Bitcoin and Crypto Thread

Yeah, ATMs are expensive, but they do have their uses. I used one near me in 2021 to obtain enough non-KYC BTC to allow me to begin trading on Bisq (thanks Redbeard).

I've also used an ATM to get paper wallets for small amounts under $100 to use as gifts. Perfect for including in birthday cards to the nieces and nephews (along with a $2 bill)! I'm the weird uncle.

Sadly, fewer and fewer ATMs continue to offer the paper wallet option (I think CoinFlip might be the last in the USA, and I'm not even sure they still do it).

When you look at the 200 day MA and you realize that we're looking into major dollar devaluation and rate cuts, the only thing you have to "worry" about is volatility. But as chance points out there, most realize where BTC is going so any "major" drops are just buying opps.

Back in 2021 I had a friend who started a group chat hyping all the crypto up starting early in the year right when the bull run started. I resisted for a long time, but finally caved in around September, basically 3 years ago now. This same friend is someone I trust and he's made a fortune from investing in crypto so I figure, why not listen to him? Well, that was a bad idea. My portfolio decreased 300% since then. Granted, it wasn't much money ($3500) and he even loaned me $1000 that he said I can pay back once it 10x's. So, not a ton of money, basically a paycheck, but still. Pretty infurating, and wish he apologized for it.

Either way, now I'm sitting on $850 in my portfolio (erm, $900 now...XRP is now my biggest holding and it just increased another 20% today after the SEC/Ripple ruling). My second biggest holding was Cardano, and 3rd was TVK/ERN that were each half of Cardano. Then a small handful of other ****coins that I only put $50 in, like MANA/ATOM, just for kicks.

So now I'm left wondering what to make of it. With the recent XRP news, i'm tempted to convert everything into that, and it seems risky to put all eggs in one basket, but it's not a lot of money so the risk is minimal. I just hate how I bought them during the bull run, but I have to live with that choice and selling now would be dumb because even if I rebought them all in a few months for the same price, I wouldn't have a net gain, so it would be risky for a very modest amount of immediate liquidity in selling them now.

What are your thoughts? To be clear, I am pretty convinced the technology in crypto isn't as innovative or "disruptive" as people think, I do believe crypto is all hype and manipulation, basically a Ponzi scheme, but, that doesn't mean you can't still take advantage of it to build wealth.

Last edited:
Back in 2021 I had a friend who started a group chat hyping all the crypto up starting early in the year right when the bull run started. I resisted for a long time, but finally caved in around September, basically 3 years ago now. This same friend is someone I trust and he's made a fortune from investing in crypto so I figure, why not listen to him? Well, that was a bad idea. My portfolio decreased 300% since then. Granted, it wasn't much money ($3500) and he even loaned me $1000 that he said I can pay back once it 10x's. So, not a ton of money, basically a paycheck, but still. Pretty infurating, and wish he apologized for it.

Either way, now I'm sitting on $850 in my portfolio (erm, $900 now...XRP is now my biggest holding and it just increased another 20% today after the SEC/Ripple ruling). My second biggest holding was Cardano, and 3rd was TVK/ERN that were each half of Cardano. Then a small handful of other ****coins that I only put $50 in, like MANA/ATOM, just for kicks.

So now I'm left wondering what to make of it. With the recent XRP news, i'm tempted to convert everything into that, and it seems risky to put all eggs in one basket, but it's not a lot of money so the risk is minimal. I just hate how I bought them during the bull run, but I have to live with that choice and selling now would be dumb because even if I rebought them all in a few months for the same price, I wouldn't have a net gain, so it would be risky for a very modest amount of immediate liquidity in selling them now.

What are your thoughts? To be clear, I am pretty convinced the technology in crypto isn't as innovative or "disruptive" as people think, I do believe crypto is all hype and manipulation, basically a Ponzi scheme, but, that doesn't mean you can't still take advantage of it to build wealth.
There is BTC, and there is "crypto". Have you been reading this thread for very long (or at all)?

No, how is BTC any different from the rest of cryptocurrencies other than its popularity and acceptance?
I'm sorry, not trying to be mean or dismissive, but it's way too late for summaries on this topic. So much has been written here and on the internet, just ask one of the AI things (perplexity or some such aggregator) for a summary if you must.

I'm sorry, not trying to be mean or dismissive, but it's way too late for summaries on this topic. So much has been written here and on the internet, just ask one of the AI things (perplexity or some such aggregator) for a summary if you must.
Oh get that, but crypto talk gives me a headache. To be clear, I know about the various technologies between the different cryptocurrencies and how they interplay with decentralization and all that, but I don't really buy any of it. Wasn't really sure what this topic was on anyway so figured I'd try posting. I'll figure something out.

BTC biggest, proof of work, first mover, most secure network for the longest, institutional investors, the discovery of MONEY.

- You’ve already written off this money, you knew it was gambling, don’t hold anything against your friend.
- I was you in 2021, I wanted bigger gains than BTC before I fully understood the chasm of difference between alts and BTC
- my opinion on XRP, (worth exactly 2 sats) is: the only coin more scammy is (was) Hex.

Learn from it, in the overall scheme you got off easy, because you used some judgement and knew it was gambling. There are many people who risked big with life changing results.

Maybe XRP has another bull run, maybe, some alts probably will. I think there will be a cycle where people expect an alt bull run that never happens. Who knows if it’s this one or the next…

Sure, some people make quick money in alts, and even more lose it quickly. Alts come and go, and it is zero sum. Bitcoin isn’t going anywhere, and is not zero sum…it just keeps going.

Dabbling in alts was a part of my Bitcoin education, and it was worth every penny.

I highly, highly, recommend reading The Bitcoin Standard, by Saifedean Ammous. If you want the best return on $20 and 10 hours a human can make, it was my catapult into the rabbit hole.

Last edited:
Maybe XRP has another bull run, maybe, some alts probably will. I think there will be a cycle where people expect an alt bull run that never happens. Who knows if it’s this one or the next…
I actually predicted last year that this might be the year/cycle where people who previously thought alts would catch fire again, and instead BTC dominance would reign and the other would poop out. It looks as though that is happening, especially with many calling for SOL to even flip ETH right now, which is just high comedy for me.
Why Bitcoin and nothing else? Read this:
I don't see the link or next part ... is it blank for others?

Back