Should I buy a new car?

A very good backyard mechanic I used to know only used prolong engine oil in all his cars, they all did over 1 million kilometers without needing an engine overall so dont worry about the milage and switch to that oil, I hate modern cars besides how ugly they look they have too many electronics that are expensive to replace, the worst invention is the beeping seatbelt! Just FYI Iv never bought a new car in my life and Im not planning on it
I disconnected the beeper in my 90s sedan (also black tape over the warning light section - it's still visible enough). As a side effect I got into trouble once by leaving the lights on parked on a foggy day and had to get a jumpstart. Also I removed the light in the trunk because I leave it open sometimes and I don't want the battery to have unnecessary stress. In the summer I take out the fuse for the cabin lights for the same reason. Then in the wintertime there is significantly less daylight so putting the fuse back in is the right move.

2 years ago I was looking to buy a used 4x4 truck/suv, preferably Toyota or Ford. Even used and 10+ years old, most of them were way overpriced.

Instead I went with a 2004 Infiniti, front wheel drive sedan for half the price and paid for it in cash. It only had 79,000 miles too. It has been very reliable, the insurance is cheap, and I can still get skis in there, a kayak, mountain bike and drive in snow/ice. Looking back I'm very happy I went with the old Infiniti. I love that car. I love that none of the unnecessary newer technology is in it too.

Cars are just cars. All that matters is that it's reliable and can do the things you need to do. The Japanese make the most reliable ones.

Running through some perhaps faulty mathematical models, I'm going to take a contrarian approach to most on this forum.

In many cases (especially for people busy with other work or family life they need time to focus on), it makes a lot more sense in 2023 to buy a new car. In the OP's case, if changing a car isn't immediately needed, then I'd probably wait for the car market to gain some sanity. But in general, if you find yourself without a car, and you need to get one now, buying new could actually make more sense.

Used car prices are at all-time highs, and this means that new car depreciation is at all-time lows. If you buy a new car, hold it for 3-5 years (for however long it's on warranty), it's very likely that you could then sell that car for just a few thousand dollars less than you paid. This means that for around 1-2 thousand per year (plus insurance) you can have a super reliable vehicle without needing to pay anything for repairs.

On the flip side, let's say you try to save a few thousand dollars by buying a used car. You might have to shell out an additional few thousand in repairs which are often more expensive now due to car complexity and electronics/computers (meaning you're paying almost the same as new), but if you try to resell it then you'll still lose a few thousand dollars on the resale.

This means that, due to slow/low levels of depreciation in our modern times, if you buy new you really only pay for the depreciation. If you buy used you pay for both the repairs (which could be significant, especially if you live in a country/area where rust damage is common) and the depreciation, which means you might end up paying more to drive a worse quality car that causes you more headaches, time, and energy.

Sounds like you made up your mind already but I always go with used Toyotas with less than 3 owners and under 200,000 miles. Making sure the vehicle has been properly maintained is of course paramount (receipts for oil changes, transmission services, timing belt, water pump, starter, alternator, rack and pinion/controller arms, etc.).

I've had 5 Toyotas, one was a 1997 Corolla with 160K miles on it that I bought for 3K. Drove that car into the ground over a 10 year period. I blew a cylinder on it at 270K miles and it kept going (idled rough and I changed the spark plug on bad cylinder every 3K). I eventually sold it with the blown cylinder at 325K miles for $500 bucks. I also bought a 2004 V8 4Runner with 190K miles on it 7 years ago for 7K. It now has 340K miles on it. Have maybe put 4K into it the entire time. Best car I've ever owned, spins like a top and it is a beast (I do a lot of heavy towing with it).

NOTE: 2006 was a bad year for 4Runners so avoid those. Consult 4Runner forums for the best years. 2004's are especially good.

Im buying a diesel truck now. Subaru has too many problems and I want to be a big man.
I’m curious what’s the problem with Subaru’s? I know years back they had serious issues with blowing head gaskets. From what I hear, that issue has been corrected. Last week I took an Uber to get to my destination and the guy picked me up in a 2023 Subaru Outback. It was pretty nice, but I don’t like that it has a CVT transmission. That seems like a poor transmission for an all wheel drive vehicle.

Im buying a diesel truck now. Subaru has too many problems and I want to be a big man.
I should say, id be getting 1% financing. Given current inflation, this is pretty good. Still kind of a stupid purchase, but I like in the woods essentially so I'll get use out of it.
I’m curious what’s the problem with Subaru’s? I know years back they had serious issues with blowing head gaskets. From what I hear, that issue has been corrected. Last week I took an Uber to get to my destination and the guy picked me up in a 2023 Subaru Outback. It was pretty nice, but I don’t like that it has a CVT transmission. That seems like a poor transmission for an all wheel drive vehicle.
I tried a 2023 Outback XT and it did not wow me. My 3.0r 2006 seemed more fun.

The CVT is mushy, especially with the turbo lag. The screen isn't very good either.

The 2018/19 3.6R is good, but way overpriced as everyone knows it now.

Just bought a new 2024 Honda Odyssey (insert minivan joke).

The 2023 and 2022 with 20k+ miles were running about $5k less than the brand new price. That doesn't even cover the devaluation of dirving it off the lot, much less the extra wear and tear.
My friend has a 10+ year old Odyssey and I'm impressed at how quiet the cabin is still. None of the rattles and squeaks or engine noise you would normally expect from a 10 year-old car.

I need your advice guys...

I own a 10-year old car worth $15k or so with a crappy stereo system. The deck is good but the speakers are worthless and make the deck sound bad too...so they need to be replaced. I think this will cost me $500-$700 for 4 good quality speakers + labor.

Ideally though, I'd rather trade in this car and lease something else that's a step up and new and not have to deal with buying new speakers for this old car.

Which is the best way to go here?

I need your advice guys...

I own a 10-year old car worth $15k or so with a crappy stereo system. The deck is good but the speakers are worthless and make the deck sound bad too...so they need to be replaced. I think this will cost me $500-$700 for 4 good quality speakers + labor.

Ideally though, I'd rather trade in this car and lease something else that's a step up and new and not have to deal with buying new speakers for this old car.

Which is the best way to go here?

New speakers shouldn't be reasoning for a new car brother. 10 years isn't old enough to be out of date, nothing crazy or essential has come out in the last ten years. Upgrade those speakers to something modest, even modest aftermarket will be an huge improvement over stock, and get a cheap apple CarPlay or android auto head unit and your car will be new again tech wise. The only things you'll be missing are the worthless gizmos that are more annoying than helpful.

While leases have come down significantly the past year or so still the only leases out there which will beat depreciation are electric cars because of the 7500 federal credit joke that comes off the MSRP and of course there are huge manufacturer incentives because nobody wants to buy them as their novelty was worn off, also some states have extra incentives on top for ev's. If you want IC you will end up with something crappy like a jeep compass for anything close to a tolerable lease payment.

What do you drive now and what are you thinking to get into? What is your daily commute like? Those things will determine if a lease makes sense for you or not, not speakers,

New speakers shouldn't be reasoning for a new car brother. 10 years isn't old enough to be out of date, nothing crazy or essential has come out in the last ten years. Upgrade those speakers to something modest, even modest aftermarket will be an huge improvement over stock, and get a cheap apple CarPlay or android auto head unit and your car will be new again tech wise. The only things you'll be missing are the worthless gizmos that are more annoying than helpful.

While leases have come down significantly the past year or so still the only leases out there which will beat depreciation are electric cars because of the 7500 federal credit joke that comes off the MSRP and of course there are huge manufacturer incentives because nobody wants to buy them as their novelty was worn off, also some states have extra incentives on top for ev's. If you want IC you will end up with something crappy like a jeep compass for anything close to a tolerable lease payment.

What do you drive now and what are you thinking to get into? What is your daily commute like? Those things will determine if a lease makes sense for you or not, not speakers,
I'm driving a Honda...and from what I've heard, their speakers are awful. So I think what you said about just upgrading the speakers makes sense.

I'd really like to get into a luxury vehicle in the next year or two if the economy hasn't crumbled to bits. I'm just not sure when it's wise to lease a vehicle vs owning one.

The practical part of me is saying to just be happy with the reliable Honda and upgrade the speakers even though it will be close to 5% of what the car is still worth.

I'm driving a Honda...and from what I've heard, their speakers are awful. So I think what you said about just upgrading the speakers makes sense.

I'd really like to get into a luxury vehicle in the next year or two if the economy hasn't crumbled to bits. I'm just not sure when it's wise to lease a vehicle vs owning one.

The practical part of me is saying to just be happy with the reliable Honda and upgrade the speakers even though it will be close to 5% of what the car is still worth.
A "luxury vehicle" should be a vehicle that requires minimal time/maintenance and lasts a very long time. Most "luxury" vehicles don't fit this bill.
My pos vehicle is a luxury for me since it's been such low maintenance (I've done the bare minimum on my Acura and it's almost 300k).
You have to look at deprecation costs/leasing costs. What would cause you to lose the least amount of money? With this loss, you lose the opportunity to reinvest that loss. Have you read the basics like Rich Dad Poor Dad? If not I would start there.
Leasing is often not the answer. The answer is to buy/own in which you knock of as much depreciation as possible (3-5 year old car) and still have a good amount of life (value for your money).
Buying some cheap speakers is a considerably smaller loss than the depreciation hit on another vehicle. (Don't forget taxes and other fees).
Plus you get the new speakers. Win win.

Find the sweet spot with speakers in which you can really tell a difference and not spend a ton.

There is nothing wrong with wanting nice things as long as it is still within being responsible and before Covid for many cars it actually made a lot more sense to lease than buy but that has changed. It's getting better but still not there yet where I would say you're better off leasing, you can't really hack a lease right now save for electrics and that is only because of all the current incentives, they are generally terrible vehicles and most everyone I know who got one hated it after the novelty wore off or more recently they got it because the lease was so cheap they couldn't turn it down. I have a relative who bought a ford lightning when they were new and he hates it because he's so upside down in it and is stuck with it, I also have another relative who leased a lightning recently because it was so dirt cheap and he loves it because he's going to beat the hell out of it and give it back.

At 10 years old you're past any big depreciation curves and being a Honda your car will hold it's value so you're not in any hurry to get out of the car. If you want a responsible luxury car I would get a Lexus, it will always be reliable and hold it's value and even for the older generations the fit and finish holds up to any new car if not better. Stay away from German cars, those are cars you want to lease and not buy because they are ticking time bombs out of warranty. American luxury cars unfortunately don't really feel like luxury as soon as they get any decent amount of miles on them and they also don't hold their value, not as bad as the Germans but still. A cadillac escalade is a 125k car built on a 35k dumpy truck and it shows once they get a few miles on them and all those gizmos and fake luxuries get a little worn. Many modern cars have some catastrophic engineering failures so you have to be really careful with what you decide to buy, there is a reason why that luxury car which was 70k new is now 15k not even 5 years later even though it still sparkles on the outside.

But all of that being said $500 to make your car more enjoyable and being a car that will hold it's value is not unreasonable it's not as if you are investing the $500 into a POS worthless car. Getting a new car in a terrible market to do so just to have better speakers I would say is highly unreasonable.

If you regardless do decide to buy or even lease a car let me know I'm very in tune with the market and would be happy to help.

Last edited:

Some Mercedes until 2000 are not bad.

And what separares Mercedes is brutal safety. Cars are or were like tanks. Some kids jumped with a 90s Mercedes from a road small cliff into the beach. Not a single scratch. Theres some teinforcement with steel. Which gives you a feeling driving. That other cars dont.

New luxury cars are all shit. Mostly due to leasing and tax rebates of 5 years. Which makes companies change them.

Was going to try the new toyota prius. It just broke the record of the cheapest travel. But I cant buy that fag car. Didnt even go to the test drive.

Tried a tesla once. Its overpriced.

In Paris saw toyota chr everywhere.

I might try a lexus but they seem like old people cars. Its not the same luxury feeling of Mercedes or bmw. A mechanic told me toyotas were mostly petrol not diesel which gives them an advantage against Mercedes.

Supposeddly german cars are reliable if you follow the strict calendar of services. Which nobody does. Unless maniacs.

If range Rovers werent pieces of cardboard shit. I would buy one.

I would stay with acura and buy a exotic car to drive around from time to time.

Theres no new luxury car i would buy nowadays. To be left stranded on a highway on a rainy day. No thanks. Luxury is the best. Thats the definition of luxury. Not fake best.

Last edited:
Just bought a new 2024 Honda Odyssey (insert minivan joke).

The 2023 and 2022 with 20k+ miles were running about $5k less than the brand new price. That doesn't even cover the devaluation of dirving it off the lot, much less the extra wear and tear.
Great choice. The J series engine is the best v6 engine ever made and has not really changed in 20+ years. Not to shoo on my way of living but most services to the engine can be done by the owner if they would have a bit of dedication and competence. That includes the timing belt and water pump, oil pump, oil pan etc.

I'm thinking about buying a car. I'm in doubt between an Audi A4 2020 or a Camry 2022.

I don't drive much. The Camry might have lower long-term maintenance and it has better fuel efficiency. But inside looks cheap, specially the (fake) leather seats. I wonder if the Audi will turn to a headache in the future. Oil change, tires, brakes, suspension, etc is normal for every car. I'm concerned about engine, transmission, electrical problems...

I drive around 3k miles per year.

Back