What are you listening to?

Got to hand it to the boomers, their music was pretty good.

Absolutely. But that has more do with the fact that back then there for over 100 record companies that gave a chance to everyone with a unique sound or style. Today, only about 3 companies control the entire US music industry and dictate what is allowed and not allowed to be produced. That is why almost everything today sound exactly the same and is largely disposable and forgettable garbage. This is where AI and online streaming may be the only way for independent artists to be heard.

I've been warped by the rain, driven by the snow
I'm drunk and dirty, don't you know
But I'm still willin'

Out on the road late last night
I'd see my pretty Alice in every headlight
Alice, Dallas Alice

And I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari
Tehachapi to Tonopah
Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made
Driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed
And if you give me weed, whites and wine
And you show me a sign
And I'll be willin' to be movin'

And I've been kicked by the wind, robbed by the sleet
Had my head stove in but I'm still on my feet
And I'm still willin'

And I smuggled some smokes and folks from Mexico
Baked by the sun every time I go to Mexico
Oh but I'm still

And I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari
Tehachapi to Tonopah
Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made
Driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed
And if you give me weed, whites and wine
And you show me a sign
And I'll be willin' to be movin'

Last edited:
The Exotica sub-genre (focused on tropical themes and international spies) of Big Band is probably my favorite of all. Modern Electric Swing is a close second.

All of the music I listen to lately is stuff that's come out from the indie scene within the past 15 or so years, or classics/oldies (but mostly the former). I cannot stand any and all 90s and 00s music and tbh even most 80s stuff. Songs from that era too insincere and clearly manufactured for mass appeal. I prefer music thats made with no audience in mind, but is made out of genuine express from the artist, and this is honestly only possible from independant artists for the most part. Most of it, unfortunately, is garbage, but the stuff that is good is seriously good.

Anyway, people sure love to shvt on modern music but if you keep an open mind and are willing to take the time you can find lots of gems like this:

Last edited:
Back