Words and Phrases You Don't Hear Anymore

Maddox

Protestant
Heritage
What are some of your favorite words/phrases that were popular in the past but have now gone the way of the dodo bird?

One phrase for me that sticks out is someone telling someone else they are "out of line." This phrase was most popular back in the 50s and 60s and has seemingly been slowly erased from our vocabulary ever since. IMO, it has something to do with people being allowed to say whatever they want to without fear of repercussions (like getting socked in the face).

I often wonder why I don't hear it during these debates when a person on the Left personally attacks someone on the Right in a way that is not in the spirit of debate. In the past, you'd hear a response like, "Sir! You are out of line!"

I'd like to bring this one back as it's needed now more than ever to stop others from saying whatever the hell they want and show some decorum around others.

I recently remarked to my wife how certain pop culture sayings of years ago that "everyone knows" are simply outdated.

Booty Call would be one.

I think Baby Mama has also fallen out of favor.

I can't say that I like either one of those, though.

I got a homework a few years back of writing old expressions and why they were rayciss. One I haven't seen in a while is calling the pink-ish pencil "skin color
This reminded me of a physical therapy session a few years ago. The woman asked me to sit with my legs crossed and I said, "You mean "Indian-style?" She looked at me in shock...as if I had just pulled out a Nazi flag and started waving it around.

One phrase for me that sticks out is someone telling someone else they are "out of line." This phrase was most popular back in the 50s and 60s and has seemingly been slowly erased from our vocabulary ever since.
This could be regional or the fact that I have a lot of relatives that are still around that are pretty old, but I definitely have heard this within the last few years, and I'm certain I've even said it within the last 3-5, maybe within the last year. I like it too, so good call on that one.

I don't even understand anymore the appeal or claim to "racism" on any of these things. They at best are references to actions or cultures but things like the word "oriental" or "indian style" or any number of terms that people act like are bad have absolutely nothing to do with "racism." It's just dumb people trying to find ways to be offended and use emotion against you in clown world.

Niggardly.
Woke culture is so deep in California that I swear even the word renege, as in renege on a deal, takes the air out of a conversation sometimes. Maybe it's because sometimes people spell and pronounce it renig.

Also, I haven't heard people say Jerry-rig in a long time... Mostly because fewer and fewer people even have the skills or desire to jerry rig anything back into working form.

I re-heard two things last week that I have not heard in a decade, and it reminded me that I miss these phrases:

1. Let's blow this popsicle stand.
2. He/she is a big galoot.

At the very least we need to bring 'galoot' back as an insult, since "faggot" and "retard" and "cunt" get such an outsized reaction. I think the shock factor of being called a galoot would be delightful. I also favor calling people (especially women) "pigs". That really hits home, for some reason.

I dig it (for when you like something).
That's bad (that's cool).
Scholar-rig (When you MacGyver something).
Moon cricket.
Wetback.
Queer (still used but lost some of it's meaning over time).
Punk.
That's gay (people used to say this to describe things they didn't like until the phrase was shamed into disuse).
Fin ($5).

I re-heard two things last week that I have not heard in a decade, and it reminded me that I miss these phrases:

1. Let's blow this popsicle stand.
2. He/she is a big galoot.

At the very least we need to bring 'galoot' back as an insult, since "faggot" and "retard" and "cunt" get such an outsized reaction. I think the shock factor of being called a galoot would be delightful. I also favor calling people (especially women) "pigs". That really hits home, for some reason.

Up until the mid 80's teenagers could casually say "fag" in movies. It's like another world.

Last edited:
Back