Natural Disasters & Weather Related Current Events

Christos_NIKA

Orthodox
Heritage
Does anyone have any information about Hurricane Helene hitting Florida? I'm not hearing any news. I've heard that the storm has stalled right off the coast and cell towers are down. I have friends in the area and I can't get through to them. I also don't want to clog up the comm lines.

GYib7etXoAELtBV

GYgzlDiXgAAoLOH

I have never seen anything like this

Section of 126 (Left) and section of i40 (right) washed out, bridges and roads submerged or gone all over the place.

East TN/western NC

The nolichucky has been called the river of death historically by people around here. It has taken out the I26 section. And it is terrifyingly fast. The little pigeon, doe and French broad all flooding

Tropical Storm Helene has caused catastrophic conditions in western North Carolina, particularly affecting communities around Asheville and Boone.

The National Weather Service issued an urgent warning about a potential dam failure at Lake Lure, urging residents downstream to seek higher ground.

The storm has led to unprecedented flash flood emergencies in Asheville, with the state’s Department of Transportation advising that all roads in western NC are closed.

Governor Roy Cooper described the storm as possibly the worst in modern history for the region, with over 29 inches of rain reported in parts of Yancey County and significant road washouts.

The storm has resulted in at least 17 fatalities, including two in North Carolina, and left nearly 1 million people without power in Florida and more than 3 million across the Southeast.

Helene's extensive and rapid intensification has made it one of the most damaging storms on record for the region.

2024-09-28_09-02-24.png

GYfdYNobcAA3FIH

GYfdR3_WoAAkAyO

Freaking disaster in #asheville right now.

I’m seeing bad things come out of #georgia too.

The #lakelure #dam is located 27 miles from Asheville.

Grok provides some good context for #ncwx and #helene

- **Dam Height and Water Volume**: Lake Lure Dam is approximately 120 feet tall. The failure of such a structure would release a massive volume of water, but the actual height of the resulting flood wave or surge would be influenced by numerous factors including the topography downstream, the volume of water stored, and the speed of the breach.

- **Predicted Surge Heights from Social Media**: X posts mentioned surge predictions ranging from 10 to 20 feet in areas potentially affected by the dam failure. This reflects community concerns and some estimations based on similar past events or general knowledge about dam failures rather than precise scientific calculations.

- **Actual Surge Estimation**: Given the dam's height and assuming complete failure, the initial surge could potentially be close to the height of the dam if considering only the vertical drop. However, as the water spreads out, the height decreases rapidly due to the broadening river channel and floodplain.

- **Real-World Examples**: Historical dam failures like the Banqiao Dam in China showed that while the initial wave can be catastrophic, the flood wave diminishes in height as it travels. For Lake Lure, considering its size (720 acres) and given the X posts, a conservative estimate for immediate areas downstream might suggest a surge height of around 10-15 feet in the worst-hit areas, though this could be higher closer to the dam and lower as you move further away.

- **Flooding Impact**: Beyond the initial surge, the flooding would cover a much broader area, with water depths varying significantly. The flood could extend for miles, with water depths potentially much less than the initial surge but still dangerous and capable of extensive damage.

Therefore, while the term "storm surge" isn't entirely accurate, the height of the water could reach up to 15-20 feet immediately downstream of the dam, based on community predictions and the dam's characteristics, but this would quickly reduce as the flood wave spreads out. Always remember, these figures are speculative based on available information and social media sentiments, not precise measurements or engineered predictions.

GYgIRseXEAAgKZG

At least 50 patients and staff are trapped on the roof of Unicoi County Hospital in Tennessee

This is terrifying.

Emergency crews attempted to evacuate people by ambulance and boats, but the water began rising way too quickly and and is moving too rapidly to extract people safely, forcing them up on the roof.

The National Guard is deploying to assist. Pray for these people.

At one time, while getting my business off the ground, for a couple of years I lived in the woods rough style about 40 minutes outside of Asheville. I hate to say it, but Asheville had this coming. It is one of the world centers of Satanic activity. Satan loves Asheville, and Boone ain't far behind. May the inhabitants of Asheville cast out Satan and accept Jesus Christ as their Saviour. Amen.

Amazing once Trump said he was going, everyone else decides they have to go make an appearance. It's funny how that happens. However, Lt gov. Robinson was the first state official there with boots on the ground helping the people.4 days, they waited. Well, at least things are starting to move.

Let's hope it's enough.

FEMA: Brokers and Truckers are reporting that FEMA is not posting loads to be delivered to disaster areas devastated by Hurricane Helene.

In every prior disaster the agency posted loads to be delivered and trucking brokers assign these to available truckers. Why isn't aid being sent to the impacted communities? What is going on? Are you seeing aid being delivered?

We know that FEMA is on the ground in multiple states, but we're not aware of shipments of water, ice, food, and other aid being delivered. [Developing]

h/t @taylorbilt

We are now heading to Valdosta, Georgia, in order to pay my respects and bring lots of relief material, including fuel, equipment, water, and other things, to the State. Many politicians and Law Enforcement will be there. We’ll be saying hello to Franklin Graham, Burt Jones, Tyler Harper, Mike Collins, Austin Scott, Russ Goodman, Sam Watson, and the Mayor of Valdosta Scott James. They are working very hard. I was also going to stop into North Carolina, which has really been hit hard. I have a lot of supplies ready for them, but access and communication is now restricted, and we want to make sure that Local Emergency Management is able to focus on helping the people most affected, and not being concerned with me. I’ll be there shortly, but don’t like the reports that I’m getting about the Federal Government, and the Democrat Governor of the State, going out of their way to not help people in Republican areas. MAGA

Indians are the jews of the sub-continent.
I've told people precisely this until I was blue in the face; they're nought but smelly, s***-coloured Jews.
Some people would even defend their crisis profiteering/gouging.

From Canada's neo-liberal economic think-tank, the Fraser Institute:

The author? Steven 'Every Single Time' Horwitz

Dress it up in all the neo-liberal economics you want, it's damned un-Christian and these Christ-killers and elephant and cow-worshipping heathens feel no shame doing it.

Back