Video Games and Gaming Technology (In A Positive Light)

Thanks for starting the thread in this way to heed off the constant naysayers in the previous thread.

I was about to start a new Cyberpunk 2077 campaign this week funnily enough but this new forum business obviously took precedent. Fingers crossed I can start next week though.

Been playing Day of Defeat (dod) recently. Very good game, doesn't feel dated or anything, outside of the empty servers. It's a WW2 shooter centered around classes, so you have a few options. Some are bad from my experience, but they're still options. There are 2 versions, but I prefer the older one. I join the Source version (newer one) when the old one is very empty.
Servers themselves are also really nice and full of old people. I usually join this Argentine one even though I don't understand Spanish a lot. Source also has a good Brazilian one, but I don't talk in voice chat a lot on that game, yet. I really miss the community server thing. Valve made a horrible update to TF2 that made all servers soulless casual ones, along with making a silly hat game be balanced around the few trannies still playing competitive.

Been playing Day of Defeat (dod) recently. Very good game, doesn't feel dated or anything, outside of the empty servers. It's a WW2 shooter centered around classes, so you have a few options. Some are bad from my experience, but they're still options. There are 2 versions, but I prefer the older one. I join the Source version (newer one) when the old one is very empty.
Servers themselves are also really nice and full of old people. I usually join this Argentine one even though I don't understand Spanish a lot. Source also has a good Brazilian one, but I don't talk in voice chat a lot on that game, yet. I really miss the community server thing. Valve made a horrible update to TF2 that made all servers soulless casual ones, along with making a silly hat game be balanced around the few trannies still playing competitive.
I will pop into DoD:Source when I just want a quick 10 mins of shooting.

But nothing beats the sound of whacking someone in the head with the buttstock of a Garand in the original DoD!

Been trying to get all the achievements on New Vegas for around 2 years now. I only need one now, which is the awful caravan one where you have to win caravan 30 times. It's making me insane. I played it a total of ~20 times but only 6 were wins. It's so boring it's unreal. I tried to cheat the achievement with console commands, but it's a specific challenge that you can't cheat with the console. My current setup is that I have a kind of decent, not very meta caravan deck, and I've been farming off one guy on the NCR outpost on the Strip. I've been on that outpost for such a long time that I killed everyone except him because I was annoyed at their scripted NPC messages. At one point he ran out of money to bet on caravan, so I had to pickpocket him to give him 5k caps, then forgot that was all my money, so I had to then scavenge around for money to bet myself.

I'd give up, but it's the last achievement. I'm in it to win it now.

I used to be an achievement hunter myself, and I guess I still am if they're "doable," but I won't take the the time to try to complete some of the crazier requirements. For example, years ago I was playing Mad Max, which I highly recommend if you enjoy open world games, and had all but one or two achievements to go before 100% completion. I looked into how to get one of those final trophies and the requirement was that you complete all these lesser achievements within the game throughout the world that were just ridiculous. One was getting hit in the head by debris whenever there's a storm going on or something like that, and storms only occur every so often and at random locations, and it's not guaranteed there's even going to be any debris lol. Others were dependent on enemy encounters during car races, etc.

I do like achievement hunting in games that I enjoy because I feel like it adds a little longevity to the game after the main mission has completed, but on the other hand my backlog is so bloated that I just try to get to the finish line these days.

I'm pretty good at games, but there are a few achievements that are ridiculous. I only 100% games I really like nowadays, also short ones if I want to squeeze the money I paid.
One of my favorite games, Europa Universalis 4, has more than 350 achievements that are mostly "do X as Y nation". I'm never getting even half of those achievements. Still, a lot of them are very fun to do. I had a blast getting the Portugal achievement that requires you to have colonies all the way in Asia before the 16th century. Had a death battle with Mozambique on the last year, lol. Amazing game.

Been trying to get all the achievements on New Vegas for around 2 years now. I only need one now, which is the awful caravan one where you have to win caravan 30 times. It's making me insane. I played it a total of ~20 times but only 6 were wins. It's so boring it's unreal. I tried to cheat the achievement with console commands, but it's a specific challenge that you can't cheat with the console. My current setup is that I have a kind of decent, not very meta caravan deck, and I've been farming off one guy on the NCR outpost on the Strip. I've been on that outpost for such a long time that I killed everyone except him because I was annoyed at their scripted NPC messages. At one point he ran out of money to bet on caravan, so I had to pickpocket him to give him 5k caps, then forgot that was all my money, so I had to then scavenge around for money to bet myself.

I'd give up, but it's the last achievement. I'm in it to win it now.
Some of the guys you play against have a much better deck and are easier to beat

Some of the guys you play against have a much better deck and are easier to beat
I got a list of all the NPCs that play it, not counting the traveling merchants. Almost all of them I either lost 5 times to, or I killed on accident or by advancing quests. I ended up choosing the guy on the Strip because I got like 3 wins in a row against him.

I got a list of all the NPCs that play it, not counting the traveling merchants. Almost all of them I either lost 5 times to, or I killed on accident or by advancing quests. I ended up choosing the guy on the Strip because I got like 3 wins in a row against him.
Are you playing with viva new Vegas? I tried a playthrough earlier this year and it helped a ton with keeping the game stable

Are you playing with viva new Vegas? I tried a playthrough earlier this year and it helped a ton with keeping the game stable
Completely vanilla, outside of a few changes I made to the config file. I like some of the mods, but they're kind of a hassle to set up. Not worth the trouble. I usually only have at most 10 mods in games I like.
It's stable enough for me and I know a lot of the glitches already, so they aren't much of an issue.

Yes it took me hours to set up viva new Vegas. The mods are to keep the game stable and improve the ui and graphics. Totally worth the setup time, for me. It’s worth replaying once every couple years similar to mass effect and red dead 2. Amazing games

I am loving Starfield. More than any game I've played, maybe ever,it's a game that you really must pick a path. There is so much to do that it can actually be a problem. It's like, I had so much I needed to do that I wound up taking a nap. It's a game where being disciplined and picking just a few things to focus on really helps rather than just being more passive.

After about 60 hours into Starfield, I found I was mostly enjoying the photo mode, so lately I've been just taking pictures and actually turning that into a video project.

I love Starfield unashamedly. It's my favorite game in years.

Yes it took me hours to set up viva new Vegas. The mods are to keep the game stable and improve the ui and graphics. Totally worth the setup time, for me. It’s worth replaying once every couple years similar to mass effect and red dead 2. Amazing games

New Vegas is my favorite Bethesda game. I would welcome an all-out remaster or even a remake.

But first, Elder Scrolls 6.

New Vegas is barely a Bethesda game. It was mostly Obsidian that did Obsidian things. Fallout 3 feels like retarded stone age trash after playing NV. Luck based skill checks, the amount of times you just run away or rely on NPCs to help you, etc. The DLCs are also the most horrendous thing created.
I also got admittedly filtered by the isometric Fallout games. Maybe it was the zoomer in me or something, but I really like other retro games. I feel it was mostly the mouse controls and the general grindy nature of it.

Back