• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

Should I buy a new car?

I would also add that the price of used cars is significantly higher compared to years past. It almost makes sense to buy a few years newer when you factor out the difference.

Not everyone likes to repair cars. You have to really enjoy it and not just see it as a burden or task to complete. When you get something newer, you essentially are buying your time back. And when you have a family, time is invaluable. Especially for men that work 50-60 hours a week. So then the weekend is spent repairing a car. I imagine there are worst things you could be doing, especially if you have a son you can teach or work with.

I'm in the retail automobile business and my advice is - hold on to your current vehicle as long as you can.

The market right now is still exceedingly high, especially for a marque like Subaru that has no problem receiving MSRP or plus on high-demand models.

Thanks again for the thoughtful replies. I'll be holding off until the wheels fall off my current car.

I imagine that when the "soft landing" hits, car prices will tank at least a little bit and that will be time to buy instead of peak bubble.

Thanks again for the thoughtful replies. I'll be holding off until the wheels fall off my current car.

I imagine that when the "soft landing" hits, car prices will tank at least a little bit and that will be time to buy instead of peak bubble.

Remember that 'car prices falling' really means 'car prices stabilizing to what they would be without the COVID bubble,' meaning prices will still be high because of inflation and other factors compared to the 'good ol days' of 2019

A few factors to consider for those who want to nerd out...

1) New car manufacturers have all but abandoned the entry-level segment in the US market. For 24MY, only a handful of cars for sale in the United States start meaningfully under $20,000 - The Nissan Versa and Kia Rio. A few other (Soul, Forte, Venue) start at $19500+, meaning simply adding destination puts you over $20,000. No US manufacturer offers a sub-$20k car any longer, nevermind a European manufacturer.

This pushes entry-level and payment-conscious buyers into the used car segment. This keeps the value of 'new car alternative' (2-4 year-old off-rentals and lease returns) vehicles high.

2) The $500 beater is virtually a thing of the past. With scrapyards still paying good money for junk cars, finding a running, driving car for under $1000 is a challenge, pushing these buyers into higher price bracket out of necessity.

3) The complexity of very late model cars combined with the general household economic situation of many people keep them in the $2-5k segment, buoying up the value of these cars.

A very good backyard mechanic I used to know only used prolong engine oil in all his cars, they all did over 1 million kilometers without needing an engine overall so dont worry about the milage and switch to that oil, I hate modern cars besides how ugly they look they have too many electronics that are expensive to replace, the worst invention is the beeping seatbelt! Just FYI Iv never bought a new car in my life and Im not planning on it

A very good backyard mechanic I used to know only used prolong engine oil in all his cars, they all did over 1 million kilometers without needing an engine overall so dont worry about the milage and switch to that oil, I hate modern cars besides how ugly they look they have too many electronics that are expensive to replace, the worst invention is the beeping seatbelt! Just FYI Iv never bought a new car in my life and Im not planning on it

What has killed lots of late-model cars (2010+) are these manufacturer-recommended prolonged service intervals. 7,500 to 10k miles was the norm for some time, all in the interests of advertising 'savings on maintenance costs.' Well, when you factor in the fact that every motor regardless of how well-engineered it is will consume some oil during normal operation combined with generally higher operating temperatures in some motors, add in general owner neglect (10k miles = 11-12k miles) and the presence of VVT solenoids and other oil-driven sensors/solenoids/cam phaser located towards to top of the motor, and its no wonder why so many later-model cars experience upper-end failures related to lifters, etc.

I feel the halcyon days of automobiles are between 1990-2010 - old enough to still be generally serviceable, new enough to be imbued with useful safety features, upgradable architecture, and built with tolerances precise enough to last decades with routine maintenance. Many great models to choose from - 9th/10th-gen F-150, Cummins Dodge trucks, Duramax GM, GMT-400/800 trucks and SUVs, Toyota Tacomas, Nissan Frontiers, USDM '08-'11 Focus, Taurus/Sable, Panther cars, non-Cadillac GM G/H/W-body cars, TDI VWs, TJ Wranglers, etc.

What has killed lots of late-model cars (2010+) are these manufacturer-recommended prolonged service intervals. 7,500 to 10k miles was the norm for some time, all in the interests of advertising 'savings on maintenance costs.' Well, when you factor in the fact that every motor regardless of how well-engineered it is will consume some oil during normal operation combined with generally higher operating temperatures in some motors, add in general owner neglect (10k miles = 11-12k miles) and the presence of VVT solenoids and other oil-driven sensors/solenoids/cam phaser located towards to top of the motor, and its no wonder why so many later-model cars experience upper-end failures related to lifters, etc.

I feel the halcyon days of automobiles are between 1990-2010 - old enough to still be generally serviceable, new enough to be imbued with useful safety features, upgradable architecture, and built with tolerances precise enough to last decades with routine maintenance. Many great models to choose from - 9th/10th-gen F-150, Cummins Dodge trucks, Duramax GM, GMT-400/800 trucks and SUVs, Toyota Tacomas, Nissan Frontiers, USDM '08-'11 Focus, Taurus/Sable, Panther cars, non-Cadillac GM G/H/W-body cars, TDI VWs, TJ Wranglers, etc.
An oil filter and oil change you can still do often its not expensive to do, some cars are easy enough to do yourself, the new cars not so, I knew a guy in Mozambique who had an old truck the speedometer went back to zero after it did 999,999km it went back to zero, I sat in the truck while he drove it many years ago, I remember the window was being held up with a flat tip screw

I've been driving a 2023 Jeep rental for about two weeks and 1000+ miles while my company vehicle is in the shop and while it's comfortable and has a lot of bells and whistles I definitely wouldn't want to own it.

The "ipad" center control stack faults out about every other day. It would merely be a minor annoyance if it meant that android auto feature quit working, but it's far worse than that. There's been times when I can't turn the radio off because the controls are unresponsive or I can't adjust the hvac settings. The magic of turning it off and on again seems to be the only fix.

The motor has a lot of power, but that's about all it has going for it. As someone who enjoys driving and appreciates well designed drive trains, this thing is very uninspiring. The power band is unpredictable and the seven speed transmission is always hunting for the most eco-friendly rpm range. It also sounds very tinny and appliance-like, like a sewing machine.

The interior build materials look really nice at first glance but feel really cheap and poorly fitted after use. The plastics are very pliable and there's a lot of creaking and rattling for only having 18,000 miles.

I just can't see this thing standing the test of time. They truly don't make them like they used to. I doubt this thing will see 200k 15 years down the line.

I wish I bought a few 2005 Suburbans and just kept them warm until I needed another one. My current one is going to hit 400k soon and besides the body rusting away, it still pulls like a champ. I had to chase some electrical gremlins last week and found a corroded cable at the starter. Took about 2 hours, but man it felt good to solve that head scratcher.

I am looking at another vehicle for probably the next year or two. I would like another 2005 Suburban, but 20yo vehicles are pretty high miles now, and the 2016s are just too fancy. The best thing about older vehicles is many of their components are analog and easy to fix with some wd40 or well placed tap.

I like the sound of the new Land Cruiser. Toyota's CEO is all about getting back to the roots, dismissing EV's as non sensical and the LC seems a culmination of that. Very low tech in places where it doesn't matter, and Toyota tech where it does.

I wish I bought a few 2005 Suburbans and just kept them warm until I needed another one. My current one is going to hit 400k soon and besides the body rusting away, it still pulls like a champ. I had to chase some electrical gremlins last week and found a corroded cable at the starter. Took about 2 hours, but man it felt good to solve that head scratcher.

I am looking at another vehicle for probably the next year or two. I would like another 2005 Suburban, but 20yo vehicles are pretty high miles now, and the 2016s are just too fancy. The best thing about older vehicles is many of their components are analog and easy to fix with some wd40 or well placed tap.

I like the sound of the new Land Cruiser. Toyota's CEO is all about getting back to the roots, dismissing EV's as non sensical and the LC seems a culmination of that. Very low tech in places where it doesn't matter, and Toyota tech where it does.
What about the 4 banger hybrid motor? Are these trusted enough yet? The new Tacoma will have the same engine.

I've been driving a 2023 Jeep rental for about two weeks and 1000+ miles while my company vehicle is in the shop and while it's comfortable and has a lot of bells and whistles I definitely wouldn't want to own it.

The "ipad" center control stack faults out about every other day. It would merely be a minor annoyance if it meant that android auto feature quit working, but it's far worse than that. There's been times when I can't turn the radio off because the controls are unresponsive or I can't adjust the hvac settings. The magic of turning it off and on again seems to be the only fix.

The motor has a lot of power, but that's about all it has going for it. As someone who enjoys driving and appreciates well designed drive trains, this thing is very uninspiring. The power band is unpredictable and the seven speed transmission is always hunting for the most eco-friendly rpm range. It also sounds very tinny and appliance-like, like a sewing machine.

The interior build materials look really nice at first glance but feel really cheap and poorly fitted after use. The plastics are very pliable and there's a lot of creaking and rattling for only having 18,000 miles.

I just can't see this thing standing the test of time. They truly don't make them like they used to. I doubt this thing will see 200k 15 years down the line.
You're speaking my language, man. The newest vehicle I currently own was designed in the late 90s. I recently helped someone fix a problem on their newer Ford Edge, and was really put off by the driving experience. The always-on infotainment screen in the dash was obnoxious and distracting, as if your passenger was shining a flashlight in your face while you were driving. There were noticeable delays in the drive by wire throttle control, the transmission never allowing the engine to get into the upper RPM range during normal driving, the seatbelt indicator chirping at me because I wasn't buckled up for short spin around the neighborhood, the small turbocharged 4cyl engine provided little to no perceptible feedback while running, there was almost no direct mechanical feedback to the road, it was sterile and unengaging. It was smooth and quiet, though, which I guess is what people want.

Driving that vehicle really made me appreciate my old trucks and re-affirmed that the extra work involved in maintaining them was worth it.

What about the 4 banger hybrid motor? Are these trusted enough yet? The new Tacoma will have the same engine.
Its hard to say, I think it comes down to trusting Toyota development that they refuse to put out sub par products. Their CEO is super bullish in their newest tech, and the stats coming from their new 4 banger are pretty good. That fuel mileage mixed with that torque are absurd.

Having said that, I am still looking for an older Toyota/Lexus with their bulletproof V8. Still one of the best motors ever made.

Last edited:
Its hard to say, I think it comes down to trusting Toyota development that they refuse to put out sub par products. Their CEO is super bullish in their newest tech, and the stats coming from their new 4 banger are pretty good. That fuel mileage mixed with that torque are absurd.

Having said that, I am still looking for an older Toyota/Lexus with their bulletproof V8. Still one of the best motors ever made.
Have a friend that paid $30,000 for a 7 year old Lexus GX with almost 100k miles.
Yeah it might be bulletproof, but still not convinced these used car prices make sense.

I used to own a 1998 Honda Passport. Had Honda in the name but the thing was garbage. I think it made it just over 100k miles.

Have a friend that paid $30,000 for a 7 year old Lexus GX with almost 100k miles.
Yeah it might be bulletproof, but still not convinced these used car prices make sense.

I used to own a 1998 Honda Passport. Had Honda in the name but the thing was garbage. I think it made it just over 100k miles.

See in Canada, that would be considered a steal for one of those GX trucks. Closer to $50k here with that many miles.

I currently drive a mid 2000s Subaru wagon, and im nearing 150000 miles with some pricey maintenance on the horizon (rear struts, timing belt, and steering/throttle sensors).

I need my car for to get to my remote shift work job, and I'm tired of needing quick fixes done when components suddenly fail.

I have access to a cheap cash mechanic, and admittedly I've only sunk 2k in repairs over the 2 years I've had it.

I would buy a 2024 outback wilderness likely.

With the looming/current recession, am I better of waiting, or not buying new at all?
I would highly advise against buying any vehicle new at the moment. Unless you’re incredibly rich, the worth just doesn’t seem to be there anymore.

These new cars are getting ridiculous and most car companies are building junkers now-a-days. Not to mention, that most of these new cars are filled with electronic parts that end making self-repairs more difficult and expensive.

I would play it safe and try to find a used car for relatively cheap that is easy to work on.

The learning curve of figuring out a new car is very high as well if you've been driving 15+ year old vehicles. I find it interesting how tech was supposed to make our lives easier (a fake sell) when in fact I'm reading a stupid owners manual for the first time ever about how to operate all these gadgets and infotainment center. I feel like a boomer discovering the Internet.

Funny how my wife doesn't care at all. She just wants to get in and go. She hates the Sirius radio too. Although they may have gotten her with the backup camera. And the sensors already saved us from a backup into a pole.

I'm a carsaaalsman and trust me (I know that's hard) do not buy new! You already own a car that's much better built than (unfortunately) even a new Sub. Throw the money at the car you have now and you'll be winning.

The problem with new cars is that there's no return. The car you own now is worthless, so is the new car you're thinking of buying next.

Last edited:
Back