• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

The Movie Thread

The Case for Christ about former atheist Lee Strobel trying to disprove the Christian message that Jesus was crucified and rose from the dead after his wife converted after a woman saved her child from choking. Good film :)

The book is really good as well. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't read it!

I ended up watching Enola Holmes with my family over the weekend. This movie is about Sherlock Holmes' little sister, who is a teen girl boss who breaks through boundaries and barriers in society, and can do anything she sets her mind on, including fight men and beat them.

The movie is extremely subversive, because not only is her character type woke, but the story line actually places her at the center of a process of undermining and overthrowing the old English social order in favor of the kind of modern democracy we've all been indoctrinated to believe in.

My brother is primarily liberal in outlook, but he is aware of my views on things, and is able to see where I am coming from to some extent. When I called the movie subversive, and said I primarily sided with the villains in the story, he understood the point of view I was coming from.

Anyway, the main character is very perky and likeable, and I really liked the way they portrayed English society near the end of Victoria's reign. The propogandists who made this movie did a good job.

I would actually recommend the movie, as long as you are awake to the subversion being presented.

Last edited:
A very nice, engaging movie, you can watch it with kids without worry, not a single woke crapp, is almost unbelievable such a movie was made in 2024.
If you watch it with women or kids, towards the end have around tissues, but it will end lovely don't worry.

Watched this last night with my younger brothers. I've always liked this film ever since it came out. Anthony Hopkins is excellent as always. Pretty much the whole Exorcist subgenre is cheap horror but this one goes for the realism. It also serves as a good commentary on the original Exorcist. This movie actually presents faith in an uplifting way, which is unusual for the genre.

I've been meaning to read the book for a while now:
https://thecatholicgiftstore.com/products/the-rite-the-making-of-a-modern-exorcist

Just finished Pearl: An Xtraordinary Origin Story. I posted previously about the movie, X, which I thought was decent (maybe a 6/10) , but set up incredibly well for a prequel. Pearl is that prequel, and it is indeed sensational. It isn't quite a horror film, but among horror-ish movies, it's the best I've seen in some time.
Mia Goth gives a performance that I can't believe didn't earn her an Oscar nomination, and the rest of the cast is solid across the board. The cinematography is gorgeous. The script is virtually flawless. It all comes together so well, a testament to top-notch direction by Ti West. Overall I'd have to say it's the best film I've seen this year, though I'd certainly recommend watching the inferior-but-still-entertaing previous movie first. Here is a scene of Mia Goth that absolutely should have at least scored her an Oscar nomination. There are definitely spoilers in the scene.

Strange how they are all old now, after 40 years.

If I see someone that I remember as a child or a young teen, but they are now in their 50s, it is very striking,. If I see someone that was in their 40s and is now in their 80s, they seem unchanged. They were old then, and they're old now.

How come the girls have aged better than the guys!? Twilight zone dude...

The Walk was a good movie, starring Joseph Gordon Levitt as Philippe Petit, the Frenchman who hatched a plan to walk a tightrope between the twin towers and actually did it. The movie was well done and captured the conception, planning, and act and was a palm sweating thriller. It was a bizarre stunt but Petit was clearly as intelligent and creative as he was daring, otherwise he never could have pulled it off and survived. In those saner times, his sentence only required that he perform an act for children in a park.

I re-watched the Eminem film '8 Mile' the other day. It occurred to me while I was watching it, that this was probably the last film ever made to feature a white hero and a cast of all black villains.

8 Mile was released in 2002. Can anyone think of any films since then with a white good guy and coloured bad guys? Serious question.

Training Day

One of my favourite films and one of the best from Denzel. Think i'll watch this again.

Watched this last night with my younger brothers. I've always liked this film ever since it came out. Anthony Hopkins is excellent as always. Pretty much the whole Exorcist subgenre is cheap horror but this one goes for the realism. It also serves as a good commentary on the original Exorcist. This movie actually presents faith in an uplifting way, which is unusual for the genre.

I've been meaning to read the book for a while now:
https://thecatholicgiftstore.com/products/the-rite-the-making-of-a-modern-exorcist

Anthony Hopkins still doesn't get enough respect. Superb in so many movies.
Loved him in The Edge, also an older film.

Last edited:
8 Mile was released in 2002. Can anyone think of any films since then with a white good guy and coloured bad guys? Serious question.
Surprisingly-and mostly unintentionally-several recent Marvel films of all things. They’ve been trying to push “Kang the Conqueror” at first through various tv shows-that almost no one actually watched-and then in a film (Ant Man and the Wasp “Quantumania”) few bothered to watch in theatres. Old Kang hasn’t gone over very well given his poor introduction-and subsequent defeat by Ant Man of all heroes-despite being a somewhat formidable and vaguely interesting villain in the original comics. He’s no successor to Thanos on film, though.

They actually ended up firing Jonathan Majors who played Kang based on “rumors” of bad behavior-granted, this may have been just the excuse Marvel wanted to get rid of a character they realized wasn’t working out…Supposedly Deadpool may “clip” him from future installments but we’ll have to wait and see…

There was also a race-swapped “High Evolutionary” in Guardians 3. He actually got to do some evil stuff and was a somewhat formidable and despicable villain. Granted, he was more of a villain to a CGI raccoon than the human protagonist played by Chris Pratt-a man Hollywood seems determined to hate based on a series of vague and nebulous undefined “reasons”. Granted, Pratt has also claimed to be at the very least a “nominal Christian” so they must have reason to hate him for that if nothing else.

Training Day

One of my favourite films and one of the best from Denzel. Think i'll watch this again.

If you enjoy Anthony Hopkins you should really see 'The Father' if you haven't yet. It's a very dark but human story and one of his most believable and incredibly performances. It's also just an amazing film without woke stuff it's all about the performances and the story, something truly unique in this age.

Last edited:
If you enjoy Anthony Hopkins you should really see 'The Father' if you haven't yet. It's a very dark but human story and one of his most believable and incredibly performances. It's also just an amazing film without woke stuff it's all about the performances and the story, something truly unique in this age.

Yes i've been meaning to watch this, Red'. So many films have been passing me by lately. Appreciate the reminder.

Strange how they are all old now, after 40 years.

If I see someone that I remember as a child or a young teen, but they are now in their 50s, it is very striking,. If I see someone that was in their 40s and is now in their 80s, they seem unchanged. They were old then, and they're old now.
I always find it odd when I see an actress that was say early 20s when I was mid 30s and see how she seems to have aged past me

Training Day

Just rewatched The Edge. Possibly my favorite man-vs-nature movie, along with The Grey, which I think is like its spiritual successor.

I'll echo the Edge as very good. It's written by David Mamet (Glen Gary Glen Ross) and the action scenes are incredible (and realistic, with no CGI). Bart the Bear was a famous trained bear who is in just about every nature movie of that era requiring bears.

The Siege of Jadotville is a modern Irish / South African film (which is why it doesn't suck) that tells the story of a Zulu-type battle the Irish Army had versus overwhelming odds during the Congo Crisis of the 1960s, while acting as peacekeepers.

The film is basic old fashioned action moviemaking ,the way films used to be--straightforward plot without any Christopher Nolan flashback scenes, good action and conflict, little to no women (shoutout to the fantastic Old Henry) and a nice ending.

The only complaint I have is that some of the minor characters and subplots were confusing to those who don't have a background in 1960s Congolese history (for example, the opening scene is the murder of the Congolese Prime Minister Patrice Lumumba, and I didn't know it was anyone of power or political importance until reading more. It's helpful to read a bit about the real life incident, but that also ruins the plot a bit--once you know how the battle ends, there's not a huge point to the movie.

It was very well acted and appears historically accurate. Crazy to think that Irish and French were fighting each other over the Congo. If you like the film, read up on Congo Crisis after watching it.

Back