How can you you enjoy adulthood as much as childhood?

Whenever I've watched videos of poor places in the Philippines it looks like people are genuinely content. Kids playing, men playing cards and chatting with a beer, always ready to meet a new person that comes along (and shoot them, just kidding).
Agree. Another examples are East Asian countries such as China and Japan. Despite being developed countries their citizens are relatively unhappy and lives a stressful life. Why? because they care too much about achievement and what others think about them.

Compare this to South East Asian countries like Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, Cambodia, etc. Despite still developing they are generally much more happier and have a fulfilling life. Why? because they are relatively laid back and just enjoy life as much as they can.

As I mentioned earlier, I really like the dynamic between Jeremy Clarkson, James May and the little guy (I do know his name, I just like saying little guy). They all love cars and they go on adventures. I'm sure they're all responsible adults too but that doesn't mean they don't have fun and do silly things.
To add to your example, in fiction I agree with the "carpe diem" motto of the Dead Poets Society movie. Also Olgierd Von Everec in Witcher 3 which is described as a man who partied like there is no tomorrow.

In real life I agree with people like RVF's Fisto who traveled to SEA, Maha Vajiralongkorn and Jefri Bolkiah who does not care what others think about them and just keep doing things they enjoy

Some people might not like this message; but it's well proven in biology that ageing starts from the first age of reproduction in a population. (in sexually reproducing species like us) So ageing starts from around puberty, not when you're conceived. So the pre-ageing phase can mask your genetic fortune or unfortune basically. It's only after that point that you'll start to find out how lucky you've been or not. And that genetic makeup again will in general dictate your adult happiness.

Hard work is a myth really! If you have good genetics, it's not hard to work hard. But if you have poor genetics, then even getting out of bed in the morning can feel like hard work. The true heros of this world are probably not sports starts etc. that have just gotten lucky, but people who fight on despite having been unfortunate from the get go. Just my opinion!

Schopenhauer doesn't believe this life is meant for pleasure, and it seems like that to me as well:

As a reliable compass for orienting yourself in life nothing is more useful than to accustom yourself to regarding this world as a place of atonement, a sort of penal colony. When you have done this you will order your expectations of life according to the nature of things and no longer regard the calamities, sufferings, torments, and miseries of life as something irregular and not to be expected but will find them entirely in order, well knowing that each of us is here being punished for his existence and each in his own particular way.

For me there is something deep and spiritual about the happy memories of my childhood. It's not a vain or foolish thing to look back to when you felt loved, protected, innocent, and just happy to be alive- that can be the surest proof of God's personal love for you as an individual and it's something you can thank Him for. At the same time, I acknowledge that you can't recapture many aspects of youth, and many youthful pleasures were silly. Happy men are those who embrace adult responsibilities and adult wisdom.

Last edited:
When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. — 1 Corinthians 13:11
I regret to say that was still quoted at me way too many times when I still was a child.

It is not good to live some kind of perpetual adolescence but also not good to kill one's inner child.

I've managed to nurture that curiosity and fascination back somewhat in recent years. Notice in my young daughter how she indeed has a level of curiousity and joy seeing and experiencing things for the first time in life which I miss having myself.

But as for answers to the question, apart from things like maintaining hobbies, friends and joy, one specific thing is to really get on top of and minimise responsibilities which make life a drag, eg debts, jobs with long hours.

Schopenhauer doesn't believe this life is meant for pleasure, and it seems like that to me as well:
He's a bit over the top in describing life like that, which has a clear western and protestant bias, but it does provide a way for people to see through things in this life as a lesson for the age to come. To say that we were meant to suffer is a simplification which suffers from imprecision, but could be helpful in the sense that they accept the world for what it is an attain virtue in the midst of what seems to be a cruel world frequently.

I thought just today that as someone who has been fortunate to be quite successful in this world, and in a country as great as the USA has been in ways, one can see the absurdity or think "Is this all there is?" once you've done most things and aren't worried about money, or chasing it for example (since most do and can't relate). What that shows you is that living for or through others is more important, which is family, legacy, children, philanthrophy, your neighbor, etc. That's where the actual meaning is.
But as for answers to the question, apart from things like maintaining hobbies, friends and joy, one specific thing is to really get on top of and minimise responsibilities which make life a drag, eg debts, jobs with long hours.
Having said all that, when you continue to work and then also take breaks, escapism through hobbies or interests does seem to be normal and fun. That's what the solitary person does more than the parent, since by definition routine becomes more boring over time, and without kids as a time sink, more freedom abounds. Which is both good and bad. Sadly, a lot of parents aren't all that OK with giving up their former lives of freedom and still act out or dislike that they have kids in many ways, which is less than ideal of course.

Most of my 20s ended up not being enjoyable, so my early 30s have been great. As you get older, you gain confidence (very important as a man) and learn to be content and grateful for each day. You also get a better idea of what hobbies you want, career, potential wife, etc. Having a good understanding of these things makes being content a lot easier. For me, hobbies are especially important to keep your mind occupied, and give you something to look forward to and be proud of outside of work. They also remind me of the joy from childhood. I've also had a lot of crappy jobs, so it makes me appreciate my current job and enjoy going to work. I'd be proud to make it a career.

The comment about trying to find a younger wife is also spot on. Women in their early to mid 20s are so much nicer to talk to. The single women my age are insane.

Something else to mention is getting away from the big city life. Stress goes way down and makes the day to day very pleasant.

Last edited:
Not everyone had happy childhood, just saying...and "schools" = indoctrination systems and full of bullies too, usually (true happiness is being home schooled never having to attend a school). I don't believe wealth can bring a yota of happiness, unless it's inherited: one usually has to sell their soul and too much of precious time for it, acquiring wealth ages a person and zio slavery and partaking in usury is often required. I find childlike happiness in simply being in nature, living among it, freely wandering a lot, being around animals, building something with my own hands

Last edited:
I took a video of my 6 month old crawling today. Then I watched it later at night in bed and I teared up. So innocent and precious. That made me pretty happy. And I'm content with that being all I need.
Just wait until those kids grow up and leave those days behind. You will find you and your wife watching those videos more often, with more emotional results!

Not everyone had happy childhood, just saying...and "schools" = indoctrination systems and full of bullies too, usually (true happiness is being home schooled never having to attend a school). I don't believe wealth can bring a yota of happiness, unless it's inherited: one usually has to sell their soul and too much of precious time for it, acquiring wealth ages a person and zio slavery and partaking in usury is often required. I find childlike happiness in simply being in nature, living among it, freely wandering a lot, being around animals, building something with my own hands

School is day to day, hour to hour. Unless a kid is tortured at school (not bullied, that is different), their time at school is often high and low, multiple times per day (younger grades) to multiple times per week (older grades).

For me, I get pleasure watching young children play and hearing about their world. What a strange and wonderful place a child's mind is! But also watching my wife spend many hours a day playing intimately with young kids and not getting sick of it. It's amazing how women can bring themselves to the level of a child and be present in their joy. So seeing them in this state brings me joy!

I mean... You're kinda not supposed to have all that much "fun" as an adult man, no. Once you stop being a child, life becomes mostly about sacrifice until the day God takes you. You can have hobbies and whatnot, and we of course find great joy in the Church. It's not all that hard to eventually reach a point where you're truly happy, as long as you strive to have a healthy masculine lifestyle and a healthy faith. But we do have Adam's curse nonethelesss. We are meant to work and suffer, because our simp father Adam screwed up big time. When we were children, perhaps our mothers and (hopefully) our fathers used to carry much of that burden for us, so it was easy to be carefree and content, but I don't think we're meant to have that as adults.

Now, you could, of course, as most city-slickers do today, choose to try and dodge this divine curse. Extend your teenage years well into your 20's or 30's. That's really what college is, and even once you get a job, it's become something that a lot of companies try and somewhat enable employees to do, because I guess they think zoomers wouldn't want to work otherwise. I've certainly noticed this the company I work for. But if you do this, you will come to regret it. Hopefully in this life and not after. You can either grow old and wise, or just old.

Last edited:
I mean... You're kinda not supposed to have all that much "fun" as an adult man, no. Once you stop being a child, life becomes mostly about sacrifice until the day God takes you. You can have hobbies and whatnot, and we of course find great joy in the Church. It's not all that hard to eventually reach a point where you're truly happy, as long as you strive to have a healthy masculine lifestyle and a healthy faith. But we do have Adam's curse nonethelesss. We are meant to work and suffer, because our simp father Adam screwed up big time. When we were children, perhaps our mothers and (hopefully) our fathers used to carry much of that burden for us, so it was easy to be carefree and content, but I don't think we're meant to have that as adults.

Now, you could, of course, as most city-slickers do today, choose to try and dodge this divine curse. Extend your teenage years well into your 20's or 30's. That's really what college is, and even once you get a job, it's become something that a lot of companies try and somewhat enable employees to do, because I guess they think zoomers wouldn't want to work otherwise. I've certainly noticed this the company I work for. But if you do this, you will come to regret it. Hopefully in this life and not after. You can either grow old and wise, or just old.
Part of what you say is right, but the modern day is a tradeoff, so you can count yourself lucky to have a wife and kids, or count yourself ... unlucky to have a wife and kids ...

I have more fun as an adult than I did as a kid. I had zero autonomy as a kid, no control over what I could eat, where I could go, etc.

Certain parts of childhood I do miss, but as a whole? Nah.

What makes me feel like a kid again is to have a decent level of physical fitness and to go play around in the woods, even to do dumb stuff like throw rocks into ponds or smash stuff with sticks.

Same, I hated childhood. I was much smarter than any of the adults in my life, was painful to have to follow them. Once I reached adulthood life got 1000x better for me.
I think we've touched on this topic before. It is amazing how many people out there are just big versions of kids, but I've talked about how this point proves the fact that God is our Father.

Children are not the flawless beings they are often portrayed to be in liberal society. They can be selfish, impolite, sadistic, noisy, and greedy. However, just like a seed in a nurturing environment, with the right care and guidance, they can grow into wise, faithful, and virtuous individuals.

The perspective we have as children is singular and fleeting, with memories of first vacations, the way the moon looked, the fascination with ants, and the sensation of running. These memories are precious and unique to our childhood.

Adulthood brings a deeper kind of joy, a sense of contentment and wisdom that children cannot yet grasp. Perhaps when we idealize childhood too much, it may be a sign that we have yet to fully embrace adulthood.

Regrettably, many people in contemporary society fail to reach true adulthood as they have not encountered God. They view life as merely a series of pleasures and pains, and when the pain becomes too great and the pleasure does not compare, they may sink into depression, which is a logical response when one believes that this life is all there is.

Without a deeper sense of purpose and a connection to something greater than ourselves, it can be challenging to find meaning and fulfillment in life. This connection, these roots, can help individuals tap into the underground rivers of faith and experience a deeper sense of joy, contentment, and wisdom.

Regrettably, many people in contemporary society fail to reach true adulthood as they have not encountered God. They view life as merely a series of pleasures and pains, and when the pain becomes too great and the pleasure does not compare, they may sink into depression, which is a logical response when one believes that this life is all there is.
Great point.

I have nostalgia for my childhood to a degree, but that has a lot to do also with the combination that I am grateful for my parents and the time in which I grew up, which was far healthier than now, and even less complicated.

What people don't see and what paternos is pointing out is that the progression of things, or the changes in the times, mark an important realization in the person who sees them for what they are. I've noticed that people with some grounding in faith and hope are the only ones that see the big picture purpose, even if we can't understand why certain things are happening. The rest are flailing and flopping in the wind, as they revert to a child like status as he says, without a rudder to help them get through tough times, or give them understanding to contemplate the meaning of their earthly lives.

Great point.

I have nostalgia for my childhood to a degree, but that has a lot to do also with the combination that I am grateful for my parents and the time in which I grew up, which was far healthier than now, and even less complicated.

What people don't see and what paternos is pointing out is that the progression of things, or the changes in the times, mark an important realization in the person who sees them for what they are. I've noticed that people with some grounding in faith and hope are the only ones that see the big picture purpose, even if we can't understand why certain things are happening. The rest are flailing and flopping in the wind, as they revert to a child like status as he says, without a rudder to help them get through tough times, or give them understanding to contemplate the meaning of their earthly lives.
I have observed that those who have gone through pain (physical, mental) and accepted it develop into more gracious adults.

I think the cross makes us grow; as hard as it sounds for those who are suffering.

Modern society is about the denial of pain, or the elimination of pain and the maximization of pleasure. When I look at euthanasia and hear their stories, I realize that the balance of pain and pleasure has shifted to the negative side and the conclusion is clear. Life is not worth living.

The pain can be extremely harsh, excruciating, as we can read in Job, and as I have experienced in my personal life.

Our faith is tested in pain; I believe that it is in pain that we can get closer to God, and in harsh pain, we are asked, "Do we choose God or the world?"

If we choose the world, we might kill ourselves, as there is nothing there.

When we grow older, we come closer to the cross, closer to Jesus, closer to God, in our own personal experience.

What used to be just Bible stories, starts to live and become deeply personal experiences.

In the bible children and their emotional state is not this important. While in modern society we are always encouraged to experience child-like joy again, to keep thinking like children, keep that "wonder". We are encouraged to stay children.

Would we trade in our pain and become carefree children again?

In the world, this would be a definitive yes. In God's Kingdom, it's different.

As Paul wrote:

"Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us."

Last edited:
Back