• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

Stop Eating Seed Oils Challenge

president

Heirloom
Avoiding seed oils is a never-ending battle in the modern world, but one well worth engaging in.

To recap the basics: seed oils promote systemic inflammation in the body. Avoid any seed/vegetable oil you come across except for these three oils: single-source olive oil (ie: 100% California), avocado oil, and coconut oil. Those are the only three you have to remember! Don't be fooled by 'non-GMO sunflower oil' and the like - they are to be avoided as well.

The easiest way to do this is 1) cook/prepare your own food, 2) do not buy packaged, pre-made, or processed foods and 3) avoid 'false friends' - foods that are packaged or marketed to look like healthy alternatives but actually are not.

Initially, this will seem like a daunting if not impossible task but I can tell you that I have been 95% seed oil free for over two years and it is actually a much simpler and often times cheaper way to feed yourself, not to mention the numerous health benefits. I have no desire to ever go back to consuming seed oils on a regular basis.

Your grocery shopping will take place almost exclusively in the meat and produce sections. Also, the stores with bins of nuts (not granolas or sugary snacks!) that you scoop out and pay for by the pound will come in handy too.

Again, this seems daunting at first and you may crave fast food fries, a bag of Doritos, or a box of Oreos at first but this craving will fade and you will develop a strong distaste for these items. They will taste 'fake' compared to your new diet and you will feel a lot better and have a better chance of avoiding chronic illness as a result. Also, depending on your lifestyle, it may require a new approach to eating and some planning ahead. Yes there will be times when you will need to dine out or have no other choice for caloric intake except for seed oil ridden food, but you want to get to a point where these are infrequent exceptions.

I strongly believe that anyone can complete this challenge regardless of life factors given the proper approach and some planning. You will not regret it.

Last edited:
I told my girlfriend about how many foods contain seed oils and whenever she goes to the grocery store she can't help but look at all the things we once ate and shake her head.

They're in EVERYTHING that is in a box or a bag.
Now try eliminating high fructose corn syrup from your diet. It's nearly impossible to do in the USA. Even 90% of the bread products have it, including many of the "healthy" options.

It's all part of the effort to make/keep keep us unhealthy. I once bought a jar of unsalted peanuts and even they had seed oils. For what??

Yuka is a good app to use to identify "healthy" foods that still have a bunch of trash in them. They don't call out seed oils though unfortunately.

If it helps others, I only buy cold pressed olive oils for use in cooking. There is a regular olive oil for roughly $6 and a more niche one for $10 which I sometimes purchase. It's worth checking every product for what it contains. If it has any form of seed oil I put it back. Seed oils must be hugely mass produced to make cheap food (food industry). For proof, 7 years ago I was consuming a lot of take take aways, pizza, kfc and my cholesterol levels were high, doctor mentioned statins. After years of taking time to cook my own food (blessed to have the time to do this) and steer clear away from seed oils and take aways my cholesterol levels have dropped to minus the national average (national average seeming to be the way doctors gauge it. Not that I trust docs much these days). I don't have breakfast, usually only eating a light lunch (salads, balsamic vinegar) and a hot full well cooked meal for dinner. See what works for you. Maybe try to make it a challenge to do grocery shopping and walk away with zero seed oil products. As a side note I've done a few zero processed sugar diets this year, usually a week long. This is somwhat more demanding but the results have been great. Again take it slow and see what is good for you.

I saw a very good nutritionist a while back and she set me up with a lot of information and a strict plan to specifically address gut health, systemic inflammation, and overall health. For over a year I was on a zero seed oil, gluten, dairy, refined sugar, and even nightshade vegetable diet. I've since introduced some dairy back into my diet and loosened up some on the nightshades as well since I do like peppers and tomatoes.

The seed oil challenge itself I think is the 'low hanging fruit' of the clean diet approach and I would say refined sugar is right there with it.

Seed oils really are the industrial sludge of the Western diet and refined sugar is basically a drug.

Last edited:
I am interested in switching to lard in an attempt to get away from using margarine and shortening; is it as simple as a 1 for 1 swap, or not a good match?

For most cooking I'm using butter, olive oil and ghee. I have some nice beef tallow that I rendered in my slow cooker as well, but I need a fat for making things like muffins, pastries and so on, hence the lard question.

There was an eccentric, long-winded but fascinating explanation of the benefits of cooking in Camel Hump Fat on the old forum. I ended up buying some- it may be quite healthy but the flavor is too gamey. I cook eggs in butter and meat and veggies in coconut oil, which is good for Asian-flavored cuisine.

I use extra-virgin olive oil (terra delyssa), grass-fed butter, and lard. I eat out maybe twice a month, and I don't eat any processed food other than bread. I read the labels of everything I buy to make sure it doesn't include seed oils.

Could a good quality butter be used instead of lard? My main olive oil is Filippo Berio but I'm always on the look out for the raw olive oils, there's one (Farchioni Il Casolare) you could almost take a table spoon of daily it tastes and smells so natural :) Bread is a difficult one, at least at the mega store I go to I've checked the ingredients of the bread in the long bread aisle and 95% of it is made with seed oil. Everything from bread rolls to loaves to flat breads. I still purchase a loaf weekly and try to convince myself it's only a bit of seed oil. Would really like to start making my own bread.

Could a good quality butter be used instead of lard? My main olive oil is Filippo Berio but I'm always on the look out for the raw olive oils, there's one (Farchioni Il Casolare) you could almost take a table spoon of daily it tastes and smells so natural :) Bread is a difficult one, at least at the mega store I go to I've checked the ingredients of the bread in the long bread aisle and 95% of it is made with seed oil. Everything from bread rolls to loaves to flat breads. I still purchase a loaf weekly and try to convince myself it's only a bit of seed oil. Would really like to start making my own bread.
Lots of posts about making your own bread in the RooshVForum. Many methods are very simple and require few ingredients.

I believe palm oil is also okay in moderation. It's minimally processed; half the problem with seed oils isn't the PUFAs, but the oxiditation and chemical processing that is associated with the extracting oil from plants. It's effectively toxic sludge, seed oils were originally only ever intended to be used to lubricate machinery.

Yes. Learn how to clarify your own butter, that raises its smoke point and removes the milk solids in it that burn with high heat.

Basically you just heat up the butter until the solids foam up to the top (not even very hot), skim those off the top with a spoon, then gently pour the golden liquid into another container, making sure you leave the solids in the bottom of the pan you are pouring out of. You now have the perfect fat for frying, cooking, etc.

Yes. Learn how to clarify your own butter, that raises its smoke point and removes the milk solids in it that burn with high heat.

Basically you just heat up the butter until the solids foam up to the top (not even very hot), skim those off the top with a spoon, then gently pour the golden liquid into another container, making sure you leave the solids in the bottom of the pan you are pouring out of. You now have the perfect fat for frying, cooking, etc.
Can you do anything with the milk solids after separating?

Avoiding seed oils is a never-ending battle in the modern world, but one well worth engaging in.

To recap the basics: seed oils promote systemic inflammation in the body. Avoid any seed/vegetable oil you come across except for these three oils: single-source olive oil (ie: 100% California), avocado oil, and coconut oil. Those are the only three you have to remember! Don't be fooled by 'non-GMO sunflower oil' and the like - they are to be avoided as well.

The easiest way to do this is 1) cook/prepare your own food, 2) do not buy packaged, pre-made, or processed foods and 3) avoid 'false friends' - foods that are packaged or marketed to look like healthy alternatives but actually are not.

Initially, this will seem like a daunting if not impossible task but I can tell you that I have been 95% seed oil free for over two years and it is actually a much simpler and often times cheaper way to feed yourself, not to mention the numerous health benefits. I have no desire to ever go back to consuming seed oils on a regular basis.

Your grocery shopping will take place almost exclusively in the meat and produce sections. Also, the stores with bins of nuts (not granolas or sugary snacks!) that you scoop out and pay for by the pound will come in handy too.

Again, this seems daunting at first and you may crave fast food fries, a bag of Doritos, or a box of Oreos at first but this craving will fade and you will develop a strong distaste for these items. They will taste 'fake' compared to your new diet and you will feel a lot better and have a better chance of avoiding chronic illness as a result. Also, depending on your lifestyle, it may require a new approach to eating and some planning ahead. Yes there will be times when you will need to dine out or have no other choice for caloric intake except for seed oil ridden food, but you want to get to a point where these are infrequent exceptions.

I strongly believe that anyone can complete this challenge regardless of life factors given the proper approach and some planning. You will not regret it.
A good time to try, this out will be now on the 15th of November during lent as we not allowed to eat oil, I did my first one last year and it want easy but I made it, during the fast I had ZERO tooth pain but the very day I broke the fast I had the most horrible tooth pains which just shows how our food affects our health

I've been pretty good at avoiding seed oils but during fasting days, my staple of hummus (added seed oils), and chips (also added seed oils) makes it challenging. I'll probably start making my own hummus, but I don't think I can make my own chips. I guess I can find a non seed oil bread and dip the toast in it. I'm not trying to be a zealot about it, just making steps in the right direction. I definitely do feel better with less seed oils though.

Back