Lifter's Lounge

Tips needed for how to motivate myself to keep lifting weights. Divorced, no family in country, single, mid-50s, celibate, non-dater, energy levels irregular. I also find that when I do lift, I'm exhausted for the next several days.

Tips needed for how to motivate myself to keep lifting weights. Divorced, no family in country, single, mid-50s, celibate, non-dater, energy levels irregular. I also find that when I do lift, I'm exhausted for the next several days.

If there is a root cause for your exhaustion (other than just going really hard), like an undiagnosed health problem, it would be worth investigating. Working out should be a net boost in mood and wellbeing and if it isn't, something is wrong and it's messing with your recovery.

However, most of my gym motivation is to get the feeling of being physically spent. The rest is a mix of doing lifts I actually enjoy doing (I hate flat bench, so I go hard on dips instead) and watching the pounds or reps on the lifts increase over time. That and I am never sad if my hands are busy doing something.

Go to bed at a decent time so you are not having to wake up by alarm. Will be natural if you're getting enough sleep.

Also, coffee...caffeinated. I cut caffeine for over a year but went back because I felt the positives of being more gym motivated maybe outweighed the negatives of what the caffeine is subtly doing to me.

Back