Good Animation Thread

God's lonely asperger

Protestant
Heritage
I liked the previous thread, even if it was dead most of the time.

I was talking to a friend that really hates anime, and I was talking to him about some anime being great. I mentioned JoJo part 1 to him, and ended up watching it again. I'm now hooked on it. The other parts of the anime are terrible and have homosexual references, but part 1 is perfect. Solid plot, solid message, solid animation, and no filler/junk. The first episode is kind of ragebait and boring though. I would not recommend any other part of JoJo.

It probably has some Christian references if you look hard enough, but I mean, it's from Japan. Hard to tell with them.

Supposedly some fantastic storytelling has been done in anime; for those of us who for whatever reason never ventured into it and - as in my case - gradually cut back on entertainment of all types, it is a daunting prospect to learn about it without sinking a lot of time into it. I am so utterly disgusted with virtually all of the "show" that engulfs us that I have been looking in different places.

After looking at a bit of several anime programs a few years ago, I happened upon Elfen Lied which turned out to be fortunate and is still the only anime I and the wife have watched at any length. It is on Amazon Prime and probably numerous anime portals. There are only 13 episodes so not a big time commitment. We have watched it several times. Without giving anything away, I would describe it as a story that opens looking like sci-fi horror, but morphs into a rom-com and finally a philosophical-tinged fantasy. Very thoughtful tale - and the music and art for opening and closing are surprising, with the most overt Christian references. Parts may go a little beyond PG-13, especially at the beginning and in one dark episode toward the end, but very few. Nothing graphic, just hints of disturbing events. Mostly it is sweet and interesting.

I have heard Legends of Galactic Heroes is excellent, but looks like a big time commitment.

Here is the theme song of the show without any other context. It has more meaning if you happen to know Latin but in the show itself the Latin has English subtitles. But this gives an idea of the storytellers' sensibilities.

Back