• ChristIsKing.eu has moved to ChristIsKing.cc - see the announcement for more details. If you don't know your password PM a mod on Element or via a temporary account here to confirm your username and email.

Finasteride, Dutasteride and Hair Transplants

SeaEagle

Trad Catholic
Heritage
I've been on oral finasteride for hair loss for about 6 years off and on.

Im starting to wise up and realize that nuking my DHT might be a silly thing to do. I don't believe that DHT is simply a "bad hormone" that exists to make men bald.

I switched to topical as apparently this method is just as effective.

Should I taper off oral finasteride or just go cold turkey? Anyone have experience or thoughts on DHT or finasteride?

Sources please. I have looked into this and not found evidence of this.

I used to fret about my hair (still have most of it), used dermarollers and minoxidil and it did help, but it was a PITA, and I eventually felt silly for worrying about my hair like a woman does, so I stopped. A mans value isn't in his hair. We should focus on our health, families, faith, careers etc.

Especially once a man is past the "young adult" stage in life, it's completely normal. I say just embrace it.

Everyone is different, a very small percentage of people get horrible lifelong consequences from finasteride but most do not. If that risk is worth taking is a different discussion but the risk is there, it may be a very small percentage and an even smaller percentage where the effects don't go away after ceasing but still it's there. I've been on dutasteride for a few years now and havent had any issues but I've also switch to a topical version just because I don't want to be on any ingested drug long term....much less a cosmetic one. Many people also use a very high dose which is not necessary, I don't have the studies in front of me so I'm not quoting but it's something like 90% as effective at a fraction of the typically prescribed dose.

That being said it's not something which needs to be tapered off, might not be a badidea to have some overlap but regardless the topical is not going to be as effective as the oral so it just is what it is.

Have you looked into oral minoxidil? It works and it works better than anything I know first hand, it completely filled in my hair. The issue is that it grows hair EVERYWHERE, like new places that never had hair before. For me that was a no go and I had to drop is as much as I didn't want to, but for some that may not matter so much. It also reduces blood pressure which is good for most.

A claim made to me, after having just done a topical version of fin and minoxidil (for 1 day! and then quitting since it seemed in instant no to me), was that DHT was only an adolescent hormone and it was vestigial with only bad effects for men after development. While possible, I do not see that probability as very high given the affinity of DHT for androgen receptors. Also, why wouldn't we downregulate DHT production by decreasing 5 alpha reductase (what finasteride works on) as we age, if that were the case; it would stand to reason that one might get benefits of less prostate growth and the hair thing, among others, if it didn't have some function. It turns out it's very important in CNS stimulation and anti estrogenic effects, which makes the situation even more complicated.

Unless I can be highly sure that hormonal therapies work and/or I know and am OK with the side effects, I don't think they are good things to take. I have this position when it comes to finasteride.

A claim made to me, after having just done a topical version of fin and minoxidil (for 1 day! and then quitting since it seemed in instant no to me), was that DHT was only an adolescent hormone and it was vestigial with only bad effects for men after development. While possible, I do not see that probability as very high given the affinity of DHT for androgen receptors. Also, why wouldn't we downregulate DHT production by decreasing 5 alpha reductase (what finasteride works on) as we age, if that were the case; it would stand to reason that one might get benefits of less prostate growth and the hair thing, among others, if it didn't have some function. It turns out it's very important in CNS stimulation and anti estrogenic effects, which makes the situation even more complicated.

Unless I can be highly sure that hormonal therapies work and/or I know and am OK with the side effects, I don't think they are good things to take. I have this position when it comes to finasteride.
Agreed.

I'm bald...and taken testosterone at various times in my life (pre military some then Testosterone therapy for last 5 years)

If you're going to go bald ... You're just prolonging the inevitable with these drugs.

I suppose if your vanity is tied up in hair loss and that's your focus... Go ahead ... But I have always prioritized fertility and sex drive over hair....

Agreed.

I'm bald...and taken testosterone at various times in my life (pre military some then Testosterone therapy for last 5 years)

If you're going to go bald ... You're just prolonging the inevitable with these drugs.

I suppose if your vanity is tied up in hair loss and that's your focus... Go ahead ... But I have always prioritized fertility and sex drive over hair....

I'll second that, in reality all these drugs are just prolonging the inevitable and can be some really nasty drugs. Also anything you gain from them you lose as soon as you come off of them.

You could get a hair transplant and honestly that's the only "cure" but even that has its limitations although that could change in the future with things they are developing such as growing the hairs on their own instead of transplanting.

Last edited:
You could get a hair transplant and honestly that's the only "cure" but even that has its limitations although that could change in the future with things they are developing such as growing the hairs on their own instead of transplanting.
Yes, I think some of the aging therapies I've talked about could reintroduce hair growth from being dormant in at least some people. But yes, anyone willing to do hormones should also consider just paying for FUE, if it's that important.

I use a finasteride/mynoxidil topical spray and it seems to be working well. No side effects, and it doubles as a bit of styling agent, adding a bit of volume to my hair. Only takes a couple minutes every morning.

I use a finasteride/mynoxidil topical spray and it seems to be working well. No side effects, and it doubles as a bit of styling agent, adding a bit of volume to my hair. Only takes a couple minutes every morning.

You gotta make sure it's actually ending up on your scalp and not your hair....that's the main issue with sprays actually instead of using a dropper or blunt syringe.

Friendly reminder: Finasterid does work do not stop it or pause it.

I stopped taking Finasterid after I got my hairtransplant because at the same time, I got my first kid. I lost a lot of hair by stopping Fina. I told myself having a family now, more things are important than hair (I still do). Im now on the edge of either shaving all off, or doing a second transplant. But I have now 2 kids and I do think its a bit gay to be "afraid" of getting bald. On the other hand, Im well aware that looks are important in a marriage if we like it or not.

Friendly reminder: Finasterid does work do not stop it or pause it.

I stopped taking Finasterid after I got my hairtransplant because at the same time, I got my first kid. I lost a lot of hair by stopping Fina. I told myself having a family now, more things are important than hair (I still do). Im now on the edge of either shaving all off, or doing a second transplant. But I have now 2 kids and I do think its a bit gay to be "afraid" of getting bald. On the other hand, Im well aware that looks are important in a marriage if we like it or not.
How do you think you'll manage or style your hair once it gets to the thinning or pattern of baldness that you consider is less than ideal? Close cut?

You gotta make sure it's actually ending up on your scalp and not your hair....that's the main issue with sprays actually instead of using a dropper or blunt syringe.

Very true. The trick is to spray close to the scalp.

I think it’s dumb that the default for guys the last 10-15 years has been shaving it all off if it starts to thin a little. That only looks good if you’re a big angry space marine type guy. It’s fine to have thinning hair and just cut it to a reasonable length, especially if you have a beard.

If I were 10-20 years older I wouldn’t care, but I’m in my mid 30s and like having hair. I see hair loss as a symptom of living in a fallen world and being exposed to constant low level environmental poisoning so there’s nothing wrong with taking steps to counteract it, within budget and reason.

Very true. The trick is to spray close to the scalp.

I think it’s dumb that the default for guys the last 10-15 years has been shaving it all off if it starts to thin a little. That only looks good if you’re a big angry space marine type guy. It’s fine to have thinning hair and just cut it to a reasonable length, especially if you have a beard.

If I were 10-20 years older I wouldn’t care, but I’m in my mid 30s and like having hair. I see hair loss as a symptom of living in a fallen world and being exposed to constant low level environmental poisoning so there’s nothing wrong with taking steps to counteract it, within budget and reason.

Oral minoxidil works and works well but it will turn you into a gorilla...

Im starting to wise up and realize that nuking my DHT might be a silly thing to do. I don't believe that DHT is simply a "bad hormone" that exists to make men bald.

This stuff almost killed me, DHT is a vital part of your T and without it none of my testosterone worked. I looked like a concentration camp survivor after a year of it, I strongly recommend NOT taking it. Better to go bald and hit the gym instead.

[
This stuff almost killed me, DHT is a vital part of your T and without it none of my testosterone worked. I looked like a concentration camp survivor after a year of it, I strongly recommend NOT taking it. Better to go bald and hit the gym instead.
Fact.

I never gave a hoot about going bald. Would rather be strong and virile.

If you're vain and worries about women..... Women are going to chose a bald stud over a fat ass with perfect locks 10/10 times. I had zero efforts with women during my post divorce period as a jacked bald dude....

On the subject of hair transplants, a young coworker of mine had a receding hairline and a thinning spot at the top back of his head, so he went to Turkey and got hair plugs around the beginning of this year. Apparently Turkey is known as a place to get competent work like this done for a good price.

They have grown out enough that his hair looks natural now. Another guy in the office has resolved to do the same.

Back