Fear of and getting rid of cockroaches

Ask your landlord to call an exterminator.

Always throw away food scraps out to the trash outside. For scraps like banana or orange peels you collect them in a bag in your refrigerator and throw them out before trash pickup day

That or we have an actual autist in our midst.

I get the obvious... I'm hoping OP can tell us what works. ;)
Well it's not "exterminating" them. If you can't keep your house clean enough to avoid creating a hospitable environment for them to breed then you're just going to have to tidy up the place and learn to live with them.

Unintentional or semi-intentional fed-posting could get us a "Shut it down! Shut it down!"

This is the key issue. Cockroaches don't live in homes with no food sources available to them. Keep your place spotless and they will find other destinations.
This is basically it, but I found in Central America that there were just so many of them that you could keep your place spotless and dry (eliminating moisture is of underrated importance in keeping cockroaches away) and even put down copious amounts of boric acid and you'd still see one or two a week. This applied to everyone's house I knew down there, not just mine. I figured if I could get to the point where I wasn't seeing them daily I was doing pretty well.

I wouldnt worry about them too much they wont harm you they just finding shelter and eating stuff, I even has a small hornets nest behind my couch in the lounge, just a solo hornet next made of clay, now and then it flys past but insects really dont want to harm anyone they jusy doing their thing, at least you have a bit of nature in your apartment, if you had a chicken they would eat them

You said you're in Brazil. I've never been, but if it's warm and humid like a lot of places I've lived in Latin America, you likely can't get rid of the cockroaches entirely. When I lived in my wife's country south of the border, I made it a goal to get to where I'd only see a roach maybe two or three times a week. They if you see even one daily you've got a full blown infestation, so I figured if I didn't see one every day I was going pretty well.

Keeping your place as clean as possible is one obvious thing. Another is to keep it as dry as possible. Cockroaches need moisture, so you want to wipe up any water on your counters, floor, shower, sink, or wherever as fast as possible. Supposedly they hate vinegar, so I'd keep some in a spray bottle and spray some in the cabinets under my sink and other places in the house I thought they might hide. A little around the bottom of doors leading outside too. Just a little, not so much that there would be an overwhelming scent of vinegar in the house.

One of the most important things in keeping the roaches under control was proper use of boric acid. I had to get it shipped from the US, which surprised me, so hopefully you can find it in Brazil. It's a powder that you put down in areas where the bugs are likely to walk. It sticks to their bodies and they ingest it while grooming themselves, which basically melts them from the inside, which is a nice thought became I despise the disgusting creatures too. They can't build up an immunity to it like they can to pesticides. This link seems to explain it pretty well:

I'm back in the US now, in a cold, dry part of the country where we don't have the flying cockroaches, giant centipedes, bot flies, kissing bugs (look it up if you don't know what it is, stuff of nightmares), and hordes of ants I had to deal with in Latin America. I don't miss them at all!
I had a fear of it since I was a kid. Every time I'd see one, women in the house would yell "BARATA, CUCARACHA!!!!!" and I would stick with it. I can't get rid of them entirely, but I hate seeing them by surprise, which is why I have poison near me as a sort of gun. I'd say an infestation is worse than just seeing the odd visitor I can stomp or poison individually. I'm insecure of this over the fact the poisoning in my house is DIY, but oh well. What really sucks is eating something, and the crumbs attracting the brown and reddish horde. That's how you know they're living among you or your poison is doing badly.

The dry thing is something I'm wary of. My lips keep getting dry and hurt because of how dry this place really is. I'll keep an eye out though, thanks.

Also, I got rid of the eggs I mentioned earlier. Took courage and sleep, but I don't think there are more eggs. No risk of infestation, but I'm probably hiring someone to poison eventually, just to be safe. That door they put the eggs on is also falling apart.

Literally me on the Venezuelan refugee borough.

Ask your landlord to call an exterminator.
Got entangled with more things currently. I'll keep it in mind. I also called a technician for the internet and local TV. Took a long long time.

and throw them out before trash pickup day
I'm very curious on this. There are laws in some states about trash in apartments. It makes me curious. Some places there is no real trash, but just a guy paid to yell "TRASH!!!" and everyone gives their trash to his big bin. Be it 2 or 40 floor apartments or houses.

I forgot to say, but I sometimes think of this song and Turkiyye when I see that type of bug.

I don't wanna offend any Turks, Erdogun, or break the rules, but this is the official theme song of this thread.

That or we have an actual autist in our midst.

I get the obvious... I'm hoping OP can tell us what works. ;)
Kind of overlooked this, but I don't really put much care about insults or jokes on my person.

What I do not like in general is some users' seeming obsession with accusing users of being feds and especially juuls. I wish mods would step in on this, even though I am not offended or lose sleep over it. It very much is judging a brother, which Jesus warns begets judgement.

"Everyone I dislike or suspect = neocon Jew kite" is the cancer that plagues all right wing forums. Don't bring it into a sleep deprivation made thread about cockroach infestations, please.

I'm hoping OP can tell us what works. ;)
Smashing cockroach eggs, for me. Got nasty, but better than sleeping with them staring at you for days. Got them with a paper, then put them on the sink for the cleansing ritual (almost literally). Not my problem if this messes with plumbing, but it's a 8 mm egg.

Kind of overlooked this, but I don't really put much care about insults or jokes on my person.

What I do not like in general is some users' seeming obsession with accusing users of being feds and especially juuls. I wish mods would step in on this, even though I am not offended or lose sleep over it. It very much is judging a brother, which Jesus warns begets judgement.

"Everyone I dislike or suspect = neocon Jew kite" is the cancer that plagues all right wing forums. Don't bring it into a sleep deprivation made thread about cockroach infestations, please.
Relax dude.

I didn't call you a fed.

Just said it's a weird topic to me.

Seems like professional help would be the solution to all of this.

Smashing cockroach eggs, for me. Got nasty, but better than sleeping with them staring at you for days. Got them with a paper, then put them on the sink for the cleansing ritual (almost literally). Not my problem if this messes with plumbing, but it's a 8 mm egg.
Sounds like you've got a proven solution. Best of luck!

I haven’t been on this forum long (although I was a decade+ long member of rvf) but you don’t seem like a troll to me.

What you’re seeing is probably a reaction of members being overly cautious. With that Catholic memo that went out a while back it’s clear that the Feds are now targeting religious groups. What they would get out of monitoring this place is anyone’s guess, but you never know. Some guys might remember back on the old forum there was a high profile bust of a guy who was a member. I won’t name him here, but his screen name was in the federal documents and rvf was named as a discussion forum, so you never know.

As for your cockroach problem, I’ve never had one, but I live in the US. Lots of good suggestions in the thread.

What they would get out of monitoring this place is anyone’s guess, but you never know. Some guys might remember back on the old forum there was a high profile bust of a guy who was a member. I won’t name him here, but his screen name was in the federal documents and rvf was named as a discussion forum, so you never know.
I'm Brazilian and (((diagnosed))) with you know what. Unless the Brazilian CIA (ABIN, research if at all interested) looks into me, I have no Jewish genes or fed connections. I'm mildly curious on who were the literal feds of RVF now that you say.

I'd like to talk about cockroaches again, though

Haven't been seeing the bastards anymore, but I haven't been eating at home lately. This is a conundrum that is pretty annoying. Small crumbs will attract small roaches, since the poison isn't the best. I keep it clean, but it kind of sucks keeping trash on a fridge or putting way too much poison on the bin itself. Outside of that, I don't own a really big table here, so it's a mess to eat something big that leaves crumbs.

I strongly dislike creepy crawlies of any variety. I'm not a particularly clean guy so I think I've just been blessed to not have to deal with them too much. I've had an ant infestation once that I just spray-bombed and then monitored. Thank God it's mostly only been one-off bugs outside of that. And not to say these problems don't get very real, because like I said I've had them get real, but I definitely also believe that we have to be careful not to let the fear of it become worse than the reality.

Back