster from a business perspective and might not be around much longer. If they were serious about trying to break into the US market they should've bought Bellator and beefed up their roster of western fighters especially in the heavier weight classes...they do have some marketable fighters (Mighty Mouse of course, the Lee siblings, Garry Tonon) but absolutely zero in the way of depth. I'd personally love to see them get bigger here as a vehicle for raising the profile of the kickboxing rule sets...Chingiz Allazov is incredible to watch but a guy like that is never going to be a breakout star in the west.

Back