• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

Stop Eating Seed Oils Challenge

Two questions
• is coconut a “seed oil”
• Can occasional consumption of seed oil not be harmful when eating out?

In orthodoxy - olive oil isn’t allowed on fast days so for the longest time in my own cooking I used canola. However being part of the orthodox community I know about seed oils. I started switching to coconut and eating vegan curry on fasting days. Would coconut be an equally harmful seed oil and I should be grilling or steaming? I thought about asking my priest for permission to use olive oil but abstain from alcohol on fast days.

Also when you go out everything’s seed oil. Should bars and restaurants be avoided like the plague? If so this makes social life and working long hours rough.
Coconut oil is excellent for you.

I askeda world-class endurance coach and he assured me coconut oil was fine and that the people who published things like this are insane, ignorant or corrupt:

I don't want to avoid all restaurants, even if it means consuming some seed oils. Even most of the "good" ones use some amount of seed oils. A friend asked a waiter at a decent place if they could switch to butter, and the restaurant agreed. It worked, but I'd also hate to be the "needy" person with all the dietary restrictions.

I don't want to avoid all restaurants, even if it means consuming some seed oils. Even most of the "good" ones use some amount of seed oils. A friend asked a waiter at a decent place if they could switch to butter, and the restaurant agreed. It worked, but I'd also hate to be the "needy" person with all the dietary restrictions.
Gotta have wings and pizza haha. I think what I could do is limit it to once or twice a week and cook all other meals at home 1/7 of meals having seed oil might be ok if 6/7 use olive or coconut.

I might try out avocado too as it conforms to Orthodox tradition.

Gotta have wings and pizza haha. I think what I could do is limit it to once or twice a week and cook all other meals at home 1/7 of meals having seed oil might be ok if 6/7 use olive or coconut.

I might try out avocado too as it conforms to Orthodox tradition.
Yeah avocado oil is great. It's rather "tasteless" so expect your flavor to come from something else. Both coconut oil and avocado oil do better at medium/high heat than olive oil anyway.

Personally, I'm weirdly not that into french fries, which are the most oily item. So I've gone pretty much cold turkey on restaurant french fries.

Ultimately I think if you keep it minimal, like you suggested 1 meal per week, that seems just fine and sustainable.

I know this won't be a popular post, but I'm starting to believe that seed oils aren't as bad as they're made out to be on this side of the internet.

Keith Richards smoked heavily, drank heavily and took massive amounts of drugs - he's still alive and thriving at 79. Rasputin ate actual poison and he was fine. I don't think some french fries are going to kill you.

With anything, I say being hypochondriac, and anxiously checking the ingredients list of everything you eat, is going to put you in a state of stress, and will be worse for your long-term health than the seed oil itself.

Trump also has lived on a diet of McDonald's & diet coke for years, and he's won two club golf championships :)

Is cocoa butter healthy for you?
I usually use butter and sometimes olive oil, and I bought some cocoa butter because it was mentioned here in this forum. I haven't used it yet.

Maybe our ladies have talked about it, but I can't find those posts.
I would appreciate a private massage with a link to this discussion.

Alternatively you can ask this question in the Ladies section.

That's fair. Although, can you name a 78 year old who has a good physique? Serious question :)
Fred Beckey was born in 1923:

He was a prolific alpinist, still making first ascents in 1997, so age 74.

Here he is climbing a frozen waterfall in Canada in 2007 age 84, and he kept climbing into the 2010's before finally passing in 2017:

Fred_Beckey_-_Louise_Falls_-_2006.jpeg

Back