Video Games and Gaming Technology (In A Positive Light)

Have any of you played balders gate 3? It looks pretty good. I may grab it on Black Friday.
I played it, but found it to be a little overhyped. The story isn't quite up to the expectations set for the series with the original games. The gameplay isn't bad, but I personally prefer the Divinity Original Sin ruleset to the D&D 5ed ruleset.

I'd give it a 8 out of 10. It does deliver a decent gaming experience, but it's not the 10/10 everybody is making it out to be.

It's a very good game.
BUT it's not "Baldur's Gate 3", it's "Very Good RPG 3".

If you come from BG1 and BG2, expecting a sequel, you'll be disappointed.
Combat system is now turn based (as in Divinity Original Sin, by the same developer).

Combat system in bg1 and 2 was turn based. For some of the boss battles in ascension you pretty much have to use the option for autopause after each turn or you’ll be overrun
The theme and story are far from BG (even if you take the "Dark Urge" origin character).

This sounds fine, the bhaal spawn saga hit its finish in bg2 tob

On the pros side :
- Very solid voice acting, to me it carries the game.
- I felt invested in the companions stories (I was not in the older BGs).
- Minsc and Jaheira are present.
- Quests are fun, impactful and meaningful.
- Humour and gravity mix well, going from battling a squirrel to saving a girl from a crazy snake druid.

Cons :
- Turn base combat, this is not BG battle system.
This is the bg combat system from the first 2 games, same for kotor 1 and 2

- Max level 12, without mods

Perhaps I’ll wait a year or 2 for the expansion

- Designed to be played as a team, XP doesn't depend on the number of team members, don't expect your Kensai / Mage to be a murder machine.
- Even the most OP builds won't give you the power thrill of an old Time Stopping, instant casting Sorcerer, capable of destroying an army before they could even draw their weapons.
- The gay stuff is midly present : Gale should have been renamed Gayle, and a couple of gay couples are a bit too much in your face ("we are a gay couple, please notice us!"). But sincerely this is not something that poped up often, just enough to be noticeable.

TL;DR :
- if you're a hardcore BG fan, expecting a sequel, 5/10.
- if you want to play a very good RPG, somewhat linked to the BG universe 9/10.

This has me thinking it will surely get an expansion and instead of buying it this years bf I can wait for Black Friday 2024 or 2025

Maybe I wasn't clear.
In the first BGs, everyone was moving and attacking at the same time.

No they certainly were not. You are given the option to turn the auto pause function and turn on attack rolls, for each attack you can see the individual roll on a 1d20 sided die where a 1 is a critical miss and 20 is a critical hit.

If you’re simply looking at the animation and see you’re fighter swing his sword once, when you had just activated greater whirlwind (ten attacks in one turn ) you might think you only did one attack but you can see the results of all ten attacks if you view the rolls.

You were simply going off iof the animation when you thought that the combat was not turn based, when in reality it most definitely was turn based
In BG3, only one character can move and attack, while the others are waiting.
So if you have 20 characters in a fight, you can sometimes wait 1 minute before being able to attack.

An other way to present it :
In BG1 and BG2, if you don't pause the combat, your party will die because the ennemies attack them all at once.

You can turn on the auto pause in bg 1-2 as well as use ai scripts
In BG3, if you don't pause the combat, nothing happens. Your character will just wait for an action to be made.
I’m reading that the bg3 can take 120 hours, and I can see why

All you had to say was that bg1 and 2 use the infinity engine, which is based in dnd 3rd edition ruleset.

Bg 3 used the 5th edition rule set , it’s slightly different both are turn based

Have any of you played balders gate 3? It looks pretty good. I may grab it on Black Friday.

Easily in my top 5 favourite games, Divinity: Original 2 by the same studio was up there too (but now easily surpassed by BG3).

Turn-based combat is my jam (Civilization, X-COM and Slay the Spire being other favourites) and the fact that it's an incredible RPG is the icing on top. The world is immersive, the characters are realistic and complex, the quests are captivating and the gameplay is immensely satisfying.

I'd say Act 3 lacks polish and the endings could have been a lot better, but 95% of the game was 10/10 for me so I'm pretty happy with it overall.

BG3 is not really a CRPG. There's no alignments, and none of your choices matter. 99% of your choices will not matter. You will get one of two endings no matter what you do. I did a Dark Urge playthrough, slaughtered every NPC I could find, at the end everyone celebrated me as a hero.

Game is also super easy, it needs mods in order to be a challenge, even on the hardest difficulty. I installed some mods to increase enemies HP by 300% and bosses hp by 1200% and I still steamrolled the final fight without much effort.

7/10. Good but BG3 is nothing special. Far below BG2. Still game of the year for 2023, but that's because 99% of games today are 2/10.

BG3 is not really a CRPG. There's no alignments, and none of your choices matter. 99% of your choices will not matter. You will get one of two endings no matter what you do. I did a Dark Urge playthrough, slaughtered every NPC I could find, at the end everyone celebrated me as a hero.

Game is also super easy, it needs mods in order to be a challenge, even on the hardest difficulty. I installed some mods to increase enemies HP by 300% and bosses hp by 1200% and I still steamrolled the final fight without much effort.

7/10. Good but BG3 is nothing special. Far below BG2. Still game of the year for 2023, but that's because 99% of games today are 2/10.
Did you play Hogwarts?

I just finished Guardians of the Galaxy and it was a pleasant surprise. I think the lackluster live service Marvel's Avengers flop of a game tarnished the idea of the Guardians of the Galaxy game. Which is unfortunate because the Guardians of the Galaxy is a great game. After it came to game pass I read a handful of the reviews on Xbox praising it's story, characters, and game play. Lot's of comments on the amazing soundtrack as well. I didn't get around to catching it while it was on game pass but I picked it up on a Xbox sale for peanuts. It's a very story driven game with it touching on some darker elements as you progress through. The characters are what you might expect from a bunch of comic book super heroes. The game play is good but not revolutionary... seems to be a lot of simple puzzles that and series of events that are just there to fill in between the action. The soundtrack and throw backs to the 80s are superb and a huge reason for my overall enjoyment of playing the game. If Guardians of the Galaxy seems like something you might enjoy then you should pick it up and enjoy it.

Gamer moment:
Sometimes in battle you get the prompts to do a "huddle" were everything stops and the characters say something and you pick a option of dialog to get them fired up. After you say your piece one of many amazing 80s songs will play and your characters are healed and buffed up for a moment in the battle... usually shifting things in your favor. My moment came when I kept getting bludgeoned to death by a tough group of enemies five times in a row. It was about to be the sixth time in a row I fell in battle but then it happened......... the prompt to call a huddle appeared and I gave my crew a majestic pep talk, that cow bell from Don't Fear the Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult kicked in and I knew right then and there.... there would be no 7th attempt. It was just one of those moments in gaming that made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

(not my video I just found it on YouTube)

TLDR: Guardians of the Galaxy rocks

This will be the level of woke and pander in all AAA gaming in the not so distant future.

BATTLE YOUR EXES
DISAPPOINT YOUR PARENTS
FIND YOURSELF

capsule_616x353.jpg

After finishing Guardians of the Galaxy I was looking for a new single player game to play. I bought State of Decay with all its DLC on sale awhile back and decided to give it a whirl. After booting it up I happened to notice something on the homepage.... no spoilers, but I will share the image bellow.

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-06 at 3.57.51 PM.webp

I decide to press on and start a new game anyway. Then I have to pick my starting pair which consisted of.....

- The Surly Siblings: Black Woman, Black Man
- Old Buddies: Asian Man, White/Latino man (hard to tell)
- Perpetual Breakup: White Woman, White Woman (lesbians for extra wokeness)
- Odd Couple: Latino Man, White Woman

My curiosity got the best of me after seeing this so I google "State of Decay 2 woke." Turns out I am not the only one who noticed. This game is supposed to take place in Americas north west but apparently you would think it takes place in a village in the Congo. Everyone says that aspect is really the only woke elements about the game.

854f9a.webp

After finishing Guardians of the Galaxy I was looking for a new single player game to play. I bought State of Decay with all its DLC on sale awhile back and decided to give it a whirl. After booting it up I happened to notice something on the homepage.... no spoilers, but I will share the image bellow.

View attachment 949

I decide to press on and start a new game anyway. Then I have to pick my starting pair which consisted of.....

- The Surly Siblings: Black Woman, Black Man
- Old Buddies: Asian Man, White/Latino man (hard to tell)
- Perpetual Breakup: White Woman, White Woman (lesbians for extra wokeness)
- Odd Couple: Latino Man, White Woman

My curiosity got the best of me after seeing this so I google "State of Decay 2 woke." Turns out I am not the only one who noticed. This game is supposed to take place in Americas north west but apparently you would think it takes place in a village in the Congo. Everyone says that aspect is really the only woke elements about the game.

View attachment 951

Judging from some of the comments I can choose who I save and recruit to my camps and kick out anyone I want from my camps. So to combat the white hate in the game I think I will role play it like a white supremist and just save the white people I find and feed the rest to the zombies.
fH6t-8.gif

@Ember
I will play Robocop but outside of a few exceptions I don't buy and play games on release. I have been burned too many times. Also even if a good game releases in pretty good shape..... within a year it will be patched up and a better game, thats just the reality of modern gaming.

My favorite games lately have been Hunt Showdown and Slay the Spire.

Hunt is an extraction shooter, like a mesh between left 4 dead and call of duty. It is one of the few games I have played that still fills me with genuine fear.

I also play some diablo 2 here and there. Got it on the switch, it's nice to play on console singleplayer.

Back